Up Front: The OL vs. Purdue

Thanks for putting all these together Rock. Regarding Dunlap there’s nothing quite like the spectre of losing one’s job to help motivation. What is your preferred lineup going forward based on what you’re seeing so far (obviously data is limited this early in the season)?

Is 100% good? If so, JMS is good. I think what we're seeing here is not "giving players a breather." I think we may be a little tentative to replace some players on the line for a bunch of reasons, many of them perfectly legitimate. And I think JMS is one of our best 5. You've got 2 guys on the line who are potential first day type talents, but performing well below that. Do you keep playing them to develop their talent, or do you play your best 5. Tough call. Rotation seems like a nice compromise.

How are you getting the 90% and 90.1% grand averages for the team through Purdue? I must be doing something wrong.

This is the data I have:

rush_grades = [[89.2, 95.6, 91.2, 93.5],
[94.6, 88.9, 86.8, 92.9],
[87.4, 88.9, 86.8, 94.6],
[100.],
[82.9, 82.2, 85.1, 89.9],
[88.3, 97.8, 93.9, 88.2]]

pass_grades =[[75.8, 100., 85.7, 93.6],
[86.4, 97.0, 93.5, 98.6],
[97.0, 97.0, 89.7, 96.2],
[100.],
[85.7, 97.0, 83.3, 91.3],
[84.9, 75.8, 91.3, 91.]]

Are you taking the average of each player's average over the games, or the average over all the numbers? They would be the same, except now with Schmitz it gives different numbers. But I can't get it to come out like yours.

I'm using the raw numbers. The percentages you're using are based on different numbers of plays, so they're not all equal. I'll doublecheck my spreadsheet, 'cuz there's always a chance I could have screwed something up, but I think I'm right.

JTG

Is 100% good? If so, JMS is good. I think what we're seeing here is not "giving players a breather." I think we may be a little tentative to replace some players on the line for a bunch of reasons, many of them perfectly legitimate. And I think JMS is one of our best 5. You've got 2 guys on the line who are potential first day type talents, but performing well below that. Do you keep playing them to develop their talent, or do you play your best 5. Tough call. Rotation seems like a nice compromise.

Thanks for putting all these together Rock. Regarding Dunlap there’s nothing quite like the spectre of losing one’s job to help motivation. What is your preferred lineup going forward based on what you’re seeing so far (obviously data is limited this early in the season)?

Schmitz definitely looked like he belonged out there. At the same time, Dunlap had his best game of year, so I'd be hesitant to take his starting job away at this point. Confidence is important. (I doubt they were taking Andries off the field to give him a rest, even though PJ mentioned that; Andries never needed a break last year. I suspect that was a way of softening the blow to Dunlap, as well as creating flexibility with Olson.) So yeah, I'd absolutely maintain the rotation, using the same starting five.

Under normal circumstances, Schmitz probably would have gotten more than 16 plays last Saturday. At least one of the series he was out there for was a two-play scoring drive (long TD pass).

The only thing that seems a little hinky is using two different centers, 'cuz you'd think there would be a potential for screwups with the C-QB exchange. OTOH, how often do we have a QB under center? Seriously. I'm not sure. My focus has been elsewhere.

As we've mentioned, having Schmitz at C gives us the option of playing Olson at LG and moving Andries to a T spot, if the need should arise. I'm not suggesting we need to make a change at either T, but we obviously need a backup.

The biggest question I have now: Is Dickson ever gonna see the field?

JTG

That’s fine, I trust it.

But then, can you give me your team stats as they progressed over the 4 games, for the overall average line on the plots? Thanks!

Like you say, with all shotgun I think the exchange is less of an issue. So long as the snaps are there.

I like building the depth and flexibility. Olson is the man! If you wanna make a roster in the league, being able to play any position is huge.

And yes, we need reps for a 3rd tackle, one way or another. Whether that’s Andries, or Dickson.

I'm using the raw numbers. The percentages you're using are based on different numbers of plays, so they're not all equal. I'll doublecheck my spreadsheet, 'cuz there's always a chance I could have screwed something up, but I think I'm right.

Yep, the overall numbers I have are:

• 1,634 points on 605 rushing plays for an average of 2.7008 per play, or 90% on a three-point scale.

• 1,359 points on 503 passing plays for an average of 2.7017 per play, or 90.1%.

I give five scores for every play, so we're talking about 121 rushes and 101 passes. (I believe one of the passes was a two-point attempt when Schmitz was subbing for a dinged up Dunlap; I didn't score Schmitz on that one. Looks like I'm missing one player's score on one more pass, but I ain't gonna bother tracking that down ... unless it starts keeping me awake nights. :D)

JTG

That’s fine, I trust it.

But then, can you give me your team stats as they progressed over the 4 games, for the overall average line on the plots? Thanks!

I think it might make for a cleaner graph if we just use the season team average as the baseline; i.e., one straight line to show what the group's average performance has been throughout the season. Then we can see where each individual outperformed or underperformed the average.

Does that make sense?

OTOH, if you want to do another graph that shows the overall team scores for both rushing and passing, that might be cool, too.

Your call.

JTG

That’s fine, I trust it.

Hey MnplsGopher, you still got time for the graphic?

JTG

Here they are, I will use your updated team cumulative averages as the whole (flat) lines going forward, that is easy enough to do.

lrATX4c.png

nYKWLGC.png

Guys, this is cool. I think this project has turned into the most interesting thing on Gopherhole in 2019.

Here they are, I will use your updated team cumulative averages as the whole (flat) lines going forward, that is easy enough to do.

lrATX4c.png

nYKWLGC.png

Thank you! Man, these are really starting to tell a story.

• Easy to see that Schlueter has been among our most dependable run blockers. Pass blocking was his weakness last year, and was again in the opener. Since then, he's been closer to where we need him to be, and hopefully trending in the right direction.

• Andries is tough all around.

• Olson (adjusting to playing a somewhat "new" position this year) has probably been less formidable as a run blocker so far. OTOH, playing C he's rarely been challenged too heavily in pass blocking, so has superior numbers. Based on his performance last year, I expect his numbers to trend upward, especially if he starts seeing more time at G.

• Dunlap has struggled, especially against the run, but the trendlines appear to be positive.

• Faalele is solid on the run, but not as good as he can be on the pass.

• Schmitz made a hell of a debut, even if it was for only 16 plays.

Nice work, MnplsGopher!

JTG

So Rock and MnplsGopher, what do you guys do in your spare time? ;)

Top Bottom