Up Front: The OL vs. Purdue

rockford

Reaction score
Well, now. That's more like it. For the most part.

Let's take a look at the OL's first-quarter numbers, then break down a few things.

RER - Rushing
Schlueter (9) 92.6%
Andries (8) 91.7%
Olson (9) 100%
Schmitz (1) 100%
Dunlap (9) 96.3%
Faalele (9) 95.8%

RER - Passing
Schlueter (6) 88.9%
Andries (5) 100%
Olson (6) 94.4%
Schmitz (1) 100%
Dunlap (6) 88.9%
Faalele (6) 94.4%

Since it now appears we're using a rotation (of sorts) on the OL, I've included the number of plays the percentages are derived from in parentheses.

I didn't catch it in real time (and the TV announcers never caught it at all), but we began rotating Schmitz into the OL mix right away in the first quarter. I noticed it later in the game, and wondered if it was planned or if Dunlap was dinged up a bit. But the fact they started working Schmitz in during the first quarter probably indicates it was pre-planned.

A couple interesting plays from the game-opening drive:

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KZA9mKLxZKpE7BIxn4" width="480" height="250" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/gopher-football-KZA9mKLxZKpE7BIxn4">via GIPHY</a></p>

It's seldom we "pull" a lineman, but we used Andries to good effect in that capacity on first-and-goal. The rest of the OL (and TEs Paulson and Kieft) also block well, but this is a good example that when you're outnumbered it's hard to open a clean hole. Purdue only has seven in the box initially, but both safeties come up quick in run support, leaving our wide receivers singled up. Still, we managed two yards on a run that could have gone nowhere.

And below is the drive-capping TD run on the direct snap to RB Smith, with QB Green getting a nice kick-out block to clear the way.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/U6RNzPMaBilrYCwNWX" width="480" height="272" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/gopher-football-U6RNzPMaBilrYCwNWX">via GIPHY</a></p>

A few other notes on the first quarter:

• I've remarked before that it's surprising we don't get more "ineligible receiver" calls on RPO action, because we tend to block those aggressively, as if it's a straight-up run. Well, we get flagged for it on the second play of the game ... and it was a total BS call. Olson made contact with a LB one yard off the LOS, took him back about two yards, and then the LB took off downfield when the ball was thrown. Olson was still within three yards of the LOS, which is legal. (And I believe it would be legal to be more than three yards off the line if contact is made within three of the LOS and maintained, anyway.)

• When we get stuffed on 3rd-and-2 on our second possession, it was a clear case of being outnumbered 7-to-6. Every offensive lineman executed his block (and apparently according to plan), but the untouched LB made the tackle for loss. In retrospect, would have been a great play to audible out of.

• I've long maintained that broadcast media should be forced to read transcripts of themselves, so they're fully aware of the inane things they say. In this case it was the play-by-play guy talking about Purdue defending "in the shadow of their own goalline." First of all, dipstick, goallines don't cast shadows. They're flat. The expression, which was hackneyed and worn out back when Damon Runyon was first starting out, is "shadow of their own goal post." And it should never be used again.

More later.

JTG

Agree, nice work. Good used of the vid clips for illustration as well.

Great Rockford. You, DanielHouse, and a few others make GopherHole also GophersFBU for online homework.

I feel better after your analysis. Thank you.

Like your work except I disagree with your analysis of Schlueter. Every time I looked, he was chasing his man. There has to be someone better particularly at left tackle.

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words.

Like your work except I disagree with your analysis of Schlueter. Every time I looked, he was chasing his man. There has to be someone better particularly at left tackle.

Pete, I'm afraid we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, to a certain extent. Looking at the first half, we ran 18 passes. Schlueter was substandard on four of those plays, and only seriously flawed on one. You could say pretty much the same thing about Faalele.

Is there room for improvement? You betcha. I think we've already seen some. And Schlueter has been a very strong run blocker. So who would you throw in there that would be an improvement? As far as we know, Schlueter must be head and shoulders above Dickson, 'cuz the latter hasn't seen the field yet.

