the joker

KD6-3.7

credulous skeptic
Reaction score
the character is supposed to be some kind of incel hero.

director todd phillips stopped making comedy films because of “woke culture”

i’m rooting for the film because of the people it will anger if it does well. and i agree that woke/cancel culture is a plague. and the only comic book movies i have ever really liked are the batman movies.

I'm excited for this movie too.

Why do you care if it will anger some people? Why do so many people need to politicize entertainment. Can't it just be entertainment? Watch it, enjoy it, go about your day.

I'm excited for this movie too.

Why do you care if it will anger some people? Why do so many people need to politicize entertainment. Can't it just be entertainment? Watch it, enjoy it, go about your day.

why do you care what i take pleasure in? it is absolutely entertainment, both the movie and the people who who get angered by it.

besides, where did i mention politics. this is cultural (bordering on religious), not political. woke culture is modern day puritanism, plain and simple. the only difference is that today, most creators are complicit in or afraid of, woke culture and so they don't intentionally lambast it. which is what would have happened in the past.

Most would say he stopped in 2010.....Hangover 2 (2011), Project X (2012), Hangover 3 (2013)

If you told me that no one directed any of the above...I'd believe you.

Most would say he stopped in 2010.....Hangover 2 (2011), Project X (2012), Hangover 3 (2013)

right. and i don't even think the hangover is even all that edgy. maybe it was then.

why do you care what i take pleasure in? it is absolutely entertainment, both the movie and the people who who get angered by it.

besides, where did i mention politics. this is cultural (bordering on religious), not political. woke culture is modern day puritanism, plain and simple. the only difference is that today, most creators are complicit in or afraid of, woke culture and so they don't intentionally lambast it. which is what would have happened in the past.

You are absolutely trying to politicize it. It must really suck going through life always worrying like this instead of just enjoying life.

This movie is supposed to anger people if it does well?

Well those people better be per-angered....because it is going to kill at the box office.

You are absolutely trying to politicize it. It must really suck going through life always worrying like this instead of just enjoying life.

giphy.gif

I read a review today on Comic Book Resources - one of the big online sites that deals with Comic books, movies and TV shows.

The review said, in short, that Phoenix does a good job playing the title character, but the rest of the movie falls flat. It said there are no redeeming characters and no one for the audience to root for.

Also to be noted - there is no Batman in this movie. it is set in Gotham city, and they reference Thomas Wayne (Batman's dad), but no Batman.

It's like making a Lex Luthor movie where they never mention Superman. Or a Venom movie where they don't mention Spider-Man..........oops, Sony tried that, and the reviews were terrible.

So, from what I've read, this is basically an art-house movie about a mentally-disturbed loner who will eventually become a super-villain.

I would guess that it will do decently at the box-office opening weekend, and then it will drop off big-time after that.

This movie is supposed to anger people if it does well?

Well those people better be per-angered....because it is going to kill at the box office.

Kind of sounds like he's just the angry one.

You gotta vote with your wallet. Those are the new rules.

Must suck to live life always worrying about that instead of just enjoying the enjoyable things.

Who's worrying? I'm with BTC, I enjoy supporting those that share my perspective, or at least oppose the perspective that I hate. I like the content. I want more of it. So I vote with my wallet. I want my opponents to pay a cost for their ideology.

Space Cowboy is the better song, even if it is really Lady Madonna played up tempo.

Who's worrying? I'm with BTC, I enjoy supporting those that share my perspective, or at least oppose the perspective that I hate. I like the content. I want more of it. So I vote with my wallet. I want my opponents to pay a cost for their ideology.

Or if its a good movie and good entertainment you could just watch it and enjoy without constantly worrying about the political ramifications. Your life must really suck.

the character is supposed to be some kind of incel hero.

director todd phillips stopped making comedy films because of “woke culture”

i’m rooting for the film because of the people it will anger if it does well. and i agree that woke/cancel culture is a plague. and the only comic book movies i have ever really liked are the batman movies.

I must not be woke cause I have no idea what you're talking about. What is an incel hero? What is cancel culture, and why is it a plague? Why will people be mad if the movie's successful?

I should probably see the movie before commenting, though I am looking forward to it. Not into super hero movies but like Joaquin Phoenix & Heath Ledger's Joker. From what I've read, he is not portrayed as a hero or anti-hero or even sympathetic/tragic. More of a character study in how he descends into madness. I'm guessing it's something like Psycho or Taxi Driver. I've heard people liken the character to a mass shooter, so I guess in that sense it could be politicized.

