Illiinois is a huge game for the defense!

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
In the media prediction thread for this game I see a lot of people expecting this to be a close game. I think most of that is due to what happened last year against Illinois and a general feeling that our defense is still the dumpster fire it was last season for much of the year.

The defense has not been great this year but I also don't think it has been as bad as some have tried to make it out to be. This year's group seems pretty solidly in the middle of the pack as far as defenses in the BIG go. That combined with a really good offense should be enough to keep us in most games.

Coming out and really shutting down a mediocre/bad Illinois team would be a nice statement from the defense. Put together 4 strong quarters and not give up the late scores the way we did against Purdue which allowed them to make the game look a whole lot closer then it actually was.

If its raining will Morgan will able to pass efficiently? Will our O-line play well enough to get the running game going. Illinois supposedly has an atrocious pass defense, I would prefer to torch them through the air.

Hopefully the defense has a great game. A Winfield interception and improved linebacker play would be welcome. Our special teams need to be steady.

On paper we win this game but we all know too well that Gopher football abides by Murphy's Law. I remain cautiously optimistic.

If its raining will Morgan will able to pass efficiently? Will our O-line play well enough to get the running game going. Illinois supposedly has an atrocious pass defense, I would prefer to torch them through the air.

Hopefully the defense has a great game. A Winfield interception and improved linebacker play would be welcome. Our special teams need to be steady.

On paper we win this game but we all know too well that Gopher football abides by Murphy's Law. I remain cautiously optimistic.
It rained during the Indiana game last year and Morgan threw just fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

In the media prediction thread for this game I see a lot of people expecting this to be a close game. I think most of that is due to what happened last year against Illinois and a general feeling that our defense is still the dumpster fire it was last season for much of the year.

The defense has not been great this year but I also don't think it has been as bad as some have tried to make it out to be. This year's group seems pretty solidly in the middle of the pack as far as defenses in the BIG go. That combined with a really good offense should be enough to keep us in most games.

Coming out and really shutting down a mediocre/bad Illinois team would be a nice statement from the defense. Put together 4 strong quarters and not give up the late scores the way we did against Purdue which allowed them to make the game look a whole lot closer then it actually was.

I was thinking the same thing regarding the perception of our defense. I think it's a bit more solid than it has appeared. Of course, if that's true, then it needs to step up and hammer a weak opponent every now and then, and this Saturday provides a good opportunity to do so.

JTG

A little bit of rain usually isn't that big of a deal. It's going to be windy though so that could be an issue throwing down field.

A little bit of rain usually isn't that big of a deal. It's going to be windy though so that could be an issue throwing down field.

Fortunately the best passing play we have and the one we seem to have perfected is the slant which would be much less susceptible to wind.

Corbin is very, very good and will be a handful. Plus their QB runs well which always poses a problem. Illini averages about 36ppg.

The D will have to up its game and we know all about our running game thus far. I hope we see both and take care of the ball which could be the difference in this game.

Corbin is very, very good and will be a handful. Plus their QB runs well which always poses a problem. Illini averages about 36ppg.

The D will have to up its game and we know all about our running game thus far. I hope we see both and take care of the ball which could be the difference in this game.

Corbin is really good and their offensive line is pretty good as well. I do not think this years QB is a threat to run though.

Against Purdue the defense gave up a ton of third and longs.

Coming out and really shutting down a mediocre/bad Illinois team would be a nice statement from the defense.

My reaction to the three sentences of the first paragraph:

1) Yes, our defense isn't terrible but it's certainly been wobbly (except for the GA Southern game) and, so far, not a defense that inspires a lot of confidence. At least our defense hasn't faltered as much as our special teams (except for Herbers).

2) That's probably about right (lower middle of conference) but the 198 yards allowed against GA Southern is a bit of an outlier when measured against what was allowed to the other three teams.

3) Our passing offense has been a marvel and has compensated for the team's other shortcomings but I don't know how long we can expect Tanner & Company to keep performing at this level. We have yet to experience a truly good rushing game.

In short, this is clearly not the Gopher team we've grown accustomed to over the last seven years or so. We have a wobbly defense, an anemic rushing attack, and almost non-existent field goal kicking. But, the passing game has performed beyond our wildest expectations. So far, this has been a team who wins by scoring a lot.

I don't have the confidence to predict that we will "shut down" Illinois. At this point, I'd be very pleasantly surprised if they scored less than 20 and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they got into the 30s. The potential for them to have a good rushing game is there and their QB isn't as bad as he showed against Nebraska. However, I do believe we will win because, once again, we can and should outscore them. Perhaps this could be the first game where we clear 40. I guess that just depends upon whether or not we have some breathing room in the 4th quarter score.

