the joker

"You get movies like "The Long Shot" depicting the Prez as a moronic corrupt bastard with ties to Russia. Hmmmm...."

Hits close to home, doesn't it!?

So did you see Joker yet?....

I would definitely be open to seeing it, but it's not TOTALLY Mrs. Ogee's type of movie; the other night we opted for "Jexi". It delivered on just about everything I was hoping for. I went in with low expectations, and it was really, really funny. I would recommend it, if you won't have super high expectations. And the popcorn was really good. At the end of the day, usually the movie is just a vehicle for me to get a huge bucket of my own buttered popcorn. Most everything else is secondary

I would definitely be open to seeing it, but it's not TOTALLY Mrs. Ogee's type of movie; the other night we opted for "Jexi". It delivered on just about everything I was hoping for. I went in with low expectations, and it was really, really funny. I would recommend it, if you won't have super high expectations. And the popcorn was really good. At the end of the day, usually the movie is just a vehicle for me to get a huge bucket of my own buttered popcorn. Most everything else is secondary

If you’re talking Hopkins, OK.

Full price for a new movie? Bleh. Can’t do it, unless it’s really good.

Really? Me and my brother were watching the NFL last Sunday and the trailer kept playing during the games. We both agreed that it looked really stupid. So that's good to know that it was funny. I like Adam Devine. The Righteous Gemstones was fantastic.

Really? Me and my brother were watching the NFL last Sunday and the trailer kept playing during the games. We both agreed that it looked really stupid. So that's good to know that it was funny. I like Adam Devine. The Righteous Gemstones was fantastic.

Don't get me wrong, it's not going to win any awards. But like I said, low expectations, and I thought it was pretty funny. My wife would be one that would think less of a movie like that and she probably thought it was funnier than I did. At the end of the day, we hadn't been to a movie in a while and we needed a date night. It delivered, mission accomplished.

Don't get me wrong, it's not going to win any awards. But like I said, low expectations, and I thought it was pretty funny. My wife would be one that would think less of a movie like that and she probably thought it was funnier than I did. At the end of the day, we hadn't been to a movie in a while and we needed a date night. It delivered, mission accomplished.

Might have to check it out. Does it help accomplish the mission when you get home too? :)

Saw Joker last night. I was mesmerized from start to finish. Better than expected. So well done. Tons of great themes with mental illness/class/wealth/violence...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, thanks for the input.

Does not seem to have gotten a lot of love (in terms of the overall movie itself .... I think obviously there has been a lot of praise for his performance in particular) from critics: https://rottentomatoes.com/m/joker_2019/reviews?type=top_critics

Because critics are progressives. They don't like the message and therefore the movie.

68% on rotten tomatoes isn't bad.

And unlike you....it isn't stopping anyone from going to see the movie. And what if it just isn't that great of a movie? Hmmm....must be those hidden messages. Better bring your tinfoil.

68% on rotten tomatoes isn't bad.

And unlike you....it isn't stopping anyone from going to see the movie. And what if it just isn't that great of a movie? Hmmm....must be those hidden messages. Better bring your tinfoil.

I haven't seen it and can't comment, but it's no revelation that critics lean left. Well, maybe to you. I still see lots of movies, Howie's straw man isn't the truth. there's more out there than I could possibly see, so if there's a movie with an overt left bias, i.e. it's the whole point of the movie, thanks but no thanks. They aren't hidden messages either. This isn't Kubrick.

What do you believe is the reactionary message that is being offered in this film?
Deuce thinks that this movie isn't getting all positive reviews because it has a righty lean or something. Same reason why Last Man Standing isn't winning all the TV awards despite it....and almost all basic network shows being complete trash.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

New Yorker:
"“Joker” reflects political cowardice on the part of a filmmaker, and perhaps of a studio, in emptying out the specifics of the city’s modern history and current American politics so that the movie can be released as mere entertainment to viewers who are exasperated with the idea of movies being discussed in political terms—i.e., to Republicans...
...The trope resembles Hillary Clinton’s reference to many of the supporters of Donald Trump as “deplorables,” a term that was adopted by some as a badge of honor—except in “Joker” the epithet applies rather to radicals on the left, who loom as a menace waiting to happen."