Meanwhile, after Dunlap's less-than-solid debut as a starter, we're starting to see Schmitz get some playing time. Schmitz saw six plays in the first half, and looked solid on all of them. He even displayed a bit of a mean streak, which I find quite endearing in a lineman. Hopefully the trend continues. I like depth, and Schmitz getting on the field is likely to motivate Dunlap, who had a fairly solid first half (except for an egregious whiff while attempting to run block a DT).

Would I like to see what Dickson has? Yep. Even if he's not an improvement over Schlueter, depth is a good thing, and you have to have experience before you can claim to have depth. But I'm less leery about Schlueter than I was 4-5 weeks ago.

Second quarter RER:

Rushing
Schlueter (5) 100%
Andries (5) 100%
Olson (5) 73.3%
Schmitz (2) 100%
Dunlap (3) 66.7%
Faalele (5) 66.7%

Passing
Schlueter (12) 91.7%
Andries (12) 100%
Olson (12) 97.2%
Schmitz (2) 100%
Dunlap (10) 90%
Faalele (12) 91.7%

Let's look at one play, which ended in a sack of Morgan.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/US0qsemwCQenVVXFJU" width="480" height="290" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/gopher-football-US0qsemwCQenVVXFJU">via GIPHY</a></p>

It looks like Purdue is twisting both pairs of DE-DT (although it's more obvious at the bottom of the screen). For the most part, we pick it up pretty well, a considerable improvement over the first couple games. I timed it at somewhere between 3.3 and 3.6 seconds before Morgan was flushed, so you can hardly lay this one at the feet of the OL.

On the other hand, if both Faalele and Dunlap had kept moving their feet, there may have been a more favorable result to this play. Dunlap was flagged for a hold on this one, although the penalty was declined. The DE he was working against does make a pretty amazing pivot, which leads me to believe Dunlap had a good hold on his jersey, but I would have liked to get a different look at this one. At any rate, if Dunlap keeps moving his feet, keeps pushing, that DE is gonna end up far out of the play.

At the same time, Faalele seems too passive. He drops back and gets position. But when the DT loops out, Faalele should have popped him instead of taking another step back into Morgan's lap. Faalele may not be able to do that against a quick DE, but against an upright DT there's no reason not to jab him in the chest and chill him.

All in all, a fun first half.

JTG

Some good improvment, but yeah still work to do.

IIRC I saw a few near total wiffs (ok he touched the guy, but not more than I could have...) on blocks on pass protection.

Rockford, appreciate these as well. In your first Gif where Seth Green kept it, I love Falaale's block of the linebacker. Unfortunately he threw him down right at Green's feet and he tripped on him.

Big Dan using retreat blocking on that one.

...It looks like Purdue is twisting both pairs of DE-DT (although it's more obvious at the bottom of the screen). For the most part, we pick it up pretty well, a considerable improvement over the first couple games. I timed it at somewhere between 3.3 and 3.6 seconds before Morgan was flushed, so you can hardly lay this one at the feet of the OL.

JTG

Man, you know how much I would love to see some quick hitting power-type blocking run right at these twists once in a while? It could blow it right open. I know that's not in the Gophs wheelhouse, but I can hope.

Pete, I'm afraid we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, to a certain extent. Looking at the first half, we ran 18 passes. Schlueter was substandard on four of those plays, and only seriously flawed on one. You could say pretty much the same thing about Faalele.

Is there room for improvement? You betcha. I think we've already seen some. And Schlueter has been a very strong run blocker. So who would you throw in there that would be an improvement? As far as we know, Schlueter must be head and shoulders above Dickson, 'cuz the latter hasn't seen the field yet.

