Minnesota Goes to the Rose Bowl in 2020, 2021, 2022?

I don’t think it’s correct that the loser of the Big Ten championship game is considered the #2 team for bowl purposes.

I think it’s done by the final ranking.

CFP has muddied it. Since CFP has been 4 teams, it looks like the loser of the B1G championship game goes to the Rose Bowl, on years it is not a CFP game, unless the winner is not selected for CFP. If the winner is not selected for CFP, they go to Rose Bowl...when it is not a CFP game.

CFP has muddied it. Since CFP has been 4 teams, it looks like the loser of the B1G championship game goes to the Rose Bowl, on years it is not a CFP game, unless the winner is not selected for CFP. If the winner is not selected for CFP, they go to Rose Bowl...when it is not a CFP game.

I don’t think that’s correct, because I believe the Rose Bowl has to take the highest ranked Big Ten team if the champion goes to the CFP, as you said in years it isn’t a semi-final game.

For example last season, if Ohio St had been in the CFP, I believe the Rose would’ve been required to take #7 Michigan. NW ended up #22 in the final (pre-bowl) CFP rankings, also behind #12 Penn St.

The future is not guaranteed. I think I heard that in a movie (maybe one of the Terminator movies...)

Anyway - things can change so much from year to year in college FB. Last year, when the Gophers beat WI, did anyone predict WI would come back and look so much better this year? With incoming FR, transfers, etc, a team can go from so-so to really good in one off-season. And a couple of key injuries can turn a team from promising to hopeless in a few minutes of game time.

The point is - speculating about future schedules is iffy at best. the 2021 schedule may be tougher than we think, or it may turn out to be easier.

As far as the OP - in a weird way, if I had to choose between a Conference Title and the Rose Bowl, I might take the Rose Bowl. I'm old enough that the game means something special to me. It is the Grand-daddy of the bowls. I remember when the Rose Bowl was the big event on new Year's day - before there were 139 bowl games, or whatever we have now.

So, a conference title would be great. (in reality, I don't see anyone in the B1G touching OSU this year) But I would be very happy to watch the Gophers play in the Rose Bowl.

Would agree that the future (and current state) of the offense is pretty bright, much less so for the defense. We lose nearly all key contributors on that side of the ball after this year. That’s why we really need to take advantage this year.

We will be very young at linebacker which has been a strength over the past several years. But will have a lot of returning experience on D-line and in secondary.

I don’t think that’s correct, because I believe the Rose Bowl has to take the highest ranked Big Ten team if the champion goes to the CFP, as you said in years it isn’t a semi-final game.

For example last season, if Ohio St had been in the CFP, I believe the Rose would’ve been required to take #7 Michigan. NW ended up #22 in the final (pre-bowl) CFP rankings, also behind #12 Penn St.

This is since 2014 (4 team CFP)

When not a CFP playoff game and the B1G champion is selected to the CFP, Rose Bowl has sole discretion in selecting a replacement B1G team. They are not required to take the next highest ranked B1G team, but will generally select highest-rated available team, but will take into consideration final College Football Playoff rankings, head-to-head competition, division champions and most recent Rose Bowl Game appearances.

I don't think the scenario you lay out has happened yet.

I’d take The Rose Bowl over the CFP in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When not a CFP playoff game and the B1G champion is selected to the CFP, Rose Bowl has sole discretion in selecting a replacement B1G team. They are not required to take the next highest ranked B1G team, but will generally select highest-rated available team, but will take into consideration final College Football Playoff rankings, head-to-head competition, division champions and most recent Rose Bowl Game appearances.

Thanks for finding that and correcting me! That sounds reasonable. So I guess there is a chance then that they could select the champ game loser. I fear what it would really come down to, sadly, is which team would travel best and get highest TV ratings.

They are required to take the team with the longest Rose Bowl drought in the case of co-Champs.

So, we have that going for us!

Dreaming only because I don't think the Goph D is good enough to get through the season with only 1 or 2 losses, but when dreaming here....

I'd take the Rose Bowl over CFP or almost any other scenario. I've told my wife numerous times, going to the Rose Bowl and rooting for the Gophs is on top of a bucket list.

After looking at history, I'm also fine with a West Division championship that leads into a big bowl game. It would be as much as the Gophs accomplished in at least the last two Big Ten championship years 1967 and 1960 when they didn't play Ohio State and only had 7 Big Ten games...as preposterous as that sounds on the face. The road to the current 14-team BG10 championship is much tougher now.

Rose Bowl would be great, of course. But I'd take 6 conference wins in one season. Last time that happened was back in 1973.

Thanks for finding that and correcting me! That sounds reasonable. So I guess there is a chance then that they could select the champ game loser. I fear what it would really come down to, sadly, is which team would travel best and get highest TV ratings.

It happened for 2016 Rosebowl. Iowa was 2015 championship loser.

Going to a Gophers vs. Whoever Rose Bowl is on my Bucket List...

Not saying my end is near but not getting any younger...

My personal unbelievably near impossible "Whoever" would be the University of Georgia (as a grad of both institutions)...which is possible with how the CFP is structured now. Every day after such an event would be incing on the cake.

Completely happy with a B1G Championship Game too. I've scoped Indi for just such an opportunity and have a good idea how the Billds would approach it.

They are required to take the team with the longest Rose Bowl drought in the case of co-Champs.

So, we have that going for us!

Unfortunately for our sake, I'm 99% sure that rule was changed years ago.

