St. Thomas headed to Summit League

I do think that maybe some useful football walk-ons may be a bit more inclined to play there, even if they have to pay their way.

Where would UST play their games? It couldn't be in that cracker box gym of theirs.

There are nice facilities in the Summit. USD plays in a new arena. NDSU has a recent remodel/rebuild of the BSA. SDSU always had a decent facility and extensive additions/renovations are ongoing and in the works. I believe Omaha has a nice arena, relatively new. Same with Denver. Most have a capacity of 5,000 to 6,000. Very seldom, if ever, do they play in front anything like a capacity crowd. SDSU is generally regarded as the best atmosphere and it averages less than 3,000 buts in the seats. If UST can put 2,000-3,000 people in their gym, the capacity is sufficient and may have more of a home court advantage in a cracker box if they draw anything close to capacity, especially when compared to a USD or UMKC who play in front of virtually nobody.

To make up for the lack of a "big league" feel at the gym, as an attraction to recruits, UST will probably need to look at constructing or upgrading team and practice facilities to match what the top Summit programs have done. No doubt a lot of this has already been thought out and major donor constituencies have already been consulted. No school makes the leap without having a good idea if the money will be there.

It might be, too, that UST eventually looks to construct an on-campus arena similar to the top Summit arenas. But those costs are running in the $55 - $65 million range. I imagine the cost in the T.C. would be higher. But I would imagine that if the ultimate goal is the Big East, and I have to imagine that it is, then playing in a facility like the Target Center may be the ultimate goal. But I believe that some teams - U-Conn maybe - play at both smaller on campus homes and in larger, off campus public facilities, so an "interim" on campus facility wouldn't necessarily be dispositive to bigger Big East dreams.

I do think that maybe some useful football walk-ons may be a bit more inclined to play there, even if they have to pay their way.

Someone who has a walk-on offer to the U is going to instead walk on at St. Thomas? Huh?

There are nice facilities in the Summit. USD plays in a new arena. NDSU has a recent remodel/rebuild of the BSA. SDSU always had a decent facility and extensive additions/renovations are ongoing and in the works. I believe Omaha has a nice arena, relatively new. Same with Denver. Most have a capacity of 5,000 to 6,000. Very seldom, if ever, do they play in front anything like a capacity crowd. SDSU is generally regarded as the best atmosphere and it averages less than 3,000 buts in the seats. If UST can put 2,000-3,000 people in their gym, the capacity is sufficient and may have more of a home court advantage in a cracker box if they draw anything close to capacity, especially when compared to a USD or UMKC who play in front of virtually nobody.

To make up for the lack of a "big league" feel at the gym, as an attraction to recruits, UST will probably need to look at constructing or upgrading team and practice facilities to match what the top Summit programs have done. No doubt a lot of this has already been thought out and major donor constituencies have already been consulted. No school makes the leap without having a good idea if the money will be there.

It might be, too, that UST eventually looks to construct an on-campus arena similar to the top Summit arenas. But those costs are running in the $55 - $65 million range. I imagine the cost in the T.C. would be higher. But I would imagine that if the ultimate goal is the Big East, and I have to imagine that it is, then playing in a facility like the Target Center may be the ultimate goal. But I believe that some teams - U-Conn maybe - play at both smaller on campus homes and in larger, off campus public facilities, so an "interim" on campus facility wouldn't necessarily be dispositive to bigger Big East dreams.

Several of the Big East schools have quite small on-campus arenas, which mainly host women’s b-ball and non-b-ball contests. Their men play exclusively in larger off-campus facilities.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_East_Conference#Facilities

Someone who has a walk-on offer to the U is going to instead walk on at St. Thomas? Huh?

He’s saying if St Thomas is non-scholarship Pioneer. Instead of PWO at the U with little chance to contribute, maybe instead be a starter at UST.

De facto, though, they’ll find players scholarships. Same as happens at DIII schools now.

He’s saying if St Thomas is non-scholarship Pioneer. Instead of PWO at the U with little chance to contribute, maybe instead be a starter at UST.

De facto, though, they’ll find players scholarships. Same as happens at DIII schools now.

Yes, this.

And maybe of 20 walk-ons that do it over a period of time, 17-18 really wouldn’t have contributed for us if we had a crystal ball. But maybe we lose our next Cashman, recruited by UST ironically...but maybe the allure of a 2nd tier D1 would win the battle next time.

Yes, this.

And maybe of 20 walk-ons that do it over a period of time, 17-18 really wouldn’t have contributed for us if we had a crystal ball. But maybe we lose our next Cashman, recruited by UST ironically...but maybe the allure of a 2nd tier D1 would win the battle next time.

I knew exactly what you were saying, and it doesn't make any sense. No one is choosing to walk on at St. Thomas if they have a walk-on offer from the U. The U gets walk-ons all the time who have scholarship offers from DI schools.

