behind enemy lines: Illinois fans are not too hopeful for the matchup with MN

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
I've mentioned before it can be fun to read opposing team fan forums prior to games with the Gophers. Most fan bases are pretty much the same and carry inflated opinions of their teams as well as their ability to win games (probably the case with us as well). Last week was no exception as a high percentage of Purdue fans saw their game with the Gophers as a win. The Fresno State folks took it a step further, despite few power 5 wins in their team's history, they were not only convinced of victory, many saw the game with the Gophers as a name-your-score blowout in the making.

It is a completely different situation with the Illinois fans. They are quite down on their team and most see this game as at least a two touchdown loss. I think it can be summed up with one fan's answer to a question about Tanner Morgan...

Is Minnesota’s qb a dual threat guy?
Against us, he's probably a Triple threat: run, pass, fillet.

The Gophers have not yet arrived as a college football power under fleck, but reading the Illinois boards reminds me of Gopher Hole back in the depths of the Brewster years.

I've mentioned before it can be fun to read opposing team fan forums prior to games with the Gophers. Most fan bases are pretty much the same and carry inflated opinions of their teams as well as their ability to win games (probably the case with us as well). Last week was no exception as a high percentage of Purdue fans saw their game with the Gophers as a win. The Fresno State folks took it a step further, despite few power 5 wins in their team's history, they were not only convinced of victory, many saw the game with the Gophers as a name-your-score blowout in the making.

It is a completely different situation with the Illinois fans. They are quite down on their team and most see this game as at least a two touchdown loss. I think it can be summed up with one fan's answer to a question about Tanner Morgan...

Is Minnesota’s qb a dual threat guy?
Against us, he's probably a Triple threat: run, pass, fillet.

The Gophers have not yet arrived as a college football power under fleck, but reading the Illinois boards reminds me of Gopher Hole back in the depths of the Brewster years.

Illinois is a bad team by Big Ten standards that will be playing on the road, so it sounds like there assessment seems pretty realistic as to what you'd predict given those circumstances.

That being said, Illinois has enough talent that some weird voodoo could happen and they could end up winning back to back games against us. So they shouldn't completely lose hope, the Gophers aren't good enough for Illinois to write the L in ink yet.

I just looked up some NCAA stats.

On Total Offense, Minnesota and Illinois are pretty even. Minnesota is #83 and 389.5 ypg and Illinois is #88 at 380. Total Defense, Minnesota is #40 at 331 ypg and Illinois is #82 at 407 ypg. Illinois has the edge on Rushing offense, they are #56 at 174 ypg while Minneosta is #110 at 115 ypg.

Passing offense, Minnesota does better. #40 at 274 ypg, Illinois is #104 and 194 ypg. On Rushing defense, Minnesota is #37 at 119 ypg while Illinois is #61 at 196 ypg. Passing Yards Allowed, Minnesota is #53 at 211 ypg and Illinois is #102 at 261 ypg.

Illinois has beaten us twice in recent memory. Both were road games for us.

I think we got clobbered by them at home under Brewster.

Did Zook lose his last Big Ten game to our interim coach?

Hope we win on Saturday.

Last edited:

Illinois has beaten us twice is recent memory. Both were road games for us.

Hope we win on Saturday.

We did not get clobbered at home under Brewster. We were getting clobbered at halftime but the game went down to the wire, with the Gophers losing 32-35.

Their 247 board is a bit more optimistic but still containing some great zingers related to their own team:

I'm all for the sense of urgency as I already lost my sense of humor over this team. So far the only thing they've shown a sense of urgency in is getting off the field and putting the defense out there.

I can understand where they're coming from. It's a road game and the fan base has a lot of concerns with Lovie Smith's leadership.

For historical reference.
  • Minnesota leads the all time series 38-30.
  • Since 2000, Minnesota leads 11-5
  • The 2010 win for Minnesota snapped a nine game season losing streak. It was one of two wins for interim head coach Jeff Horton, the other was against Iowa in the season finale.
  • Jerry Kill's second Big Ten win came in the season finale against Illinois. Marqueis Gray powered the team to a 27-7 win.
  • The 2012 victory made Minnesota bowl eligible for the first time since 2009. Since that win the Gophers have been bowl eligible for every year except for 2017.

I just looked up some NCAA stats.

On Total Offense, Minnesota and Illinois are pretty even. Minnesota is #83 and 389.5 ypg and Illinois is #88 at 380. Total Defense, Minnesota is #40 at 331 ypg and Illinois is #82 at 407 ypg. Illinois has the edge on Rushing offense, they are #56 at 174 ypg while Minneosta is #110 at 115 ypg.

Passing offense, Minnesota does better. #40 at 274 ypg, Illinois is #104 and 194 ypg. On Rushing defense, Minnesota is #37 at 119 ypg while Illinois is #61 at 196 ypg. Passing Yards Allowed, Minnesota is #53 at 211 ypg and Illinois is #102 at 261 ypg.

Neck and neck in scoring offense, but the numbers you posted say Gophs should win comfortably.

Illinois has beaten us twice in recent memory. Both were road games for us.

Hope we win on Saturday.

We did lose to Illinois 44-17 at home in Brewster's 1st season. That was the same season Illinois went to the Rose Bowl.

Illinois is a bad team by Big Ten standards that will be playing on the road, so it sounds like there assessment seems pretty realistic as to what you'd predict given those circumstances.

That being said, Illinois has enough talent that some weird voodoo could happen and they could end up winning back to back games against us. So they shouldn't completely lose hope, the Gophers aren't good enough for Illinois to write the L in ink yet.

Yep. If I've learned anything in my life as a Minnesota sports fan, it's that a Minnesota fan has zero right to ever have confidence.

We did lose to Illinois 44-17 at home in Brewster's 1st season. That was the same season Illinois went to the Rose Bowl.

Our season tickets were behind the goal post in the Dome, but we used to sneak over to the other side of the field and sit in open seats where the seating area was just cushioned folding chairs (visitors sideline, I think they were behind home plate for baseball). Anyway, I can still see Juice Williams and Rashard Mendenhall going bonkers in that game on that end of the field.

Top Bottom