Weather vs Nebraska

Accuweather is showing cooler temps for Saturday but less than a 30% chance of precipitation.

That's why today was 59 and sunny?

I'll give you that getting within 5-10 degrees is not always accurate. It was cloudy instead of partly cloudy on Friday, and that dropped the temps. What I care about when I am tuning into a TV forecast is:

- Is it going to impact a work commute?
- Do I need a jacket, umbrella etc?
- Am I going to get my golf round in and if so be able to wear shorts?
- What do I need to prepare for a day at TCF Bank or a HS football game?

That stuff is pretty spot on within 24-48 hrs (as it was for the Illini game) on Ch 9.

A night snow game where it's not that cold (low 30's) would be lovely!

It's early October for cripes sake. It's not supposed to be snowing and freezing yet!

It's early October for cripes sake. It's not supposed to be snowing and freezing yet!

It's supposed to snow in Denver on Thursday and get down to 16 that night. It was in the 80s a few days ago. Crazy.

I submit that the bad weather games + doing well ... the crowd always seems more into it.

Something about the adventure and spirit of those folks gritting it out.

I've been tearing the house apart looking for my Gopher parka. Didn't think I would need it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

GWG, can you give us an updated outlook? What are your thoughts on kickoff temp, precip during the game, and average wind?

Looks like its supposed to be mid 30's at kickoff, but will feel colder with the wind. Chances for precipitation for Sat evening seem to have gone down a bit. Let's hope it continues

True, but we're on a pretty steep descent for the avg temps. By the end of the month, it is supposed to be close to freezing on the lows. That's only a couple weeks difference.

KMSP201910plot-2.png

These hourly forecasts are a crap shoot and usually don't get very accurate until the day targeted time frame arrives. However, in looking at my usual weather source it does look like the chance of precipitation has been dropping. Most of the day the chance of rain or snow is below 40%. I would say at this point that it won't be surprising to see a rain drop or a snowflake drifting in the wind throughout the day and game but given the updated forecast I don't think anyone is going to get wet. An occasional mist or at worst sprinkle with perhaps just enough snow for everyone to day "that is the first time I have seen snow this year" and perhaps make an interesting visual for TV coverage - but not a steady rain, nobody gets wet, and no snow accumulates.

The temps on the other hand haven't budged in the long range forecast and the closer Saturday gets, the more it appears to be a chilly day/night with temps in the mid thirties. The other thing that is looking more and more like it is going to be a weather factor is the wind. A dreary, windy, cloudy, generally miserably cold fall day but warm enough to enjoy a long tailgate and game if people dress accordingly.

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/mn/minneapolis/44.98,-93.27/date/2019-10-12

These hourly forecasts are a crap shoot and usually don't get very accurate until the day targeted time frame arrives. However, in looking at my usual weather source it does look like the chance of precipitation has been dropping. Most of the day the chance of rain or snow is below 40%. I would say at this point that it won't be surprising to see a rain drop or a snowflake drifting in the wind throughout the day and game but given the updated forecast I don't think anyone is going to get wet. An occasional mist or at worst sprinkle with perhaps just enough snow for everyone to day "that is the first time I have seen snow this year" and perhaps make an interesting visual for TV coverage - but not a steady rain, nobody gets wet, and no snow accumulates.

The temps on the other hand haven't budged in the long range forecast and the closer Saturday gets, the more it appears to be a chilly day/night with temps in the mid thirties. The other thing that is looking more and more like it is going to be a weather factor is the wind. A dreary, windy, cloudy, generally miserably cold fall day but warm enough to enjoy a long tailgate and game if people dress accordingly.

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/mn/minneapolis/44.98,-93.27/date/2019-10-12
a009e76dfaf460363a4116395758dad0.jpg

Hope Fleck has a couple of his morning practices outside, temps in the morning should be closer to what it'll be game night than how cold they can get the indoor facility.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Forecast update: Kickoff temperature will be around 37, with temps falling to around freezing by the end of the game. Snow showers are also likely during the game, with a coating - 1" of accumulation possible. A southwest wind of 10-20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 early in the game, will blow through the open end of the stadium. The wind will decrease to 10-15 mph as the night goes on.

Forecast update: Kickoff temperature will be around 37, with temps falling to around freezing by the end of the game. Snow showers are also likely during the game, with a coating - 1" of accumulation possible. A southwest wind of 10-20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 early in the game, will blow through the open end of the stadium. The wind will decrease to 10-15 mph as the night goes on.

Thanks GWG! 10-15 is more of a breeze than anything super uncomfortable. This actually doesn't sound so bad to me at all. A little dusting of snow is MUCH preferred to any kind of rain.

The conditions will make things really interesting for a couple of kickers that aren't exactly what anyone would call seasoned reliable veterans.

There will most likely be decisions made during the game based on the conditions; i.e going for it on 4th down when inside the opposing team's 25-40 yard line (I don't see anyone trying any FG longer than 40 yards in this one), different kickoff strategies, etc.

Kicking game will be key, and field position will be at an extreme PREMIUM. The staff that better manages the field position game will have a huge leg up in this one.

KSTP's Dave Dahl said at 6 it will be a "wintry mix" for the game.

Should make for a memorable night, especially with the W. ;)

I can't wait for some old school FB ! Time to find my winter boots .

Update: the aggregate of my 3 weather apps report something similar. Its almost as if we need to wait until 48 hours out to get a mildly accurate forecast...nah that can't be it tho ��?

Love these types of games. You know who the real diehard fans are. There is no bad weather only inappropriate clothing.

Love these types of games. You know who the real diehard fans are. There is no bad weather only inappropriate clothing.

Very true. No fair weather fans in the stands tomorrow...they're in the concourse. ;)

new forecast: 55%chance of rain and decreasing winds by game time. I believe the rain chance is mostly west of us. Despite being cold, it will be perfect for football under the lights.

I can dress for anything over 20, once it's below 20 it gets really cold. Rain and 30's/40's can be pain.

Top Bottom