You obviously didn’t get it and still don’t, if you don’t understand something as simple as there is no such thing as a walk-on at a non-scholarship program.

That said, I think it is more likely that a U PWO would transfer to UST after giving it a shot at the U first, than to go straight to UST first.

I went to Minnesota, my kids are still in elementary school but schools like st. Thomas, St bens, st Olaf, Gustavus etc.. won’t even be in consideration when the time comes. If paying that type of money you might as well consider small elite liberal arts schools out east that actually have reach, reputation,and alumni connections beyond Minneapolis. For those kids at st Thomas that couldn’t get into Minnesota(a ton of the people I have met) they should have probably saved the cash and went to St. Cloud State or Mankato, etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This post exposes the God complex that some parents like this guy have when it comes the children they think they own. This clown thinks he can dictate what colleges his 10 year old and soon to be 18 year old children will pick. So apparently he will manipulate them or extort them via the moneybag where they go to college.

Give me a break.. what BS

I was accepted into the U of M, and UMD and decided at the last minute to go to Saint Thomas. I probably should have tried harder to get into places like Northwestern or Notre Dame, but I was lazy and sort of liked living in Minnesota.

Thankfully my Mom and Dad stayed out of my way and let me make my own decisions as an 18 year old unlike this guy who decided already his children cannot make their own minds up as 18 year old adults.

What an A hole. My brother graduated from West Point. He did not do that because my dad "allowed" it, he just made it happen. In fact, most of hte family did not even know he was going after it until after he had the appointment. Wake up

The truth is if I could do it all over again, I might not have picked Saint Thomas or the other two I applied to, but at least it was my choice. Hell, I probably would have gone to De Paul, Marquette or Georgetown, or as I said tried harder to get into Northwestern (maybe taken a couple of ACT prep classes that no one I knew ever took back then- I had a 30, zero prep... Oh well, the U of M would may well not have been my choice either way in retrospect, but out of respect to my dad then graduated in 1961 I am forever a Gopher fan.

Trying to assert control of 17-18 year old children is an arrogant and failed path to pursue.

Last edited:

per Shooter:

There’s whispering that Division III University of St. Thomas, hoping to land in the Division I Summit League, is considering building a basketball-hockey arena on the site of the Tommies football stadium. If that happens, it wouldn’t be surprising if the football team, probably headed for the non-scholarship Pioneer League, moves to Alliance Field for home games.

Meanwhile, St. Thomas has talked to the WCHA about joining for men’s and women’s hockey.

By the way, don’t count out the revenue-sharing Big East Conference for St. Thomas.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/10/...on-likes-him-for-manager-of-year-100-percent/

Go Gophers!!

If paying that type of money you might as well consider small elite liberal arts schools out east that actually have reach, reputation,and alumni connections beyond Minneapolis.

Don't forget about Carleton and Macalester

This post exposes the God complex that some parents like this guy have when it comes the children they think they own. This clown thinks he can dictate what colleges his 10 year old and soon to be 18 year old children will pick. So apparently he will manipulate them or extort them via the moneybag where they go to college.

I was accepted into the U of M, and UMD and decided at the last minute to go to Saint Thomas. I probably should have tried harder to get into places like Northwestern or Notre Dame, but I was lazy and sort of liked living in Minnesota.

Thankfully my Mom and Dad stayed out of my way and let me make my own decisions as an 18 year old unlike this guy who decided already his children cannot make their own minds up as 18 year old adults.

What an A hole. My brother graduated from West Point. He did not do that because my dad "allowed" it, he just made it happen. In fact, most of hte family did not even know he was going after it until after he had the appointment. Wake up

The truth is if I could do it all over again, I might not have picked Saint Thomas or the other two I applied to, but at least it was my choice. Hell, I probably would have gone to De Paul, Marquette or Georgetown, or as I said tried harder to get into Northwestern (maybe taken a couple of ACT prep classes that no one I knew ever took back then- I had a 30, zero prep... Oh well, the U of M would may well not have been my choice either way in retrospect, but out of respect to my dad then graduated in 1961 I am forever a Gopher fan.

Trying to assert control of 17-18 year old children is an arrogant and failed path to pursue.

I have no idea if our family tradition of all of my siblings, all of our kids and all of our grandchildren picked their choice of schools on their own. The thought behind this is that it was the best way to make important adult decisions on your own. Each family has their own way, their own financial situations. But what i am baffled by is the idea that this is the greatest place for everyone. People act like it is a elite school and difficult to get into. That is simply not true. 50% of all applicants get in. Never understood the provincial attachment.

I don’t think it is a good idea.

First of all, where are they getting the money to pay for all of this “non-academics” costs? It will be significantly higher expenses for what? Some bragging rights that they are a “sorta” D1 school? I think they would be able to complete at that level and may take several recruits from NDSU.

