2019 GopherHole Survey Summary

DL65

Reaction score
Here is a summary of the recent GopherHole Survey as well as some comparisons of previous surveys.

There were 45 respondents who participated in this year's survey. I was hoping for 100 respondents.

Respondents in previous surveys:

2007 229
2008 179
2009 171
2010 174
2011 179
2012 108

Age: This year’s respondents average age is 48.77 years. The average age in the previous surveys was 37 years.

Male 45
Female 0

Minnesota Native:

Yes 36
No 9

Current residence/locale:

MN –27
CA – 2
CO – 1
FL - 1 GA – 1
IA - 2
NB – 1
NV – 1
NH – 1
SD – 1
TX – 2
WA – 1
Other: England 1 and Thailand -1 (Two respondents left the question blank.)

Gopher fan # of years {average):

Average years of previous surveys – 27.30

Season ticket holder:

Yes - 13
No – 30

Attend at least one game per season:

Yes – 30
No – 15

Post-Secondary Degrees

BA – 41
Masters – 18
Doctorate – 6
AA – 1
None – 3

Favorite poster(s):

Daniel House – 20
SON – 19
BleedGopher – 16
GopherLady – 11
Spoofin - 10
Other – There were several posters who received a vote or two.

What do you like about GopherHole?

There was a plethora of responses. The most common were:

Recruiting news.
Debate and discussion about Gopher sports.
Humor
Entertaining
“Gopher history tid bits.”
“Die Hard Gopher fans.”
Post-game threads.
Diverse opinions
knowledgeable fans and posters
It’s free
Interaction with others
Articles

What would you change or add to GopherHole?

A more mobile friendly website
Removal of posts that hijack threads (frequently mentioned).
Removal of trolls
“Spell out rules and regs for why people are banned and how they can be re-instated.”
Ability to “like” posts.
“More monitoring of recruiting threads that always seem to get derailed.”
Less name-calling, sniping
Website needs a new look
Shut down posters who only attack
“Lots of arguments get rehashed verbatim, multiple threads.”

Go Gophers!!

Last edited:

Well, my way is clear. I have to get rid of House so I can win the poll next year......Hmmm, how to accomplish the deed......?

First, thanks DL.... but, hell, 9 is way more than “a vote or two”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, thanks DL.... but, hell, 9 is way more than “a vote or two”.

I could see P.J. claiming you only got a vote or two.

Here is a summary of the recent GopherHole Survey as well as some comparisons of previous surveys.

There were 45 respondents who participated in this year's survey. I was hoping for 100 respondents.

Respondents in previous surveys:

2007 229
2008 179
2009 171
2010 174
2011 179
2012 108

So ... as a relative newcomer here, I gotta ask: What can be inferred from those response numbers? Is readership sliding down a steep slope? Or do people just not GAF about responding to surveys?

JTG

Thank you for doing this. I apologize for not responding sooner :(

I didn't participate in the survey. Reason being is that I felt that most people weren't being honest with their answers and I have no proof of that. Base on comments in thread etc., I made my assumption that people wouldn't give a straight answer about more personal stats. I agree with some of the suggested changes however. They were clearly legitimate.

I re-checked the survey, focusing on the favorite posters question. You're correct, Spoofin, on the numbers that listed you and I came up with 10, including one after I had compiled the survey results. So I've added your name to the top listed posters. I regret the oversight!

Go Gophers!!

Last edited:

I didn't participate in the survey. Reason being is that I felt that most people weren't being honest with their answers and I have no proof of that.

What types of answers did you think people were being misleading.

I re-checked the survey, focusing on the favorite posters question. You're correct, Spoofin, on the numbers that listed you and I came up with 10, including one after I had compiled the survey results. So I've added your name to the top listed posters. I regret the oversight!

Go Gophers!!

Classy. That's what you always get from DL65. Always. My all time favorite poster. Sure like to see more from you!

I'm guessing Spoofin feels much better now.

I wonder if you had a more private way to submit to the survey other than a public post on a public forum if you would have gotten more participants.

Go Gophers!!

LOL. I only posted that to dig at a certain poster on here that felt the need to start his own thread unhappy I got any votes. With that said, I appreciate the extra effort DL. Hope all is well.

In terms of the sample size as represented by the number of respondents, as a tech troglodyte I wonder if answering on hand-held devices is an impediment to responding?

Apologies in advance to those whose thumbs and index fingers are very nimble across a small keypad...with the eyesight to match that too.

Given the basic devolution of language as a function of social media communications, having multiple questions where some involve more than a tweets-worth answer is what comes to mind.

I do recall in an earlier day where this poll was like a dozen pages or more...if memory serves me correct.

Also, should have listed Bleed as a favorite. He is such a constant that one would think that he was a paid employee of the site.

Longtime member, almost daily reader, but very infrequent poster. And, I somehow missed the survey. Given the low number of responses, would it be possible to reopen it? The time span between surveys may be one reason for a low response. In any event, your work on this is appreciated. Thank you.

So ... as a relative newcomer here, I gotta ask: What can be inferred from those response numbers? Is readership sliding down a steep slope? Or do people just not GAF about responding to surveys?

JTG

The young 'uns and millennials in today's social media liking their internet anonymity a little too much? A little frightened to divulge even a few insignificant facts about themselves? Not many young posters responded. Who knows why...

Top Bottom