Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lunardi currently has Gophers as part of Next Four out group

Gophers have some good name brand company in Lunardi's latest NCAA 68 team prediction.

Syracuse and UCLA join us and Alabama(?) as the 5-8 teams out of the dance.

I'm pretty encouraged he sees that much out of such a young squad with 7 new players in the mix!

Let's hope he is on to something and not on something!

Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    Gophers have some good name brand company in Lunardi's latest NCAA 68 team prediction.

Syracuse and UCLA join us and Alabama(?) as the 5-8 teams out of the dance.

I'm pretty encouraged he sees that much out of such a young squad with 7 new players in the mix!

Let's hope he is on to something and not on something!

Go Gophers!
    He is obviously a greater basketball mind than Selection Sunday who had us much farther down the list..... lol

I have the Gophers much higher than that. I like this roster a great deal and with the coaching staff together longer, i see a 7 seed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    He is obviously a greater basketball mind than Selection Sunday who had us much farther down the list..... lol
    My latest projection had Gophers in roughly the same ballpark. Lunardi has Gophers in the #73-76 range (next 4 out), I have them in the #73-80 range (next 8 out).

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    I have the Gophers much higher than that. I like this roster a great deal and with the coaching staff together longer, i see a 7 seed.
    I think that's a pretty fair read on our seeding. I think our offense will be significantly more open than in previous years as we've added better shooting. I think defensively we will playing a lot more pack line and will be improved with the staff longevity and additional depth. Defensive rebounding is a huge question mark for me with Murph gone, but think Oturo and Thomas can fill in a lot of the void.

I’m excited about the expected improved shooting on this team, and hope that leads to more consistency on offense. I’m just not sure who (if anyone) will be that go-to guy during crunch time. We had two of those guys last year (Coffey and Murphy), and that was a luxury. Who on this roster can consistently create their own shot (and score at a high rate)? I hope I’m pleasantly surprised by the answer to this question. Will we have multiple guys who can do this? Carr, Willis, Oturu? Any of the freshmen? Can Gabe create off the dribble? Should be fun to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by manderson1984 View Post
    I think that's a pretty fair read on our seeding. I think our offense will be significantly more open than in previous years as we've added better shooting. I think defensively we will playing a lot more pack line and will be improved with the staff longevity and additional depth. Defensive rebounding is a huge question mark for me with Murph gone, but think Oturo and Thomas can fill in a lot of the void.
    Agree. If these guys are a top 20 defense then they are no worse than a 7 seed.

Missing the tourney would be pretty disappointing. We need to start stringing some good seasons together at some point. I think we are in.

I'll have a double of what you are having. I just don't see how this roster accomplishes a 7 seed.
    Aloha Mr. Hand

Put me into the group that's optimistic about this team. I think Carr is going to be a beast, and all the reports we've heard about Willis have been great. If (and that's a big if) Curry can stay healthy and contribute, I absolutely see this as an NCAA tournament team. Without Curry, I still think they are a bubble team at worst.

Shouldnt be that hard to make it every year given there is 68 teams. That bubble is always huge

Ughhh. Lunardi. Always trying to make the Gophers out to be the bad boys.....the outsiders of the college basketball world. Someone needs to dunk on his face.

I don't see how this team will be better than last years after losing two All Big Ten players. I wouldn't expect Oturu to be as good as Murphy or Gabe or Marcus to be as good as Coffey next year.

I think Demir will be a huge defensive liability and on the glass. I'm still very glad we have him because I think he is better than Curry or Omersa but IMO he is a below average Big Ten starter. That would have been completely fine with me if we still had Coffey, a first team All Big Ten guy and Demir as our 5th best starter. But now we will likely have another below average Big Ten starter on the wing in either Willis, Williams or Ihnen.

I think this team will definitely compete for a tourney bid and be in the conversation for much of the year but ultimately I don't see them getting a bid. While Oturu, Gabe or Carr will all be quality starters, I don't see any of them becoming absolute studs yet and IMO we will have two below average starters as SF and PF in Demir/Curry and Willis/Williams/Ihnen.

Quote Originally Posted by die hard gopher View Post
    I don't see how this team will be better than last years after losing two All Big Ten players. I wouldn't expect Oturu to be as good as Murphy or Gabe or Marcus to be as good as Coffey next year.

I think Demir will be a huge defensive liability and on the glass. I'm still very glad we have him because I think he is better than Curry or Omersa but IMO he is a below average Big Ten starter. That would have been completely fine with me if we still had Coffey, a first team All Big Ten guy and Demir as our 5th best starter. But now we will likely have another below average Big Ten starter on the wing in either Willis, Williams or Ihnen.

I think this team will definitely compete for a tourney bid and be in the conversation for much of the year but ultimately I don't see them getting a bid. While Oturu, Gabe or Carr will all be quality starters, I don't see any of them becoming absolute studs yet and IMO we will have two below average starters as SF and PF in Demir/Curry and Willis/Williams/Ihnen.
    Agree that us being better than last year is unlikely, but I think some people might be underrating the addition of an actual point guard. Even if Carr isn't quite as talented as Coffey, I think it's possible the offense will function better with him. Murphy is an enormous loss, but we will also have better spacing without him. Not saying that we are better off without Murphy, but having better spacing and more shooters could help offset the loss of talent to some degree. I also expect Oturu to make a jump and be better than simply a "quality starter". I am confident that he will be on one of the all-conference teams. I have no idea what to expect from Willis, Williams, or Ihnen so projecting how good this team will be is extremely difficult.

Payton Willis will not be below average, he could be the best all around starter this year on offense and defense for the Gophers. He has worked extremely hard on his game while having to sit out like carr, and will provide a good presence in terms of experience and leadership. I don't understand why no one (basically) is giving him really any pre-season love. Demir will be our "worst" starter, due to athleticism only. He is a smart player and will contribute.
    Last edited by GopherBlood666; 10-04-2019 at 01:47 PM.