Secondly, there is only so much “screen time” coverage of college sports in this professional sports town. I don’t want them taking some of what little time that is given to the U.

Thirdly, UST would create a mini “NDSU” syndrome fanbase in this part of the state. A fanbase that would overly inflate their success at a lower level of competition. The Sports casters would rub this in our face every day.

The U would still be the only “real” D1 school in the state. UST would move up to SDSU level, which just makes it a token D1 that in no way competes with a B1G school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is not parents thinking they own their children, it is a matter of practically thinking through the opinions. My kids were science/math focused, so going to an expensive Liberal Arts college was not an option. College is how you apply yourself and what you get out of it, not necessarily where you go.

Back when you and I went to college it was very affordable, now it is very expensive. Since I helped pay for college, the St’s schools were out of the question for my kids, and they graduated with very little debt! They got to pick which state school they wanted to attend.

My kids will have plenty of choice when it comes to picking a school, it just won’t be a overpriced sub par education from a MIAC school. You yourself said in hindsight you probably wouldn’t have made the same decision again. Maybe if your parents had pushed you and provided some guidance you wouldn’t be wondering what if and having regrets years down the road.

Is it possible that different people might want different things out of their college experience? It's almost like if you google "I am a narcissist that thinks my opinion is bible" you get Gopherhole as your top result and it just draws people here. Wow.

I don’t think it is a good idea.

First of all, where are they getting the money to pay for all of this “non-academics” costs? It will be significantly higher expenses for what? Some bragging rights that they are a “sorta” D1 school? I think they would be able to complete at that level and may take several recruits from NDSU.

Secondly, there is only so much “screen time” coverage of college sports in this professional sports town. I don’t want them taking some of what little time that is given to the U.

Thirdly, UST would create a mini “NDSU” syndrome fanbase in this part of the state. A fanbase that would overly inflate their success at a lower level of competition. The Sports casters would rub this in our face every day.

The U would still be the only “real” D1 school in the state. UST would move up to SDSU level, which just makes it a token D1 that in no way competes with a B1G school.

You will not have to worry about losing screen time or anything else if the Gophers are elite. Most the St. Thomas folks i know do not even follow the Gophers. They will of course pick up fans by winning as you say in a lesser conference. But the truth is, everyone loves a winner. It is the Gophers job to win conference titles and then some.

You will not have to worry about losing screen time or anything else if the Gophers are elite. Most the St. Thomas folks i know do not even follow the Gophers. They will of course pick up fans by winning as you say in a lesser conference. But the truth is, everyone loves a winner. It is the Gophers job to win conference titles and then some.

I understand that winning can cure most problems. I just see what it is like up in northern MN where many people talk up the Bison like they could beat Alabama! Just keep it in perspective.

I understand that winning can cure most problems. I just see what it is like up in northern MN where many people talk up the Bison like they could beat Alabama! Just keep it in perspective.

We have fans who think we could beat Alabama ! Different in each sport. In hoops, a small school can become a real player by hiring the right coach and St. Thomas may just be positioned to do so !

We have fans who think we could beat Alabama ! Different in each sport. In hoops, a small school can become a real player by hiring the right coach and St. Thomas may just be positioned to do so !

I bet they get a guy who's a good X's and O's guy; and can manage a game.

And there is not one football fan who thinks we can beat Alabama.

I bet they get a guy who's a good X's and O's guy; and can manage a game.

And there is not one football fan who thinks we can beat Alabama.

Are you taking a shot here? Anyways they already have that in Tauer. Will be interesting to see how long he stays. After he goes, will be an interesting batch they’ll have to go after. UST will honestly hurt Wiskeys recruiting more than the U. We will go after different kids for the most part. UST will be a good job in a good league and it will make the U have to be better.

My kids will have plenty of choice when it comes to picking a school, it just won’t be a overpriced sub par education from a MIAC school. You yourself said in hindsight you probably wouldn’t have made the same decision again. Maybe if your parents had pushed you and provided some guidance you wouldn’t be wondering what if and having regrets years down the road.

yes, the MIAC schools are expensive. Of course, most expensive schools tend to offer more financial aid options. but "Sub-par education?" I think that anyone who goes to an MIAC school and invests some effort will come away with an excellent education. It all depends on what you want out of college.

if you are looking at college strictly as preparation for a career, then the MIAC is probably not the best choice. Shoot, you can go to a 2-year Technical school and come away with the skills needed for a good-paying career.

on the other hand, if you are looking for more of a total college experience, with smaller class sizes and lots of opportunities to get involved in campus life and student organizations, the MIAC might be just right. Providing that the financing works out.

I have a niece who went to Harvard. I have never asked my sister what it cost, but she made it work, and believe me, she is not overly wealthy. Put three kids through college on a teachers' salary as a divorced single mother. the kids who did not go to Harvard went to Luther College in Decorah and St. Mary's in Winona - that's two private schools and Harvard.