Meanwhile, after Dunlap's less-than-solid debut as a starter, we're starting to see Schmitz get some playing time. Schmitz saw six plays in the first half, and looked solid on all of them. He even displayed a bit of a mean streak, which I find quite endearing in a lineman. Hopefully the trend continues. I like depth, and Schmitz getting on the field is likely to motivate Dunlap, who had a fairly solid first half (except for an egregious whiff while attempting to run block a DT).

Would I like to see what Dickson has? Yep. Even if he's not an improvement over Schlueter, depth is a good thing, and you have to have experience before you can claim to have depth. But I'm less leery about Schlueter than I was 4-5 weeks ago.

Second quarter RER:

Rushing
Schlueter (5) 100%
Andries (5) 100%
Olson (5) 73.3%
Schmitz (2) 100%
Dunlap (3) 66.7%
Faalele (5) 66.7%

Passing
Schlueter (12) 91.7%
Andries (12) 100%
Olson (12) 97.2%
Schmitz (2) 100%
Dunlap (10) 90%
Faalele (12) 91.7%

Let's look at one play, which ended in a sack of Morgan.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/US0qsemwCQenVVXFJU" width="480" height="290" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/gopher-football-US0qsemwCQenVVXFJU">via GIPHY</a></p>

It looks like Purdue is twisting both pairs of DE-DT (although it's more obvious at the bottom of the screen). For the most part, we pick it up pretty well, a considerable improvement over the first couple games. I timed it at somewhere between 3.3 and 3.6 seconds before Morgan was flushed, so you can hardly lay this one at the feet of the OL.

On the other hand, if both Faalele and Dunlap had kept moving their feet, there may have been a more favorable result to this play. Dunlap was flagged for a hold on this one, although the penalty was declined. The DE he was working against does make a pretty amazing pivot, which leads me to believe Dunlap had a good hold on his jersey, but I would have liked to get a different look at this one. At any rate, if Dunlap keeps moving his feet, keeps pushing, that DE is gonna end up far out of the play.

At the same time, Faalele seems too passive. He drops back and gets position. But when the DT loops out, Faalele should have popped him instead of taking another step back into Morgan's lap. Faalele may not be able to do that against a quick DE, but against an upright DT there's no reason not to jab him in the chest and chill him.

All in all, a fun first half.

JTG

Really excited to read that Schmitz did so well! That can only mean good things for our line play going forward.

Rockford, appreciate these as well. In your first Gif where Seth Green kept it, I love Falaale's block of the linebacker. Unfortunately he threw him down right at Green's feet and he tripped on him.

Thanks for pointing that out! Nice work by Faalele. Stood the guy straight up, then put him to bed. But yeah, the debris ended up clogging the hole.

JTG

Man, you know how much I would love to see some quick hitting power-type blocking run right at these twists once in a while? It could blow it right open. I know that's not in the Gophs wheelhouse, but I can hope.

You gotta think we're going to see something like that eventually. Or maybe a little bit more off tackle, as both Faalele and Schlueter can be devastating when they crash down. There was a play in the first half where Schlueter blocked down on the tackle and took him a good 8-10 feet inside.

JTG

Not a whole lot to report in the third quarter, but a few interesting plays to look at.

First of all, here's a sack you may have blamed on Schlueter if you had been busy scarfing wings, swillin' a cold one or shooting a dirty look at your wife/significant other.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/l3NzIRwdIkVgrbvaPA" width="480" height="232" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/gopher-football-l3NzIRwdIkVgrbvaPA">via GIPHY</a></p>

The breakdown obviously belongs to Kieft, who is normally pretty solid. But he was left singled up with the outside rusher, and it didn't end well for us. I've seen us run this scheme before, and Schlueter obviously is charged with driving inside, which doesn't leave him in good shape for helping Kieft.

Now let's look at the last two plays of the quarter for some positivity, smashmouth style.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/STwGhmhzEDY0nsijyU" width="480" height="248" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/gopher-football-STwGhmhzEDY0nsijyU">via GIPHY</a></p>

I tend to rave about #80 TE Paulson's blocking, and this is a good example. Dude drills that LB, although I've seen even better shots dished out by him this year. Beyond that, check out the nice teamwork from Olson and Schmitz, with Schmitz hunting for a second hit. Also gotta like #7 Autman-Bell hustling in for a downfield block.

And on the next play, we're just pushin' everybody around.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/kgCIKLLEEbGZajVVkb" width="480" height="248" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/gopher-football-kgCIKLLEEbGZajVVkb">via GIPHY</a></p>

Another nice block from Paulson after coming in motion. Some feistyness from Schmitz. Andries driving some guy into the ground. Kinda chokes me up.

For the quarter:

Rushing
Schlueter (9) 92.6%
Andries (7) 100%
Olson (9) 100%
Schmitz (5) 100%
Dunal (6) 94.4%
Faalele (9) 92.6%

Passing

Schlueter (4) 100%
Andries (3) 88.9%
Olson (4) 91.7%
Schmitz (1) 100%
Dunlap (4) 91.7%
Faalele (4) 83.3%

JTG

Great stuff, rockford!

Good stuff Rockford. When I read reports like and also from Daniel House, I wished I knew what the coaches would write if they were on this board. Hoping they would have the same thoughts and more.

Awesome insight. Thanks for the effort. Good to see improvement and added depth. As you say Dickson getting time would help later in the season. They have the talent , just need to keep developing as a unit.

Good stuff Rockford. When I read reports like and also from Daniel House, I wished I knew what the coaches would write if they were on this board. Hoping they would have the same thoughts and more.

Yep. You and Daniel really up the quality of GH. Thanks.

Great news to see Schmitz play and play well. That will be important down the road for sure. Wouldn't be a terrible thing if they started working in one more guy periodically, at least if they ever find themselves in more mop-up duty (wouldn't that be nice for a change?)

Thanks, everyone. I really enjoy doing this, but it takes a fair amount of time. So knowing that it's appreciated makes all the difference.

Great news to see Schmitz play and play well. That will be important down the road for sure. Wouldn't be a terrible thing if they started working in one more guy periodically, at least if they ever find themselves in more mop-up duty (wouldn't that be nice for a change?)

Exactly! I've been really happy with how Schmitz has looked through the first three quarters. It will be hard to judge until we see him in 2-3 games, but I certainly get the feeling the young man from Illinois belongs out there.

OTOH, I'm a little surprised they're taking Andries off the field to give Schmitz playing time, since Marshall's finest has probably been the steadiest lineman so far this year. But that's a very tiny quibble. Small price to pay if we end up with another guy we can trust out there.

And like you said, you have to hope there's a third tackle they can throw some reps to. Or maybe that's what they'll do with Andries, if necessary, with Schmitz at C and Olson at G.

Depth, man! Wouldn't that be sweet?

OK, time to get goin' on the final chapter.

JTG

OTOH, I'm a little surprised they're taking Andries off the field to give Schmitz playing time, since Marshall's finest has probably been the steadiest lineman so far this year.

I thought they were taking out Dunlap and sliding Olson over to RG?

Edit: And now I see, at least on the GIF you shared earlier, the one where Morgan was sacked, that Andries was out and Olson was playing LG.

I'm baffled as well. Anyone who follows rockford's RER analysis each week could tell you that, thus far in the season, Dunlap is the one you would want to take out and slide Olson over to RG (which he is completely capable of playing).

Makes you wonder if other factors are in play.

rockford I'll happily update the graphics once you post the final game stats. Thanks again for doing this awesome work!!! People really care about the performance of our OL. It's so critical to the team, and yet it's a very difficult position for most fans to understand and get a sense of how they're doing. This is great work!

I'm baffled as well. Anyone who follows rockford's RER analysis each week could tell you that, thus far in the season, Dunlap is the one you would want to take out and slide Olson over to RG (which he is completely capable of playing).

Makes you wonder if other factors are in play.

rockford I'll happily update the graphics once you post the final game stats. Thanks again for doing this awesome work!!! People really care about the performance of our OL. It's so critical to the team, and yet it's a very difficult position for most fans to understand and get a sense of how they're doing. This is great work!

