Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default St. Thomas headed to Summit League

Wow.

As a Tommie alum I'm glad to hear this.

Wow indeed. Good for them. It will be great to finally have another D1 basketball program in state.

Go Gophers!!

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    Wow indeed. Good for them. It will be great to finally have another D1 basketball program in state.

Go Gophers!!
    I agree. Gophers wont have excuse anymore of being the only D1 basketball school.

I will be going to some games.

When do they make the move?

This is awesome. I always thought it was embarassing that a state of our size had only one D1 program.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJamesMD View Post
    I agree. Gophers wont have excuse anymore of being the only D1 basketball school.

I will be going to some games.

Potentially 2021. I'm guessing they will then be FCS for football

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJamesMD View Post
    The link to the press release from UST is not working. It does say they've received an invitation from the Summit League. I would assume St. Thomas will accept it. As far as basketball, schools reclassifying their athletic programs to D1 aren't eligible for the NCAA Tournament until their 5th season. So if St. Thomas starts its reclassification next school year (2020-21), Tommies will eligible for March Madness in 2024-25. Seems to me, though, that it usually ends up sooner, perhaps the 3rd year if the school has hit all the marks on the NCAA's protocols for making the switch.

The University of St. Thomas announced Friday that the school has been invited to join the Division I Summit League, pending NCAA approval of the school’s wavier claim.

The NCAA requires a waiver to go directly from Division III to Division I without a stop at Division II. If the waiver is approved, the school will join the Summit League in 2021. The Tommies would then have two more years in the MIAC, which voted St. Thomas out of the conference earlier this year.

“Joining the Summit League would be a unique and exciting opportunity for St. Thomas, allowing us to significantly expand our impact and reach,” St. Thomas president Julie Sullivan said in the announcement. “It is a strong Midwest Division I conference that includes both public and private competitors."

Under the direction of Commissioner Tom Douple, the conference has grown in strength and success over the past several years. “If the NCAA ultimately grants the waiver request, St. Thomas will begin competing in the Summit League in fall 2021, after two full final years in the MIAC.”

http://www.startribune.com/st-thomas...gue/562174952/

Blog Entries

Default Football likely Pioneer League

I've seen reports move to Summit League is all sports except football (Summit doesn't have FB). Sounds like the Pioneer League for football:

Butler
    Davidson
    Dayton
    Drake
    Jacksonville
    Marist
    Morehead State
    San Diego
    Stetson
    Valpo

Tommies certainly should be able to compete favorably in that league.

Quote Originally Posted by SelectionSunday View Post
    I've seen reports move to Summit League is all sports except football (Summit doesn't have FB). Sounds like the Pioneer League for football:

Butler
    Davidson
    Dayton
    Drake
    Jacksonville
    Marist
    Morehead State
    San Diego
    Stetson
    Valpo

Tommies certainly should be able to compete favorably in that league.
    Wow. That is an extremely wide travel area for them for football. North Carolina, Florida, New York, Kentucky and California. They're going to be spending some $$$ on football travel. Would also guess they will need to expand their seating capacity for football. I believe it's listed as 5,000 now, but I'm nearly positive there is an NCAA capacity minimum of at least 10,000 for FCS

Check that, looks like the seating minimum is only for FBS football. My bad.

This definitely lends some legitimacy to the idea that the whole “thrown out of the MIAC” thing may have been a little more orchestrated than we thought...

Not necessarily saying I think the whole thing was planned, but I remember a couple people on here bringing that up and I thought they were nuts. Maybe not

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle22 View Post
    This definitely lends some legitimacy to the idea that the whole “thrown out of the MIAC” thing may have been a little more orchestrated than we thought...

Not necessarily saying I think the whole thing was planned, but I remember a couple people on here bringing that up and I thought they were nuts. Maybe not
    I would say it is certainly possible that they had this in mind but on a much longer timetable.
    When the rumors of getting kicked out circulated. No doubt in my mind when they said they wanted to stay they were telling the truth in the short term. They’re probably okay with it long term.

November 5, 2021 (a Friday)

St. Thomas @ Minnesota

As part of a DH featuring the WBB & MBB teams welcoming the Tommie to D-I

Book it
    Last edited by Ski U Mah Gopher; 10-04-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    Follow me on twitter: @skiumahgopher

Where will they play?

I'm in the minority. I don't like it. Splits the D-1 fan base in Minnesota. I guess it will generate a lot of interest for one game a year locally, but it might be a high risk game that could lower their NET score.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski U Mah Gopher View Post
    November 5, 2021 (a Friday)

St. Thomas @ Minnesota

Book it
    I wonder what year it will be when the St. Thomas fans start complaining that their coach is not signing enough MN kids? 2023?