Or if its a good movie and good entertainment you could just watch it and enjoy without constantly worrying about the political ramifications. Your life must really suck.

It's not "worrying". It's right in my face. This director/producer are pushing a political message wrapped in this movie. I'm not worried about it. I'm acknowledging it. To some extent, this is in every single thing Hollywood produces. Sometimes subtle, sometimes over the top. Game of Thrones having George W's head on a spike is one example. I still watched and enjoyed until the last season was a disaster.

It sucks that everything is politicized for sure. Life was definitely better when it was not, and I'm not alone in feeling that way. I want it to change. Are you just unaware or aware and like it?

It's not "worrying". It's right in my face. This director/producer are pushing a political message wrapped in this movie. I'm not worried about it. I'm acknowledging it. To some extent, this is in every single thing Hollywood produces. Sometimes subtle, sometimes over the top. Game of Thrones having George W's head on a spike is one example. I still watched and enjoyed until the last season was a disaster.

It sucks that everything is politicized for sure. Life was definitely better when it was not, and I'm not alone in feeling that way. I want it to change. Are you just unaware or aware and like it?

I'm aware, I just don't care and don't let it bother me because I don't want my life to suck like yours. I can enjoy quality entertainment without caring about whether it's message leans right or left. Who cares about that? The fact that you do is really sad. What a sh!tty way to go through life.
But keep voting with your wallet, you are really hurting hollywood!

I'm aware, I just don't care and don't let it bother me because I don't want my life to suck like yours. I can enjoy quality entertainment without caring about whether it's message leans right or left. Who cares about that? The fact that you do is really sad. What a sh!tty way to go through life.
But keep voting with your wallet, you are really hurting hollywood!

if the left wins, your life will suck, and your kids life will suck. You can turn off your brain if you want, I'll keep mine on. You're welcome.

if the left wins, your life will suck, and your kids life will suck. You can turn off your brain if you want, I'll keep mine on. You're welcome.

That's just plain false and you know it.

I must not be woke cause I have no idea what you're talking about. What is an incel hero? What is cancel culture, and why is it a plague? Why will people be mad if the movie's successful?

I should probably see the movie before commenting, though I am looking forward to it. Not into super hero movies but like Joaquin Phoenix & Heath Ledger's Joker. From what I've read, he is not portrayed as a hero or anti-hero or even sympathetic/tragic. More of a character study in how he descends into madness. I'm guessing it's something like Psycho or Taxi Driver. I've heard people liken the character to a mass shooter, so I guess in that sense it could be politicized.

Incel is a term that stands for involuntary celibates. It's basically people who aren't having any sex because no one wants to have sex with them. the stereotype incel is a guy who can't get laid, and he blames women - not himself.

Cancel culture is the idea that, if someone does something wrong, like an Al Franken, they must lose their job and not be allowed any chance for redemption. example would be Rosanne Barr - when her allegedly racist comments emerged, she got canned from her TV show.

U might as well leave it on. It’s awfully low voltage, and quite dim.

U might as well leave it on. It’s awfully low voltage, and quite dim.

Maybe he just wants to comply with the Green New Deal in advance. It's coming coming you know.

Anybody see the movie yet? I really enjoyed it. It was especially scary to me though since I've worked with psych patients that remind me of him.

I have to admit, I'm a tad bit on S2's side on this one. And honestly, I wonder how many Hollywood products we'll see in the next 12 months that are heavily skewed. Recently, it was

The Long Shot - depicted a dumb white President, crooked, and if I recall correctly even mentioned some Russian innuendo.

Coming soon is "Bombshell" - about the "scandal" (can you really call that a scandal if it wasn't a major news story?) at Fox News with Roger Ailes, apparently regarding sexual harassment.

"The Hunt" - That was going to be a real winner before it got yanked

During Barry's tenure, you get movies like "White House Down", about a black President who defies evil and battles and comes out victorious in the end. Today? You get movies like "The Long Shot" depicting the Prez as a moronic corrupt bastard with ties to Russia. Hmmmm....

At a time when the Trumpster is in the middle of appointing two SCOTUS judges, you get a movie about Ruth Ginsburg and how awesome she was. All totally coincidental, no doubt about it.

At any rate, anyone want to venture an Over/Under on the number of products that Hollywood puts out between now and next November that are heavily skewed, anti-gun, et al?

Top Bottom