Thanks, MnplsGopher! I was hoping you'd pop in and update the graphics. They're a great help in visualizing the data.

Gonna try to get this wrapped up today, or at least tonight.

Regarding the rotation: The fact they're taking Andries and Olson off the field may indicate this is just as much about building depth as it is any disappointment they have in Dunlap's performance. And with Andries showing he's capable of playing LT in the bowl game last year, this may give them all the depth they need. (Although I'm certainly curious as to what Dickson might bring to the table.)

JTG

Probably the most interesting thing about the fourth quarter is that after Purdue had pulled to within a TD, and we absolutely, positively had to sustain a drive and hold onto the ball ... Dunlap was part of the OL we sent onto the field.

How much can we infer from that? Well, Schmitz turned in a flawless performance (albeit over only 17 plays) in his first extended action. But when the chips were down, we went with Dunlap, despite the early-season struggles we've documented.

Was that a bad decision? No, I don't think so, because Dunlap responded very well in crunch time. Beyond that, it may indicate we shouldn't expect any changes in the starting lineup this week.

Fourth quarter RER:

Rushing:
Schlueter (8) 91.7%
Andries (8) 83.3%
Olson (8) 95.8%
Schmitz (3) 100%
Dunlap (5) 86.7%
Faalele (8) 87.5%

Passing:
Schlueter (4) 100%
Andries (4) 100%
Olson (4) 100%
Schmitz (1) 100%
Dunlap (3) 100%
Faalele (4) 91.7%

Let's look at a few plays:

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/Pmj000i7Q5OoYcV68r" width="480" height="240" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/gopher-football-Pmj000i7Q5OoYcV68r">via GIPHY</a></p>

This was a crucial down late in the game, when we needed to hold onto the ball. Where do we go? Behind Faalele. What does Big Daddy do? Gets totally freakin' abused. Comes out too high and gets discarded like a used napkin. The play is a success only because of the blocking of TEs Paulson and Kieft, and RB Smith's willingness to put his head down and get the yardage we needed.

I included this play because one of the disappointments regarding the OL this year is the fact that Faalele has not seemed to progress from his performance as a freshman. This was a crucial play, and Faalele didn't show up.

I've always thought football -- especially in the trenches -- is a game that requires both physical and mental toughness. Doesn't matter how damn big you are if you play small and timid, or fail to execute properly. Faalele is guilty of both sins here. Yeah, announcers swoon over him, because that's what announcers do, but it's time Big Dan takes the next step. From his first game as a starter to today, I get the impression he requires constant motivation. He needs to realize that motivation must come from within.

And now for some positivity:

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/LSuIQoJ5IHPdsUBuTe" width="480" height="288" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/LSuIQoJ5IHPdsUBuTe">via GIPHY</a></p>

Since Dunlap gets a fair amount of criticism, let's take a good look at this play. I've noted before he's been totally ineffectual when attacking the second level. Not this time. Dude gets a bump on the DL, then slides off and picks up the LB and drives him with authority. Beautiful play, and hopefully a sign of what's to come from him. And you gotta like that little bounce in his step at the end of the play. To me, that says, "Bring it on, loser," which I love in a lineman.

And now, getting back to what I said earlier about mental toughness, let's take a look at Paulson (#80, lined up as a flanker next to Faalele):

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KBb5hBpHY2A5BzPCGr" width="480" height="346" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/gopher-football-KBb5hBpHY2A5BzPCGr">via GIPHY</a></p>

Paulson drives his man four yards downfield, turns around and drives him four yards upfield, then puts him on the ground and lands on him. Now that's a block. Keep in mind that this was the play that sealed the victory.

Hang tight. Game totals coming shortly.

JTG

Last edited:

...Paulson drives his man four yards downfield, turns around and drives him four yards upfield, then puts him on the ground and lands on him. Now that's a block. Keep in mind that this was the play that sealed the victory.