Salon:
"Is this movie really just the biggest-budget Ben Shapiro video? To what extent will misogynistic creeps “feel seen” in this film? "

I think I've mentioned here before, but I look at the rotten tomatoes "ratio" of films, critic score vs viewer score. If the critic score is much higher than the viewer, that's a bad ratio. it's either super artsy, or politically far left. If the viewer score is much higher, it's either an enjoyable popcorn movie, comedy, or in rare cases, a movie with a political right message, or at least anti left. Joker is undoubtedly the latter. 90% viewer, 68% critic. And you don't have to read many of the "rotten" reviews, to know that they feel this movie sends the wrong message.

Must suck going through life always worried about the political affiliations and messages.

I couldn't care less what message the movie had. It was really well made and the acting in it was phenomenal. Not every thing has to be about politics.

New Yorker:
"“Joker” reflects political cowardice on the part of a filmmaker, and perhaps of a studio, in emptying out the specifics of the city’s modern history and current American politics so that the movie can be released as mere entertainment to viewers who are exasperated with the idea of movies being discussed in political terms—i.e., to Republicans...
...The trope resembles Hillary Clinton’s reference to many of the supporters of Donald Trump as “deplorables,” a term that was adopted by some as a badge of honor—except in “Joker” the epithet applies rather to radicals on the left, who loom as a menace waiting to happen."

Salon:
"Is this movie really just the biggest-budget Ben Shapiro video? To what extent will misogynistic creeps “feel seen” in this film? "

I think I've mentioned here before, but I look at the rotten tomatoes "ratio" of films, critic score vs viewer score. If the critic score is much higher than the viewer, that's a bad ratio. it's either super artsy, or politically far left. If the viewer score is much higher, it's either an enjoyable popcorn movie, comedy, or in rare cases, a movie with a political right message, or at least anti left. Joker is undoubtedly the latter. 90% viewer, 68% critic. And you don't have to read many of the "rotten" reviews, to know that they feel this movie sends the wrong message.

Holy f*ck. Those are actual reviews from critics?

Took my Mom to Downton Abbey last night. It was great! I really enjoyed it. Way better than I expected. I've never seen the show before, I know like ONE person who has and they love it. I might have to think about watching it if I ever have the time. Highly recommend it! It probably won't be in theaters long; I think it's been out quite a while.

Must suck going through life always worried about the political affiliations and messages.

I couldn't care less what message the movie had. It was really well made and the acting in it was phenomenal. Not every thing has to be about politics.

I'm not "worried" about it. It's right in my face. I don't want everything to be about politics, but almost all of it is. I'm not responsible for making it political.

Holy f*ck. Those are actual reviews from critics?

Took my Mom to Downton Abbey last night. It was great! I really enjoyed it. Way better than I expected. I've never seen the show before, I know like ONE person who has and they love it. I might have to think about watching it if I ever have the time. Highly recommend it! It probably won't be in theaters long; I think it's been out quite a while.

Wow, you've never watched the show and went to the movie? The show is fantastic, one of my favorites.

I'm not "worried" about it. It's right in my face. I don't want everything to be about politics, but almost all of it is. I'm not responsible for making it political.

Yes you are. If you weren't so dumb you could go enjoy a movie without letting the politics get to you. It is 100% your fault.

At the very beginning of the movie, "The Joker" checks for mail, and the name on the mailbox is "P Fleck". Obviously Hollywood doesn't like our football coach.

Stayed home sick yesterday and watched Joker on demand. Like Ogee, my wife (and certainly not my kids) would watch it, so this was my one chance. I thought it was very good (not great) and very gruesome. I liked a lot of it...including Phoenix's performance and the directing. Score was pretty good too. But the story seemed to have a lot of holes and unconvincing. The story seemed to happen all within the course of a week, which didn't seem plausible (though obviously Joker had some things built up that spilled over). It felt rushed and too self-aware. Overall, though very good movie if you're in the mood for a violent character story.

Top Bottom