MY DEFENSIVE FEAR

My reaction to the three sentences of the first paragraph:

1) Yes, our defense isn't terrible but it's certainly been wobbly (except for the GA Southern game) and, so far, not a defense that inspires a lot of confidence. At least our defense hasn't faltered as much as our special teams (except for Herbers).

2) That's probably about right (lower middle of conference) but the 198 yards allowed against GA Southern is a bit of an outlier when measured against what was allowed to the other three teams.

3) Our passing offense has been a marvel and has compensated for the team's other shortcomings but I don't know how long we can expect Tanner & Company to keep performing at this level. We have yet to experience a truly good rushing game.

In short, this is clearly not the Gopher team we've grown accustomed to over the last seven years or so. We have a wobbly defense, an anemic rushing attack, and almost non-existent field goal kicking. But, the passing game has performed beyond our wildest expectations. So far, this has been a team who wins by scoring a lot.

I don't have the confidence to predict that we will "shut down" Illinois. At this point, I'd be very pleasantly surprised if they scored less than 20 and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they got into the 30s. The potential for them to have a good rushing game is there and their QB isn't as bad as he showed against Nebraska. However, I do believe we will win because, once again, we can and should outscore them. Perhaps this could be the first game where we clear 40. I guess that just depends upon whether or not we have some breathing room in the 4th quarter score.

Thomas Barber and Kamal Martin are my defensive concerns. They shouldn't be- they are Seniors, and should be leading the charge. But on run fits, I see Martin drifting to the wrong gap, and Barber is in the right gap but picks a side when getting blocked. It leaves a huge hole for the running backs, who to this point haven't been home run hitters. Reggie Corbin is a home run hitter! Illinois, Nebraska and Maryland all have home run hitters in abundance, and if we don't get this cleaned up, October will be an ugly month. (and December is our most difficult month!)

I can't say this with conviction, but I suspect part* of the reason the passing game has been so successful is that defenses are loading up against the run.

If that's true, sooner or later defenses are going to have to recalibrate to stop the pass.

And that's going to be a very fun Saturday.

* - The other parts are a damn good quarterback and a brace of highly talented receivers.

JTG

As the season progresses, the offensive line will keep improving and eventually run blocking will improve to the point that the run poses real legitimate homerun threats in addition to the vaunted passing game.

I look for pleasant surprises in the second half of the schedule.

Thomas Barber and Kamal Martin are my defensive concerns. They shouldn't be- they are Seniors, and should be leading the charge. But on run fits, I see Martin drifting to the wrong gap, and Barber is in the right gap but picks a side when getting blocked. It leaves a huge hole for the running backs, who to this point haven't been home run hitters. Reggie Corbin is a home run hitter! Illinois, Nebraska and Maryland all have home run hitters in abundance, and if we don't get this cleaned up, October will be an ugly month. (and December is our most difficult month!)

You can make a case that Martin been our best defensive player this year when he has played.

And, the coaches didn't see this?

I probably am wrong, but I think that Rossi is playing too may bodies, and needs to start sticking with the performers that do not miss tackles and are physical, injuries aside.

There is also a lot of movement on and off the field that is leading to confusion and penalties. I'd pick a few and stick with them a little more.

Also, maybe Cashman was a flat out difference maker, but it seems like the defense is a lot more passive this year with a bend but don't break or make mistakes, contain approach. I expected with vets like K. Martin, Barber, Caughlin , and Winfield we would see a little more of an attacking style.

The defense has not been great and maybe they are due for a big stop forward, becuase the defense we saw vs. GA. Teach and Wisconsin in long gone.

In fact, if i did now better, I suggest that our old, fired Arkansas DC was calling hte plays again.

Last edited:

I probably am wrong, but I think that Rossi is playing too may bodies, and needs to start sticking with the performers that do not miss tackles and are physical, injuries aside.

There is also a lot of movement on and off the field that is leading to confusion and penalties. I'd pick a few and stick with them a little more.

Also, maybe Cashman was a flat out difference maker, but it seems like the defense is a lot more passive this year with a bend but don't break or make mistakes, contain approach. I expected with vets like K. Martin, Barber, Caughlin , and Winfield we would see a little more of an attacking style.

The defense has not been great and maybe they are due for a big stop forward, becuase the defense we saw vs. GA. Teach and Wisconsin in long gone.

In fact, if i did now better, I suggest that our old, fired Arkansas DC was calling hte plays again.

Could not disagree with that final statement more. The defense last year under Smith was getting destroyed by big play after big play. There is plenty of room for improvement in this year's defense but they are not giving up the home run ball the way last year's group was prior to the coaching change.