But I don't think it would matter either way. The Rose Bowl is all about the romance, find it hard to believe they'd pass on us in this scenario.

You can't really have co-champions when you have a championship game. So I'm sure that was the old rule, before the CG was created.

It happened for 2016 Rosebowl. Iowa was 2015 championship loser.

Yes, but Iowa WAS the highest ranked Big Ten team outside the CFP selections that year. I'm talking about where the champ game loser is NOT the highest ranked Big Ten team outside the CFP selections, but then the Rose Bowl would select them anyway.

That would be our most likely path. We'd play Ohio State in this year's championship game, lose to them, and end up ranked lower than other East teams. Would the Rose Bowl still take us?

Here have been the scenarios since 2014:

2014 - N/A because Rose was a CFP semi-final game
2015 - MSU beats Iowa in the CG - final CFP rankings: MSU #3, Iowa #5, Ohio St #7 - Rose selects Iowa to play #6 Stanford
2016 - PSU beats Wisc in the CG - final CFP rankings: OSU #3, PSU #5, Mich #6, Wisc #8 - Rose selects PSU to play #9 USC
2017 - N/A because Rose was a CFP semi-final game
2018 - OSU beats NW in the CG - final CFP rankings: OSU #6, Mich #7, PSU #12, NW #22 - Rose selects OSU to play #9 Washington

So like you had said before, my scenario hasn't gotten to play out yet fully. Some interesting circumstances have led to that, as well.

I’m picking up what you are putting down. I kind of feel like this year is the team’s best chance and here is why:

3. Several stand out seniors. It’s not a large senior class but these players are all really good- Tyler Johnson, Carter Coughlin, Kamal Martin, Chris Williamson, Thomas Barber, Rodney Smith, Shannon Brooks.
!

I feel the same way and I think we are feeling the loss of Cashman as a tackler at LB this year already, Kamal seems to be stepping up his game, Barber started slow but seemed to figure it out later in the Purdue game, I'm dreading the drop off in LB next year. 2015 you could see the future of Barber being a full time LB even though he started only on special teams, he was making about half the tackles on special teams and was clearly a special player. I'm still waiting to see that kind of play from the LB's that are next man up on this team.

I feel the same way and I think we are feeling the loss of Cashman as a tackler at LB this year already, Kamal seems to be stepping up his game, Barber started slow but seemed to figure it out later in the Purdue game, I'm dreading the drop off in LB next year. 2015 you could see the future of Barber being a full time LB even though he started only on special teams, he was making about half the tackles on special teams and was clearly a special player. I'm still waiting to see that kind of play from the LB's that are next man up on this team.

We have three 3-star LB in 2018 class, plus Josh Aune who is now at LB. These are all 2nd year guys. They still have time to figure some things out this fall and next spring.

The 2017 class had Trenton Guthrie, and it unfortunately looks like he hasn't done much so far.

2019 had a couple nice LB recruits who will get a look in spring, plus they could look at Williamson there too if they wanted.

We have three 3-star LB in 2018 class, plus Josh Aune who is now at LB. These are all 2nd year guys. They still have time to figure some things out this fall and next spring.

The 2017 class had Trenton Guthrie, and it unfortunately looks like he hasn't done much so far.

2019 had a couple nice LB recruits who will get a look in spring, plus they could look at Williamson there too if they wanted.

I hope your right, but my gut tells me if any of the 2018 guys were going to pan out they would be looking like monsters on special teams right now and so far I haven't seen it and the little bit of action the guys got when Kamal was out wasn't reassuring. No reason that at least some of the guys coming in that we haven't seen might not be contributors, if we need to sub in one or two guys I'd feel better. Replacing three becomes tough.

Let's say the run of good fortune continues and the Gophers go 13 - 0. Even if that remote possibility occurs they will still be play in the Rose Bowl, IMO. The SEC would get 2 spots, Oklahoma, and Clemson/Notre Dame the other two. Why? We don't get the respect required nor does the big ten west conference with the exception of Wisconsin.

Let's say the run of good fortune continues and the Gophers go 13 - 0. Even if that remote possibility occurs they will still be play in the Rose Bowl, IMO. The SEC would get 2 spots, Oklahoma, and Clemson/Notre Dame the other two. Why? We don't get the respect required nor does the big ten west conference with the exception of Wisconsin.

13-0 against Iowa, Wisc, Penn St and probably Ohio St in Indy. Guaranteed in the CFP.

It is probably silly to argue things that won't happen but if the Gophers were somehow 13-0, having just beaten the B1G East champs, I don't see any way they wouldn't be in the top 4. The day they exclude an undefeated power conference champ in favor of a one or two loss school from a different power conference, is the day they need to burn down the existing playoff system.

Only year 3 guys. Everyone knows nothing happens till year 4. Unrealistic to think any different.

Technically this is only year two. 2017 was year zero, dontchaknow.

Good things will happen this year. Stay healthy Gophers!

You don't miss at 13-0 in a major conference.
12-1 we could miss, especially if Iowa, WI, OSU, PSU all have multiple losses.

If WI goes unbeaten until we play them, and Iowa only loses to us and WI, and PSU only loses to us and OSU, and OSU only loses to us, we would have probably beat 4 top 15 teams in that scenario.

Is OSU and WI both lose a couple more though, and PSU and Iowa both end up about 8-4 instead of 10-2, then we don't look great.

Top Bottom