Herbers, Morgan Honored by Big Ten as Playes of the Week!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

The Big Ten recognized Tanner Morgan and Jacob Herbers today with weekly honors after Minnesota's 38-31 victory at Purdue.

Morgan was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week and Herbers was named Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week.

Morgan completed 21-of-22 passes against the Boilermakers and his 95.45 completion percentage is the highest in the history of the Big Ten for anyone who has attempted 13 or more passes in a game.

Morgan set career highs in completions (21), yards (396) and touchdowns (4) on Saturday. His 396 yards are tied for the seventh-most in school history and are the most by a Minnesota quarterback since Adam Weber threw for 416 yards in a win against Michigan State in 2009.

Herbers punted four times at Purdue and averaged 41.3 yards. He also pinned the Boilermakers at their 1 and 2-yard line with elite effort from all involved. Minnesota has not allowed a punt return yard on 14 punts this year and has held teams to negative three punt return yards in its last 16 games.

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/9/30/football-herbers-morgan-honored-by-big-ten.aspx

Go Gophers!!

Co Big Ten player of the week with Sean Clifford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am betting there was very little discussion involved in who to give the offensive player of the week nod to. When a QB completes over 95% of his passes for nearly 400 yards it shouldn't take long to decide to give him the honor.

That said, Bateman might have been able to make a case for co-offensive player options with his 6 catches, 177 yards and 2 TD day.

Man those two are fun to watch.

I think Morgan was Co-Offensive player of the week with the PSU QB.

When (if ever) have the Gophers ever had 2 POTWs in the same week?

Mason didn’t agree with the Co-offensive player of the week choice. He said he would have just given it to Tanner. He also said if he had to grade his season so far, it would be an A.

Tanner, on the other hand, downplayed it, and said he doesn’t care about these awards.

Mason didn’t agree with the Co-offensive player of the week choice. He said he would have just given it to Tanner. He also said if he had to grade his season so far, it would be an A.

Tanner, on the other hand, downplayed it, and said he doesn’t care about these awards.

Hot take: Tanner Morgan is the best player on the Gophers. He might be the best player in the Big Ten because he might be the best player at the most important position. He is statistically a direct peer to the top 4 Heisman candidates (passer rating, YPA) in spite of playing in a far more challenging situation.

If Morgan keeps this up all season (and I mean his stats overall, not just in the otherworldly game) he should be in the All-B1G conversation. When was the last time we had an All-B1G Quarterback? Not in my lifetime.

Hot take: Tanner Morgan is the best player on the Gophers. He might be the best player in the Big Ten because he might be the best player at the most important position. He is statistically a direct peer to the top 4 Heisman candidates (passer rating, YPA) in spite of playing in a far more challenging situation.

I'd say Morgan needs Bateman, Tyler and to a lesser extent, Autumn-Bell a lot more than those 3 need need Morgan.

I have faith that as long as we have Fleck and Ciarocca, we'll have solid/good QB play and they can develop anyone they take into into solid QB based on what they have done with Terrell and Morgan. With WR's on the other hand, I don't think they can take just take anybody and turn him into a Tyler Johnson or a Rashod Bateman, we are going to have to recruit well to keep getting guys like that. And I know Corey Davis was only a 2 star but he is more of an exception IMO.

I'd say Morgan needs Bateman, Tyler and to a lesser extent, Autumn-Bell a lot more than those 3 need need Morgan.

I have faith that as long as we have Fleck and Ciarocca, we'll have solid/good QB play and they can develop anyone they take into into solid QB based on what they have done with Terrell and Morgan. With WR's on the other hand, I don't think they can take just take anybody and turn him into a Tyler Johnson or a Rashod Bateman, we are going to have to recruit well to keep getting guys like that. And I know Corey Davis was only a 2 star but he is more of an exception IMO.

Tyler Johnson wasn’t Tyler Johnson until this staff came to town, so maybe they can. CAB is starting to look like a “Tyler Johnson,” and he still has two more years of eligibility after this one.

Bateman would have been what he has become at any decent P5 school, IMO. He’s in another league, as far as pure talent goes. He’s playing like a 5 star.

Tyler Johnson wasn’t Tyler Johnson until this staff came to town, so maybe they can. CAB is starting to look like a “Tyler Johnson,” and he still has two more years of eligibility after this one.

Bateman would have been what he has become at any decent P5 school. He’s in another league, as far as pure talent goes. He’s playing like a 5 star.

Tyler was a high 3 star recruit and was considered a very good athlete when we recruited him with an elite vertical jump. He had a grade of 89 on 247 and 5.7 on Rivals, the highest grade a non 4 star can get. It was a lot easier to imagine him developing into an All Big Ten and NFL guy than it was for Tanner Morgan or Zach Terrell. Autman-Bell is a solid player but definitely isn't the athlete that Tyler is and is slightly smaller as well. Tyler in his second year was a lot better than CAB in his second year and Tyler in his third year (last year) was a lot better than CAB is this year so far, his third year. Even after 2 more years of development, I can't see CAB going in the first 4 rounds due to his lack of athleticism and size.

Last edited:

^
I wasn’t trying to make the case that CAB is as good as Tyler, but he’s made a pretty big leap from last season. I wasn’t aware that he had the speed he showed on that TD against Purdue, or the athleticism to make the catch against Fresno. We don’t really know what he’s capable of, since he’s the third option behind two future NFL players. We’ll find out in the years to come.

Top Bottom