Could not disagree with that final statement more. The defense last year under Smith was getting destroyed by big play after big play. There is plenty of room for improvement in this year's defense but they are not giving up the home run ball the way last year's group was prior to the coaching change.

I probably overstated it with my last point, but please explain why the Defense has slumped since last year, other than losing Cashman? The run D has not been good, and the tackling all over has been bad.

Yes, the defense was much better after Smith went away, but it was way better under post firing Rossie= than the first four weeks this year. They are not pressuring the QB and are missing tackles all over.

They made the much maligned Purdue back up QB look like Joe Montana, M Vick or Steve Smith last week. He evaded tacklers left and right, and turned a blow out into a nail-biter.

Last edited:

I probably overstated it with my last point, but please explain why the Defense has slumped since last year, other than losing Cashman? The run D has not been good, and the tackling all over has been bad.

Yes, the defense was much better after Smith went away, but it was way better under post firing Rossie= than the first four weeks this year. They are not pressuring the QB and are missing tackles all over.

They made the much maligned Purdue back up QB look like Joe Montana, M Vick or Steve Smith last week. He evaded tacklers left and right, and turned a blow out into a nail-biter.

I think we watched very different Purdue games. In the one I watched we took a 21 point lead into the 4th quarter on the road. It was disappointing that we were not able to get a stop on Purdue's last two possessions but they had to use 23 plays and 8:00 of game clock to get their two TDs and if Green is able to handle the onside kick we probably cruise to a 14+ point victory. Yes they closed the gap to 7 points but to me it never felt like the game was in doubt.

The missed tackles are concerning but the upshot is that guys were in position to make plays they just didn't get it done. And I am sure many won't agree with this but I actually think Moore getting hurt had a negative impact on our defense in terms of what they had prepared for. I would bet the defense spent a ton of time preparing for how to adjust to where Moore was lined up knowing he would be the focal point of the offense. When he went out, that all went out the window with him and now they were dealing with a backup QB who they had limited film on and an offense without a clear go to guy.

As I have said multiple times in this thread and others, the defense has plenty of room for improvement I just don't think they have been quite as bad as some fans have made them out to be. I do think losing Cashman was a big loss and Coughlin not being 100% hasn't helped things either. Hopefully as the season goes on we will see a more consistent pass rush develop and when guys are in position to make a tackle they will make the play.

The good news is that with our offense we shouldn't need the defense to pitch a shutout for us to have a chance in most games.

Given that Cashman didn’t play against Georgia Tech or the 2nd half vs Wisconsin, that’s probably not the answer.

I have been underwhelmed with our d-line this year. It still seems like Otomewo and Mafe are the biggest difference makers when they play, but they aren’t getting enough reps.

Given that Cashman didn’t play against Georgia Tech or the 2nd half vs Wisconsin, that’s probably not the answer.

I have been underwhelmed with our d-line this year. It still seems like Otomewo and Mafe are the biggest difference makers when they play, but they aren’t getting enough reps.
The Huff boys did though.... I think they are missed more than anyone knows....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I would say Williamson, Durr, Winfield and Terrell Smith have missed the most tackles this year. 3 are starters and 1 was a starter last year. So I wouldn't say playing less guys would fix that.

And Cashman only played 1 quarter against Wisconsin and didn't play at all against Georgia tech.

The biggest difference from this years defense to the Robb Smith D is that we haven't been giving up the big play, especially the rushing play. We have made opponents sustain longer, more methodical drives when they have scored.

I would say Williamson, Durr, Winfield and Terrell Smith have missed the most tackles this year. 3 are starters and 1 was a starter last year. So I wouldn't say playing less guys would fix that.

And Cashman only played 1 quarter against Wisconsin and didn't play at all against Georgia tech.

The biggest difference from this years defense to the Robb Smith D is that we haven't been giving up the big play, especially the rushing play. We have made opponents sustain longer, more methodical drives when they have scored.

It’s a bend and slowly break defense.

Linebacker, tackle, edges, tackling. Other than that we’re good.

You might be right that they are playing more bodies this year, especially at LB, but I would think they need to be. They are in this for the long haul and with so many LB's leaving the program this offseason, they can't go into next year with guys like Oliver, Sori-Marin, Rush all not having played many snaps. Also, Martin has missed some time which kind of forced them to play some more younger bodies at LB.

I"m okay with how they've managed playing time so far. They've got an eye towards the future and it hasn't hurt them just yet.

I see we forgot to practice tackling again this week... takes a DT to take down a RB

Anyone still think this is the same defense as last year before the Smith firing? Great showing all the way around. Illinois is a bad team but it is still impressive to hold any big ten team to just 3 points (yes I know they scored 17, but 14 of those are on the offense).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom