Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1

    Default Baltimore Sun on U: 10-win season and run at the BT West title are well within reach

    per the Baltimore Sun:

    Itís time to get serious about Minnesota, SMU, Baylor, Memphis and Wake Forest.

    Verdict: Not an overreaction.

    What do all five teams have in common? A big olí goose egg in the loss column.

    Minnesota: Letís start with the Golden Gophers, who handled Purdue on the road to move to 4-0, their best start since 2013. Quarterback Tanner Morgan was nearly perfect, completing 21 of 22 passes for 396 yards and four touchdowns as Minnesota averaged nearly 9 yards per play, with 12 plays going for 16 yards or more. If Morgan and the Gophers can keep that up, a 10-win season and a run at the Big Ten West title are well within reason.

    https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...nx4-story.html

    Go Gophers!!


  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    per the Baltimore Sun:

    Itís time to get serious about Minnesota, SMU, Baylor, Memphis and Wake Forest.

    Verdict: Not an overreaction.

    What do all five teams have in common? A big olí goose egg in the loss column.

    Minnesota: Letís start with the Golden Gophers, who handled Purdue on the road to move to 4-0, their best start since 2013. Quarterback Tanner Morgan was nearly perfect, completing 21 of 22 passes for 396 yards and four touchdowns as Minnesota averaged nearly 9 yards per play, with 12 plays going for 16 yards or more. If Morgan and the Gophers can keep that up, a 10-win season and a run at the Big Ten West title are well within reason.

    https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...nx4-story.html

    Go Gophers!!
    I like the bolded part. I've heard many mentions of "another one-possession game". And that is literally a true statement.

    But I think this person must actually have seen the game; the Gophers really did handle Purdue. The game wasn't as close as the final score would indicate. And it was a Big Ten road win, as well.
    --------------

    "7 National Titles...

    ... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

  3. #3

    Default

    I don't know about 10 wins but 9 is definitely attainable with how Rutgers, Illinois, Nebraska, Maryland and Northwestern have played. Penn State, Iowa and Wisconsin will be tough.

    My brain is telling me we'll beat Rutgers and Illinois, lose to Iowa, PSU and Wisconsin and go 2-1 against Nebraska, Maryland and Northwestern for a total of 8-4. My heart is telling me we'll go 3-0 against Nebraska, Maryland and Northwestern with the other 5 games being the same for a total of 9-3.

    I suppose we'll likely get a bowl game which would give us a 50% chance at another win.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by die hard gopher View Post
    I don't know about 10 wins but 9 is definitely attainable with how Rutgers, Illinois, Nebraska, Maryland and Northwestern have played. Penn State, Iowa and Wisconsin will be tough.

    My brain is telling me we'll beat Rutgers and Illinois, lose to Iowa, PSU and Wisconsin and go 2-1 against Nebraska, Maryland and Northwestern for a total of 8-4. My heart is telling me we'll go 3-0 against Nebraska, Maryland and Northwestern with the other 5 games being the same for a total of 9-3.

    I suppose we'll likely get a bowl game which would give us a 50% chance at another win.
    Gophers are sitting around a 30% chance to win 10+ games based on win probabilities so I think 10 has become the new "attainable" for now.

    I'm expecting 9 wins as well, but I wouldn't be shocked with anything between 8 and 10.

    If the Gophers want to win the West then they are gong to need to step up big time against a couple of the ranked teams on their schedule because I'm not sure that Wisconsin is going to lose more than one game this year.
    Last edited by hello-world; 09-30-2019 at 03:58 PM.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by die hard gopher View Post
    I don't know about 10 wins but 9 is definitely attainable with how Rutgers, Illinois, Nebraska, Maryland and Northwestern have played. Penn State, Iowa and Wisconsin will be tough.

    My brain is telling me we'll beat Rutgers and Illinois, lose to Iowa, PSU and Wisconsin and go 2-1 against Nebraska, Maryland and Northwestern for a total of 8-4. My heart is telling me we'll go 3-0 against Nebraska, Maryland and Northwestern with the other 5 games being the same for a total of 9-3.

