Andy Greder: After near-perfect game, Gophers QB Tanner Morgan says: “I got to be bet

PitinoFan

Banned
Reaction score
This is why he has a chance to be great.

——

Tanner Morgan’s one incompletion in the 38-31 win over Purdue on Saturday was an intentional overthrow to avoid a sack in the second quarter, coach P.J. Fleck said Monday.

That little fact adds more to how great the Gophers’ sophomore quarterback was in his record-setting 21-for-22 passing performance, which set a Big Ten record with a 95.5 completion percentage.

But after Morgan set personal bests of 395 passing yards and four touchdowns, he walked off the field at Ross-Ade Stadium and told Fleck: “I got to be better.”

Fleck shook his head in disbelief when relaying that story Monday, and in the moment, it didn’t add up for Fleck, either.

Fleck said Morgan, who was named the Big Ten offensive player of the week on Monday, was likely referring to providing better leadership of the team and some protection calls that put stress on the offensive line, tight ends and running backs. Morgan was sacked four times, which has been a season-long issue for the U.

Morgan’s QB rating through four games is a jaw-dropping 202.1; it’s behind three early Heisman Trophy contenders: Oklahoma’s Jalen Hurts, LSU’s Joe Burrow and Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa.

More here: https://www.twincities.com/2019/09/...ers-qb-tanner-morgan-says-i-got-to-be-better/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's not entirely wrong, his pocket awareness has lead to few sacks at times. But when you complete 95% of your passes for 400 yards and 4 TD's, I'll accept taking a bad sack

He's not in the Heisman race, nor should he be. But when was the last time a Gopher got invited to NY for the ceremony? (had a Gopher in the top 3-5 candidates)

He's not entirely wrong, his pocket awareness has lead to few sacks at times. But when you complete 95% of your passes for 400 yards and 4 TD's, I'll accept taking a bad sack

Yeah it has been a lot easier to take lately.

I'm still worried a bit about him getting through / seeing second options, but that's i'm sure as much a learned thing as anyone else and he's doing fine.

I'd rather have him take most sacks than try to force a ball that results in a bad turnover. Not saying he is perfect at it but sometimes its better to just lose the yards and live to fight another day, especially with our ability to get big yardage on passing plays. A 3rd and 16 isn't a death sentence for this year (either is 3rd and 30...)

Tanner Morgan: Not afraid to be a Legend.

I'd rather have him take most sacks than try to force a ball that results in a bad turnover. Not saying he is perfect at it but sometimes its better to just lose the yards and live to fight another day, especially with our ability to get big yardage on passing plays. A 3rd and 16 isn't a death sentence for this year (either is 3rd and 30...)

Agree!

My problem is he often runs into pressure when he could be avoiding it. He just seems to lack that awareness of where to go. Some of the sacks taken are on him

Sacks can injure shoulders, knees, and ankles. I'd rather he not take sacks and throw the ball away.

Last edited:

Top Bottom