Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is there any chance this is a trap game?

I think we are all expecting a comfortable Gophers victory, and that scares me a bit. I am just wondering if given the weather we may have to rely on our run game...which to date has not been a strong suit. As a Minnesota sports fan, I am always fearing that my expected hopes will be met with disappointment. Just hoping it isn't this weekend!

IMO:

The Gopher's don't have trap games. Great teams have trap games.

There's no reason / reasonable POV to not take every game seriously. If we were Ohio St.... I could see it being "more" understandable that someone would do that.

If we take Illinois lightly we're just dumb.

With the possible exception of Rutgers (and even then, see 2016), every single Big Ten game is a non-zero chance of losing.

They all have at least as much money as we do. They all, with the exception of Nebraska, have at least as good (usually better) access to the Great Lakes recruiting areas, not to mention they all recruit nationally as well. They all have good players and at least some great players in positions, they all have high-paid coaching staffs, all have great facilities (or are in the process of upgrading them).
    Last edited by MnplsGopher; 10-03-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Agree that we don't have trap games at this point because if we are taking any team lightly then something is wrong. We have won 4 games by a combined 20 points, we can't look past anybody right now.

We should beat Illinois, but we should have beaten them last year as well. I am sure the coaches will remind the players of that fact numerous times this week.

I hate the term "trap game." It seems to be a euphemism for "I am afraid our team and coaching staff will do an inadequate job getting prepared or motivated for a game we should win." "Trap" makes it sound like some exogenous factor that the gophers have no control of could happen to them.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsmaroonandgold View Post
    I hate the term "trap game." It seems to be a euphemism for "I am afraid our team and coaching staff will do an inadequate job getting prepared or motivated for a game we should win." "Trap" makes it sound like some exogenous factor that the gophers have no control of could happen to them.
    ex·og·e·nous

/ˌekˈsäjənəs/
    adjective
    adjective: exogenous

• relating to or developing from external factors.

This is clearly a game Minnesota should win. If the Gophers lose this game, it will be an indication that the team is not yet ready to achieve their goal.

The teams that win championships will take care of business against lesser teams most of the time. You don't have to crush them, but you have to win. If you can't do that, then you're probably not ready to be a champion.
    Last edited by RememberMurray; 10-03-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

You guys are playing like this is some throw away game up in Rochester.

I don't think this team will be taking lightly after the first four games. I also don't think a little rain generally has such drastic impact on the passing game that much. If it impacts anyone's passing game, it probably would impact Illinois more. Their passing offense already isn't very good, ranked at #104. Illinois' passing yards given up per game is #102 with them giving up 261 yards per game. I think the Gophers will attack them through the air until the running game opens up.

Trap game? Huh?

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

I don't know how they could look at the result last year and have this be a trap. They could still lose - but trap implies they were looking ahead to Nebby or completely underestimated Illinois, and I do not believe that will happen.

Found this definition for "Trap game":

A trap game is a game played against an opponent generally deemed to be easy to defeat. As a result a person or team may not prepare as thoroughly as they would for a formidable opponent. Often this attitude and its attendant lack of preparation lead to a loss.

In another version, it defined a "Trap Game" as a team that overlooks an easier opponent because they are facing a better opponent or a rival the following week.

So, I have to answer Yes. This could be a trap game for the Gophers.

As other have said, it should not be a trap game IF the Gophers are prepared and ready to play. But, if anyone thinks Illinois is a cake-walk, or they're looking ahead to Nebraska, then it could be a trap game. That is entirely up to the players and coaches.

Blog Entries

This opponent not only upset them last year but embarrassed them. It is homecoming. The four wins to date against supposed lesser opponents have all been close. There basically is no reason to fall asleep on this opponent. If the Gophers take Illinois lightly, they are poorly coached.

If the Gophers lose, it won't be because this game was a trap. It will be because South Dakota State and Georgia Southern were signs this team just isn't that good yet.

The first four games all went down to the wire, so this one could, too. Last year Illinois pasted over 50 on us, and they have a lot of talent, so I'm not confident of a victory. Also, it looks like rain, which could mess up both sides. Another nail-biter is a possibility. Illinois is a big play team, and so are we. Would love to see the Gophers finally put one away.