Claeys explains why he resigned

Guy didn’t get his way so he bailed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

If that is true, wouldn't he be better off getting fired as opposed to resigning? Assume that by resigning he is losing whatever contract protections he had. Most coordinators have at least 1 or 2 additional years on their contract that gets paid out when they get fired.

I've never met the man so am talking out of my a$$ here, but my take on Claeys is that he's an honorable and simple man (simple in Lynyrd Skynyrd terms - not derogatory) that probably doesn't care a whole lot about milking the last few bucks out of a contract.

"...And be a simple kind of man.
Be something you love and understand.
Be a simple kind of man.
Won't you do this for me son,
If you can?
Forget your lust for the rich man's gold
All that you need is in your soul,
And you can do this if you try.
All that I want for you my son,
Is to be satisfied."

If I wasn't a Goph alum and fan, I'd advise Lovie Smith to hire Claeys. I get the feeling he'd fit in there.

If I wasn't a Goph alum and fan, I'd advise Lovie Smith to hire Claeys. I get the feeling he'd fit in there.

He wouldn’t fit in there at all. Illinois runs a defense that is schematically the opposite of what Claeys likes to run.

I didn't read the article, I hit my max articles for the month, but if him and Leach agreed that he should resign, that's one thing. If not, I think he should have stuck it out until the end of the year.

Go incognito. Or open the link in another browser.

He wouldn’t fit in there at all. Illinois runs a defense that is schematically the opposite of what Claeys likes to run.

LOL. And that defensive scheme is doing so well that the D coordinator was recently fired.

Lovie doesn't strike me as someone who would want somebody coming in and doing his job better than him. No chance.

LOL. And that defensive scheme is doing so well that the D coordinator was recently fired.

Are you talking about him and his embarrassing defense at Wazzu? Or the Illinois defense also bad?

I am talking about one program that is zone heavy likely not being a good fit for a defensive coach who likes to run more than 50% man.

Are you talking about him and his embarrassing defense at Wazzu? Or the Illinois defense also bad?

His defense at Wazzu was embarrassing? Huh. I know they had a couple bad games at the end, but certainly you wouldn’t make that statement based on 2 games, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His defense at Wazzu was embarrassing? Huh. I know they had a couple bad games at the end, but certainly you wouldn’t make that statement based on 2 games, right?

I would say any defense that gives up 50 in a half is embarrassing.
That’s just me though. Actually I bet Tracy himself would say it was embarrassing as well so probably not just me.

Funny you responded to me....not the guy who doesn’t understand why Claeys would be a horrible fit for Illinois as he suggested.

I would say any defense that gives up 50 in a half is embarrassing.
That’s just me though. Actually I bet Tracy himself would say it was embarrassing as well so probably not just me.

Funny you responded to me....not the guy who doesn’t understand why Claeys would be a horrible fit for Illinois as he suggested.

So when you say, “his embarrassing defense at Wazzu” you meant during 1/2 of a game? Well, you got me there - that half was atrocious.

So when you say, “his embarrassing defense at Wazzu” you meant during 1/2 of a game? Well, you got me there - that half was atrocious.

Gotta give you an A for effort, no doubt about it

Top Bottom