Who is your Gopher MVP in the dominating win over Illinois?

• Rodney Smith

Votes: 76 88.4%
  • Shannon Brooks

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Tanner Morgan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tyler Johnson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Antoine Winfield Jr

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 7.0%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Smith was I think the most impressive but plenty of players deserve credit :drink:

I hate these MVP polls because, except for exceptional performances (like TM's against Purdue), you can always cite multiple performances that were very good and equally important.

As great as Rodney was, I would say this game belongs to the defense and the offensive line.

Way to go, Shannon Brooks! I think SB, in his effective return from a long injury absence, played every bit as well as Rodney Smith, barring Smith's long 64 yard non-TD run. Brooks also kept the team from having to rely completely on Smith, saving Smith from probable exhaustion. The only real difference between the two today is the "pitch count" that kept Brooks from garnering more carries.

Rodney Smith, and play of Oline.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Way to go, Shannon Brooks! I think SB, in his effective return from a long injury absence, played every bit as well as Rodney Smith, barring Smith's long 64 yard non-TD run. Brooks also kept the team from having to rely completely on Smith, saving Smith from probable exhaustion. The only real difference between the two today is the "pitch count" that kept Brooks from garnering more carries.

Agree that it's great to have BOTH on the field in the same game. Smith definitely is getting his groove back and Brooks is hungry to follow.

For some reason I want Mo in the mix too but realize that I'm probably wrong. This is Shannon's and Rodney's last season...Mo will have more opportunities in the future.

My favorite run from Rodney in this game wasn’t one of the long ones. It was the one where a defender flew in to hit him, crumpled at Rodney’s feet and then he ran for another 2-3 yards.

Rodney had a collection of great runs today. Took out a DB head on in a bone shivering collision and gained a few more yards, on another play I still don’t know how he juked out of a TFL situation with a blitzer in his face as he received the handoff, and he generally showed great balance, burst all day; ran hard all day. And, this is the first game I thought he looked healthy (for a half, anyway).

Rodney had a collection of great runs today. Took out a DB head on in a bone shivering collision and gained a few more yards, on another play I still don’t know how he juked out of a TFL situation with a blitzer in his face as he received the handoff, and he generally showed great balance, burst all day; ran hard all day. And, this is the first game I thought he looked healthy (for a half, anyway).

Agree. We saw the old Rodney at full-speed. Really fun to watch. He is a very under-rated back outside of Gopher circles. He just has a knack for getting extra yards he has no business gaining, and the means he uses to do that can differ with each play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kamal Martin. Defense allowed 3 points...gotta be someone on defense. Kamal led the team in tackles again.

Tyler Johnson is an option??

#oneofus

TBF had several nice catches. If the hands aren’t mentioned in every pre-draft assessment I’ll be shocked. Everything else is there to be elite and he’s still a great receiver but does seem to have an inordinate amount of drops. It’s interesting but seems like he goes and makes an unbelievable clutch catch on the next play, almost every time...

Went with Rodney but would be tempted to go with the entire defense. To go from giving up 55 points last year to essentially shutting them down completely this year is a pretty impressive accomplishment.

Top Bottom