    I suppose we'll likely get a bowl game which would give us a 50% chance at another win.
    I was thinking about this today and I feel like IF we get to 8-0, then the chances are pretty good that we can go 2-2 in the last 4. Obviously you would hope we can take NW and then I like our chances at home to get 1 of 2 against PSU and Wiscy. My thought is that if we do make it to 8-0, we should be playing with a lot of confidence going into that final stretch. But let's just make sure we take care of Illinois first!

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WriterGoph View Post
    I was thinking about this today and I feel like IF we get to 8-0, then the chances are pretty good that we can go 2-2 in the last 4. Obviously you would hope we can take NW and then I like our chances at home to get 1 of 2 against PSU and Wiscy. My thought is that if we do make it to 8-0, we should be playing with a lot of confidence going into that final stretch. But let's just make sure we take care of Illinois first!
    If we make it to 8-0 (a big if, I realize) I think all bets would be off, in some ways.

    We would be in uncharted territory. How would the fan base react? How would the players react?

    We don't know. It would be really fun to find out.

    We simply have to beat Illinois.
    --------------

    "7 National Titles...

    ... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

  7. #7

    Default

    Why do we have to go all the way to Baltimore to find a newspaper talking up the Gophers like this?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    I like the bolded part. I've heard many mentions of "another one-possession game". And that is literally a true statement.

    But I think this person must actually have seen the game; the Gophers really did handle Purdue. The game wasn't as close as the final score would indicate. And it was a Big Ten road win, as well.
    It is a win. It was one possession with 4 minutes left. Morgan had an out of this world performance. in the end, it was a close game.

  9. #9

    Default

    The way the season has played out, I find it impossible to even think past the Illini game. 10-0???? How can anyone get serious about that at this point.

    Of course the boys are 4-0 but are also a play away from possibly being 1-3 or even 0-4.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Anoka County via the Iron Range
    Posts
    2,343
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Why do we have to go all the way to Baltimore to find a newspaper talking up the Gophers like this?
    Yeah, it's nuts.
    Gopher football backer since '62.
    Current GopherHole walk on.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayfieldgopher View Post
    The way the season has played out, I find it impossible to even think past the Illini game. 10-0???? How can anyone get serious about that at this point.

    Of course the boys are 4-0 but are also a play away from possibly being 1-3 or even 0-4.
    We were more than a play away from losing to Purdue. Even if Rodney were to have fumbled and Purdue returned it for a score, that would have only tied the game and we would have gotten the ball back. And in the more likely scenario that our drive stalled, we would still have punted the ball and force Purdue to drive the length of the field just to get a 50-50 shot in OT.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post

    But I think this person must actually have seen the game; the Gophers really did handle Purdue. The game wasn't as close as the final score would indicate. And it was a Big Ten road win, as well.
    Well, the game wasn't so close for most of the game but, once again, it was close in the final minutes. I wouldn't say our defense "handled" Purdue very easily. What we can say about our defense is that they were better than Purdue's defense.

  13. #13

    Default

    Excuse the local media for being a bit gun-shy about proclaiming a great Gopher season. We've gone through some of this before.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

  14. #14

    Default

    Penn State, Iowa, and Wisconsin are the only tough games. If the Gophers are 8-0 going into the last 4 they will have momentum and those games will probably look easier. I think winning one of those three is within grasp.

    The biggest thing standing in the way of 10 wins is the other 5 games. None are tough and we are favored in all but none of them are easy. If the Gophers don't show up to play they could lose any or all of them.

    I don't think the headline is wrong. The Gophers have to win the games they should win and steal one of the 3 they shouldn't. That won't be easy but I'd say it's well within reach.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    297

    Default

    There is no reason this out of the question. Of course they could tank at the drop of a hat too. I don't see that happening with the team and self-belief. The team needs to get better every week and they are. If they can come out and show they can slow down Illinois-the team that obliterated the Gopher D and got Smith fired, then confidence will grow. The offense was good against Ill, Neb, Maryland, but the D was atrocious. Holding those 3 teams to 28 or less will give the Gophers a good to great shot in all of them.
    Time will tell obviously, but at least there isn't as much of an impending doom situation like I felt last year. Thinking 10 wins is a possibility, but prognasticating 9 including a bowl win.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •