Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 71
  1. #1

    Default MN state rep Nolan West working to propose similar legislation to new California law

    Thought this deserved its own thread. I don't like the change but since it's inevitable, i'd rather Minnesota get ahead of it.

    http://www.startribune.com/new-calif...nts/561828352/

    State Rep. Nolan West, R-Blaine, is working on a proposal similar to the bill passed in California. His goal will be to introduce it to the Minnesota House during the next session.

    “I think there would be a lot of support,” West said. “This is a quintessential workplace issue of unpaid labor and that kind of ridiculous situation for a lot of these athletes who could get permanent brain damage and never receive a dime of compensation for hundreds and hundreds of hours of work.”

    West said Newsom opened the door for other states to have an opportunity to follow their lead, putting some “real pressure” on the NCAA to make changes to their current policies.

    If the bill passed in Minnesota, West said it would at least be a year before college athletes in the state could take advantage of the law.

    “We are aware of the bill that was signed in California,” Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle said in an e-mail. “We are a legacy member of the Big Ten and will work closely with Commissioner [Jim] Delany, Commissioner [Kevin] Warren and the conference on this matter moving forward.”

    Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck said he didn’t know enough specifics on the California bill to comment, though he added, “I think the way college football is, change is inevitable. It’s always evolving.”


  2. #2

    Default

    Haha, "unpaid labor." Get real. If you want to have an honest discussion, Nolan, you have to be honest yourself first. P.S. No one is making anyone play college athletics, and in fact most every scholarship recipient fought tooth-and-nail for the privilege of receiving "unpaid labor."

  3. #3

    Default

    Completely insane idea that will destroy the NCAA and destroy college football as we have known it. Radicals wanting money (payment) for black players are behind it. The result would be that a handful of big schools with winning records and expensive facilities would haul in the most recruits and all the efforts to level the playing field over the years by the NCAA would be destroyed. Many power five schools would join a super conference and leave the NCAA, so that that exercise in local self-government would collapse. The rich would get richer, the poor would drop football. It is yet another exercise in putting the individual ahead of the community (a favorite theme on the Supreme Court for 40 years or so - the aggrieved individual - like Madalyn O'Hair - is right, the local school boards, counties, states are wrong). This is the MO of the courts as they bash local governments in business, sports, politics, always on behalf of an angry individual or minority group. Because greed is contagious, the only hope is that CA schools bar athletes who get paid for sports. They can then go pro, which is probably where they belong, anyway.

  4. #4

    Default

    Nolan is a scumbag, but he's right on this. Athletes should not be barred from endorsements or any other way to monetize their image or likeness.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gopherguy0723 View Post
    Nolan is a scumbag, but he's right on this. Athletes should not be barred from endorsements or any other way to monetize their image or likeness.
    It got too big for itself. If the NCAA opens a loophole coaches take advantage of it and exploit it to the max. I think the real winners in this are the NBA and the NFL. They have a free minor league. Open up all sports to all ages and let players go pro if they are good enough at whatever age. Other than that, I want college athletics to be student athletes and not paid professionals. I absolutely don't have a problem with some volleyball player getting a few thousand bucks for a local commercial or giving lessons or something but if Jalen Hurts wants a $500,000 deal with some advertiser he should just go pro. It isn't really an equal playing field now so I don't know how much it will matter. I just don't like $500,000 endorsement guy playing against the walk-on.

  6. #6

    Default

    Am I the only one who is concerned that this would lead to huge recuiting advantages for these schools? Unless the NCAA says yes to everyone or no somehow to everyone, there are going to be serious issues and competitive advantages disadvantages.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAFanOfBecky View Post
    Am I the only one who is concerned that this would lead to huge recuiting advantages for these schools? Unless the NCAA says yes to everyone or no somehow to everyone, there are going to be serious issues and competitive advantages disadvantages.
    The NCAA's hand is being forced. It's an extremely weak association. It will change or cease to exist.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ComoGopher View Post
    It got too big for itself. If the NCAA opens a loophole coaches take advantage of it and exploit it to the max. I think the real winners in this are the NBA and the NFL. They have a free minor league. Open up all sports to all ages and let players go pro if they are good enough at whatever age. Other than that, I want college athletics to be student athletes and not paid professionals. I absolutely don't have a problem with some volleyball player getting a few thousand bucks for a local commercial or giving lessons or something but if Jalen Hurts wants a $500,000 deal with some advertiser he should just go pro. It isn't really an equal playing field now so I don't know how much it will matter. I just don't like $500,000 endorsement guy playing against the walk-on.
    That horse left the barn a long time ago. Let the P5 teams make football and basketball semi-pro sports and the rest of the sports can shake themselves out. What would be interesting to me would be the D3 level where if the NCAA loses their teeth, those schools could do what they want to with a few big boosters and just dominate.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gopherguy0723 View Post
    Nolan is a scumbag, but he's right on this. Athletes should not be barred from endorsements or any other way to monetize their image or likeness.
    They aren't barred. They are just no longer eligible to compete in the NCAA.

    Nolan sounds like he'd be more comfortable on the west coast, see ya.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Haha, "unpaid labor." Get real. If you want to have an honest discussion, Nolan, you have to be honest yourself first. P.S. No one is making anyone play college athletics, and in fact most every scholarship recipient fought tooth-and-nail for the privilege of receiving "unpaid labor."
    It is doubtful that Rep. Nolan was an athlete. He forgets, what is the value of a scholarship? $50/60 thousand per year. That to me represents “pay”. Plus what does he purpose for the other sports—- track, swimming, volleyball, etc where the endorsements will be few and far between?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    4,432

    Default

    We should pay high school athletes too who are clearly unpaid labor as well since the local high schools don’t give them a single dime and they all get brain damage. /s

    Nolan’s statements are hot garbage

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Haha, "unpaid labor." Get real. If you want to have an honest discussion, Nolan, you have to be honest yourself first. P.S. No one is making anyone play college athletics, and in fact most every scholarship recipient fought tooth-and-nail for the privilege of receiving "unpaid labor."
    All jobs in the US are voluntary. What does no one making them play college athletics have to do with it?

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by upnorthkid View Post
    We should pay high school athletes too who are clearly unpaid labor as well since the local high schools don’t give them a single dime and they all get brain damage. /s

    Nolan’s statements are hot garbage
    If people want to pay them, you don't think they should be allowed? We allow everyone else to monetize their likeness.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete smith View Post
    It is doubtful that Rep. Nolan was an athlete. He forgets, what is the value of a scholarship? $50/60 thousand per year. That to me represents “pay”. Plus what does he purpose for the other sports—- track, swimming, volleyball, etc where the endorsements will be few and far between?
    I wish we lived within a system where the market could decide.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gopherguy0723 View Post
    Nolan is a scumbag, but he's right on this. Athletes should not be barred from endorsements or any other way to monetize their image or likeness.
    Well, yes, but in the OP, he certainly had a poor way of framing that.

    His words were speaking to the idea of paying college athletes a salary, instead of a scholarship. Which is a completely, totally different discussion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •