Urban Meyer breaks down gophers passing game

BTN hit it out of the park this year with these Urban Meyer / DiNardo sessions. Meyer is very good.

Urban sounds like a pretty smart guy there.

What an interesting video. Thanks for posting.

Okay, I'll admit I have always been a fan of Urban Meyer, and mainly credited him for being a great recruiter, but this BTN show blew that al up.

Urban came from the MAC like a lot of future B10 coaches, and I am pretty sure Tim Beckmcan who Illinois hired once could not have delivered this tutorial.

Urban Meyer provided some great material here, and I think all GH posters should be required to sit in a quiet room for 5 hours or so or Urban Meyer offensive theory before we ever post again an any Gopher related offensive calls. (this is coming from a Glen Mason cut blocking, zone blocking disciple)

For the record, I think we have not seen the last of Coach Urban Meyer, I think the OSU situation became too ugly, even if he was not pushed out, and he is not done coaching The man is just a footall offensive mind, and clearly a leader as well. Maybe the new coach Day will match him, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

So, is it that simple, and automatic? What I mean is, if there are 6 defenders in the box, pass; and if there are 5 defenders in the box, hand it off?

Seems really basic, and almost foolproof.

And what about the part of the RPO where the QB puts the ball in the tailback's belly, and then either gives him the ball or pulls it out and throws it. Is that a 'second' read of the defense?

Well, it does not hurt that Urban Meyer teams have more talent than most rivals, which makes the crushing loss at Iowa even more astounding, and supports the views of the skeptics.

Meyer is wisely game planning based on tendencies and assumptions about the talent performing, and once in a while the talent does not perform or the opposing talent overperforms, guesses right, or just comes up with a new and better approach.

I still like Urban Meyer a lot as a coach, and am starting to appreciate Dantonio and Ferentz a bit more, since they have a very different approach and do pretty well.

So, is it that simple, and automatic? What I mean is, if there are 6 defenders in the box, pass; and if there are 5 defenders in the box, hand it off?

And what about the part of the RPO where the QB puts the ball in the tailback's belly, and then either gives him the ball or pulls it out and throws it. Is that a 'second' read of the defense?

In another video, Urban did a demonstration on that.

Well worth your time.

Last edited:

Heres another good video of the RPO. Pedersen explains at 3:18 that one of the reads is when there are two WR's on one side of ball and two CB's covering. The inside WR will run a bubble route and if the inside CB is going to play attack the bubble and pursue, Wentz will throw a slant to the outside WR, if the inside CB plays zone and sits back they will throw to the inside WR.

Purdue’s defense is so bad. They knew what was coming and still couldn’t stop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purdue’s defense is so bad. They knew what was coming and still couldn’t stop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like they really didn't even scheme to stop it though. Makes you wonder if they felt like they didn't have the personnel to stop it anyway.

Both Dinardo and Meyer very complimentary during the segment. It’s pretty clear why Urban is one of the better coaches in CFB history as being an Xs and Os guru and a great teacher helped make his teams great going back to Utah, BG, FL. He makes it sound simplistic but easy to see why good spread teams are so dangerous offensively when the offense executes, defenses make for easy reads, and maybe aren’t elite personnel-wise.

Maybe just me but it seems like in recent years including this year either a) don’t always play to the numbers or b) don’t execute - blocks, timing, etc.. unblocked defenders even with favorable numbers have played some havoc this year. Still, 4-0 so hard to complain (too much).

I remember when Baylor was putting up stupid numbers with a great version of the spread - both run and pass - and maybe that was in part because they didn’t try to hew to a certain percentage of run vs pass, and had a system the players and coaches could master, accurate QBs, etc

Top Bottom