College choice should be 100% about the type of experience you want to have and your family’s personal values (like Catholic school for example) and ability to pay.

You can get a great education on YouTube, or the public library, if you’re properly motivated.

The thing that matters much more in job/career, is what you major in!

Last edited:

I knew exactly what you were saying, and it doesn't make any sense. No one is choosing to walk on at St. Thomas if they have a walk-on offer from the U. The U gets walk-ons all the time who have scholarship offers from DI schools.

Well UST doesn't have athletic scholarships so technically everybody is a walk-on. I know of at least two MIAC guys, Jared Streit who was at SJU and David Simmet who was at UST, that chose the MIAC over gopher and Wisconsin PWO football offers. These are just two that I know of but I'm sure there's plenty more examples.

"Simmet, a senior, drew some Division I interest in high school and received preferred walk-on offers form Minnesota and Wisconsin.

https://www.twincities.com/2015/12/01/st-thomas-tackle-david-simmet-leads-in-out-of-the-trenches/

"He had a walk-on football offer from the University of Minnesota and had a Division II football offer from Southwest Minnesota State. Streit also had Division III basketball offers besides St. John's."

https://www.sctimes.com/story/sport...bringing-recruits-new-assistant-sju/29045897/

And then you have former gopher walk-ons like Danny Pietrezewski, Josh Parks, Blake Webber Jacques Perra, Jaran Roste and Mike Delich and former Penn State walk-on Jackson Erdmann who all chose to transfer to MIAC schools, some after only a semester.

Last edited:

Regardless, for *football* I don’t think UST in the Pioneer will “hurt” Gophers football any more than the Dakotas schools do.

We need a spectrum of levels and opportunities for our high school players!

IMO, comparing under graduate degrees is fruitless labor. As a 50 year old Augsburg Alumnus I have found where the student went at the graduate level to be way more important than where he or she studied at the undergraduate school.

What are you looking for after graduation, work or a graduate degree?

If you want to stay local, a degree from UST will do. Leaving town is a big if.

Grad school... it's grades, the score on thatever test you take, and recommandations.

My buddy's kids went to Augsburg for undergrad, they are now at Duke and Carnegie-Mellon.

You mean getting into grad school. If you can get in at MIT or Cal Tech, usually means you did something right in undergrad. But I agree, you don’t necessarily need an “elite” undergrad to get into some very nice grad programs.

Regardless, again, I would argue your major, for undergrad, or the topic if the work you do as a grad student, is what can really help drive your career opportunity afterward.

yes, the MIAC schools are expensive. Of course, most expensive schools tend to offer more financial aid options. but "Sub-par education?" I think that anyone who goes to an MIAC school and invests some effort will come away with an excellent education. It all depends on what you want out of college.

if you are looking at college strictly as preparation for a career, then the MIAC is probably not the best choice. Shoot, you can go to a 2-year Technical school and come away with the skills needed for a good-paying career.

on the other hand, if you are looking for more of a total college experience, with smaller class sizes and lots of opportunities to get involved in campus life and student organizations, the MIAC might be just right. Providing that the financing works out.

I have a niece who went to Harvard. I have never asked my sister what it cost, but she made it work, and believe me, she is not overly wealthy. Put three kids through college on a teachers' salary as a divorced single mother. the kids who did not go to Harvard went to Luther College in Decorah and St. Mary's in Winona - that's two private schools and Harvard.

College choice should be 100% about the type of experience you want to have and your family’s personal values (like Catholic school for example) and ability to pay.

You can get a great education on YouTube, or the public library, if you’re properly motivated.

The thing that matters much more in job/career, is what you major in!

WTF? So college is just for the experience? What sort of entitled families do you come from? Who has $50-$150k to pay for an “experience”?

Of course college is preparation for a career, and that has a lot to do with your major and what effort you put into it. College is a great experience no matter where you go. It is a perfect transition into adulthood in a semi-controlled atmosphere (have a place to live, food to eat and some requirements to meet, etc...). When you graduate with a degree, you better have a very good idea of how you are going to make a living or else you Fckd up big time!

WTF? So college is just for the experience? What sort of entitled families do you come from? Who has $50-$150k to pay for an “experience”?

Of course college is preparation for a career, and that has a lot to do with your major and what effort you put into it. College is a great experience no matter where you go. It is a perfect transition into adulthood in a semi-controlled atmosphere (have a place to live, food to eat and some requirements to meet, etc...). When you graduate with a degree, you better have a very good idea of how you are going to make a living or else you Fckd up big time!

This is in the college basketball forum. The people choosing UST through scholarship pay zero, nada, zilch. So the experience is the thing for the 13 on scholarship.

Top Bottom