Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Claeys resigns from WSU

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsmaroonandgold View Post
    You take a lot of shots at his head coaching ability. If he was so bad, how many years do you think PJ should have before he tops Claeys' 9 win season. Claeys was awful, so that should be pretty easy, right?
    Ah, good old JG. He once posted about recruiting and football things. Now, 90% are shots at TC. Really sad. The latest round is basically trying to imply TC has been a bad HC and DC. Stats and records be damned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Spoofin; 10-05-2019 at 07:35 AM.
    Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    Ah, good old JG. He once posted about recruiting and football things. Now, 90% are shots and fat jokes about TC. Really sad. The latest round is basically trying to imply TC has been a bad HC and DC. Stats and records be damned.

I’ll leave GH for a year if you find one post of me making fun of TC’s weight if you agree to leave if you can’t. Deal?

Or were you making sh&t up again?

I wish good things for former coaches, at least until they start ripping the U.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    Maybe Mike Leach relates to defensive coordinators the way Mike Zimmer relates to offensive coordinators.
    You're probably not too far off in that analogy.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsmaroonandgold View Post
    You take a lot of shots at his head coaching ability. If he was so bad, how many years do you think PJ should have before he tops Claeys' 9 win season. Claeys was awful, so that should be pretty easy, right?
    I think it will happen soon with PJ. Definitely before year 6.

If Claeys is the mastermind you think, why hasnít he gotten any other HC jobs? Why was he fired mid-season as a DC?

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Iíll leave GH for a year if you find one post of me making fun of TCís weight if you agree to leave if you canít. Deal?

Or were you making sh&t up again?
    Nah, I might have got that part wrong. You spend all your time doing non-fat related shots. I edited my original post - donít want to mislead.

Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

Tracy is a good defensive coordinator who will land at another school. Kill's staff was together for so long, they were a good cohesive unit. But now that they have separated out, they have struggled working for other head coaches. Maybe Kill will get the band back together somewhere else.

Nah, I might have got that part wrong. You spend all your time doing non-fat related shots. I edited my original post - don’t want to mislead.

You also have that part wrong. I’ve been on record saying I like TC and thought he was a good DC. Maybe the best DC we’ve had in 40 years. My issue is with those who think it was a mistake to fire him as HC and selectively remember every defensive performance like it was the Wazzu bowl game.

You also have that part wrong. Iíve been on record saying I like TC and thought he was a good DC. Maybe the best DC weíve had in 40 years. My issue is with those who think it was a mistake to fire him as HC and selectively remember every defensive performance like it was the Wazzu bowl game.
    I did? Wanna make the same bet about me finding a post with you taking a shot at TC?

I did? Wanna make the same bet about me finding a post with you taking a shot at TC?

Yes - post #51

Enjoy your sabbatical and see you next year.

I wish Claeys the best.
    Don't know where he'll end up. Imagine he still wants to coach.

Coaching defense for a Mike Leach team is probably tough.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

I think it will happen soon with PJ. Definitely before year 6.

If Claeys is the mastermind you think, why hasnít he gotten any other HC jobs? Why was he fired mid-season as a DC?
    1) Nobody said he was a 'mastermind'.
    2) I have no idea why he hasn't been hired as a HC.
    3) Was he actually 'fired mid-season as a DC'? Has that actually been established as a fact?

My only points regarding Claeys as Gopher coach: He won 9 games in a single season here, and that's a rare accomplishment at Minnesota.
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

The greatest DC ever and head coach extraordinaire? Impossible.
    I always throught Jay Sawvel was the "mastermind" behind what success we had with our D back in the Kill/Claeys days. Now they're both out of coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Livingat45north View Post
    I always throught Jay Sawvel was the "mastermind" behind what success we had with our D back in the Kill/Claeys days. Now they're both out of coaching.
    I know a former player that played under Kill with Claeys as DC. He was a defensive starter. He's always said Sawvel was a good coach, but Claeys was a defensive genius.

Default Claeys resigns from WSU

Other than a couple of slightly above average seasons, thereís been a lot of mediocre to bad defense played here. Kill/Claeys were a big improvement over Brewster and Mason, but I wouldnít necessarily say weíve seen a huge drop off under the current regime. Weíve seen good, bad and ugly, depending on the week, but the current situation isnít as bad as some are making it out to be. It obviously needs to get better to get where they want to be, but I donít see any reason why it canít. Itís not as though they need a major overhaul.

Defensive ranking (FBS) by total yards per game:

Fleck

2019: 40
    2018: 54
    2017: 32

Kill/Claeys

2016: 21
    2015: 24
    2014: 40
    2013: 42
    2012: 33
    2011: 77

Brewster

2010: 76
    2009: 63
    2008: 81
    2007: 120

Mason

2006: 113
    2005: 80
    2004: 76
    2003: 34
    2002: 49
    2001: 92
    2000: 57

Last edited by PitinoFan; 10-05-2019 at 09:15 AM.