Karma - Gopher Style

Sparlimb

Reaction score
As a long time Gopher fan, I've seen us lose every which way. This year has been really refreshing. Probably need to recap...

1. South Dakota St. - Normally we're the team that fumbles away a game they are dominating late in the 2nd half and then watch as the other team takes the ball, drives down the field and scores the winning touchdown. This year that was us.

2. Fresno St. - Normally we're the team that bumbles in OT. Holds a team to a field goal and then can't score. If it had been a previous Gopher team, we'd have been like 4th and 25 on the last possession and couldn't have kicked a tying field goal.

3. Georgia Southern - Need I remind anyone of blowing games with blocked punts? Or awful turnovers at the wrong time. Or needing to convert on 3rd and forever and 4th down on a game winning drive?

4 Purdue - Normally when the opponent loses their best two players you are in good shape. But I can't tell you how many backup QBs have had career days against us.

So that makes 4 games in and 4 trends that have reversed themselves. I may just be starting to believe...

As a long time Gopher fan, I've seen us lose every which way. This year has been really refreshing. Probably need to recap...

1. South Dakota St. - Normally we're the team that fumbles away a game they are dominating late in the 2nd half and then watch as the other team takes the ball, drives down the field and scores the winning touchdown. This year that was us.

2. Fresno St. - Normally we're the team that bumbles in OT. Holds a team to a field goal and then can't score. If it had been a previous Gopher team, we'd have been like 4th and 25 on the last possession and couldn't have kicked a tying field goal.

3. Georgia Southern - Need I remind anyone of blowing games with blocked punts? Or awful turnovers at the wrong time. Or needing to convert on 3rd and forever and 4th down on a game winning drive?

4 Purdue - Normally when the opponent loses their best two players you are in good shape. But I can't tell you how many backup QBs have had career days against us.

So that makes 4 games in and 4 trends that have reversed themselves. I may just be starting to believe...

Not verbatim, but I have been telling friends and acquaintances exactly this. Spot on.

I’m right there with you. You are beginning to see the true foundations of what Fleck and Co are building. It takes 3-4 years to do it right and I think we are on the right path. There is still a ways to go though on both sides of the ball. The defense concerns me as does the offensive line, though I thought it was better Saturday. Each coming week will be huge in its own way, but we should not be looking forward past anything other than the coming game. Illinois took us to the woodshed last year. We can’t allow that to happen this year. I don’t care how we do it, and I don’t care what the final margin is, but we must win this next game. Stay focused on one game at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not verbatim, but I have been telling friends and acquaintances exactly this. Spot on.

My wife who is not a Gopher fan and was not at all familiar with our history until she married me 20 years ago. She flatly said after this latest win that 10 years ago we would have lost that game. I hope that we are learning how to win. I'm sure that when we do lose there will be plenty of people saying that we have been expose. That being said, I will take the close wins. Go Gophers!

Spot on, I’ve been saying this to all my pessimistic friends and even some family members. They all keep saying how “well we’ve barely beaten 4 bad teams so far”. And I keep having to remind them that virtually every season until now, we’d be 0-4 or maybe 1-3 right now. These have all been textbook situations where the Gophers of years past would make the perfect blunder to put the nail in their own coffins against FCS teams, or low level FBS teams. I mean we can talk about NDSU in 2011, South Dakota in 2010, NDSU again in one of the worst Gopher seasons ever of 2007. Drive-by casual Gopher fans don’t see just how bad things have been, and they can’t see why we have reasons to have optimism for the future.

Exactly why many of us wanted to move on from Glen.
This team and coach seem to find ways to win rather than fold, and when things are getting off track, they are not afraid to make bold moves - ask Robb Smith.

I'm still watching this team thinking, "The extended losing streak is still out there. Somewhere."

But, I will take the close wins all season!

Go Gophers!

I've been saying it since about game 2.

This team has some grit.

They dork up for sure, but they fight back in ways they never did in past years.

In many ways that is what PJ has said about mistakes and the up and down nature of getting better....

I've been saying it since about game 2.

This team has some grit.

They dork up for sure, but they fight back in ways they never did in past years.

In many ways that is what PJ has said about mistakes and the up and down nature of getting better....

Grit for sure. I feel confident that these guys will give it 110% effort to hold on to a lead or come back to take it. The team as a whole, has better composure under crap situations than I’ve ever seen a Gopher squad have.

Maybe it's already been posted but the team is 13-1 when leading at halftime under Fleck. I cannot recall any bad blown leads (but some close calls and late heroics for sure).

Maybe it's already been posted but the team is 13-1 when leading at halftime under Fleck. I cannot recall any bad blown leads (but some close calls and late heroics for sure).

It's interesting - as Face the Facts has posted, the majority of games during Fleck's first two years were either blowout wins or blowout losses. Now we're 4 games in to the 2019 season and all 4 games have been within one score - thankfully all victories!

Win or lose, it's usually excruciating to watch.

Would love some stress-free wins.

Top Bottom