Hang tight. Game totals coming shortly.

JTG

Paulson really kicked his guy's ass on that play. There's no less vulgar way to say it.

On that last play as Schluetter does a nice job of sealing off his guy away from the play, he heads to the rugby scrum and gets pushed from the side/behind by Purdue's number 90. Loved the way the line got this big push to seal the win.

This was far and away the best performance we've seen from the OL.

Team RER:
Rushing (31 plays) 92.5%
Passing (26 plays) 94.4%

Going into the game, our season numbers were 89.2% rushing and 88.6% passing, so this was a sizeable improvement.

(My play totals won't necessarily jibe with official numbers, because I include plays that were negated by penalties. I'm trying to measure overall acumen, so those plays still count in my book.)

Rushing
Schlueter (31) 93.5%
Andries (28) 92.9%
Olson (31) 94.6%
Schmitz (11) 100%
Dunlap (23) 89.9%
Faalele (31) 88.2%

Passing
Schlueter (26) 93.6%
Andries (24) 98.6%
Olson (26) 96.2%
Schmitz (5) 100%
Dunlap (23) 91.3%
Faalele (26) 91%

(@Mnpls Gopher, the season baseline is now 90% for rushing and 90.1% for passing.)

Schmitz's playing time came primarily at the expense of Dunlap, who sat out 11 plays. Andries sat out five plays.

Judging from PJ's comments at the presser, we'll continue to see the rotation, which I think is a good thing. As we've said earlier, it's always important to build depth. Secondly, there doesn't appear to be any falloff when Schmitz is in there. Finally, Dunlap may have been motivated a bit by the change, because he probably turned in his best performance of the season.

One last thing to look at, and that's P3. These are the percentage of plays each player performed without a demerit.

Rushing
Schlueter 26-31 83.9%
Andries 23-28 82.1%
Olson 27-31 87.1%
Schmitz 11-11 100%
Dunlap 19-23 82.6%
Faalele 25-31 80.6%

Passing
Schlueter 22-26 84.6%
Andries 23-24 95.8%
Olson 23-26 88.5%
Schmitz 5-5 100%
Dunlap 19-23 82.6%
Faalele 21-26 80.8%

This is a new metric I just started calculating last week, and I don't know yet whether it's telling us anything meaningfully different or not. We'll give it a few more weeks.

JTG

Paulson really kicked his guy's ass on that play. There's no less vulgar way to say it.

You're right. No other way to put it.

I wish I had figured out the Giphy thing earlier in the year. Remember that LB SDSU had, the guy with the long hair? By all accounts, that kid is a quality football player who may play on Sundays, and he had a good game against us. But early in the game Paulson came out and walloped him and put him right over on his back.

If somebody can point me to a full broadcast of that game, I'll find it and post it, 'cuz it's my favorite hit of the year ... so far.

JTG

With all the attention on the Dunlop, Andries is is a waist bender not knee bender causing him problems. I can see why he is taken out some times. Schmitt needs to be out their and Dunlop and Andries battle for one guard spot.

This was far and away the best performance we've seen from the OL.

Team RER:
Rushing (31 plays) 92.5%
Passing (26 plays) 94.4%

Going into the game, our season numbers were 89.2% rushing and 88.6% passing, so this was a sizeable improvement.

(My play totals won't necessarily jibe with official numbers, because I include plays that were negated by penalties. I'm trying to measure overall acumen, so those plays still count in my book.)

Rushing
Schlueter (31) 93.5%
Andries (28) 92.9%
Olson (31) 94.6%
Schmitz (11) 100%
Dunlap (23) 89.9%
Faalele (31) 88.2%

Passing
Schlueter (26) 93.6%
Andries (24) 98.6%
Olson (26) 96.2%
Schmitz (5) 100%
Dunlap (23) 91.3%
Faalele (26) 91%

(@Mnpls Gopher, the season baseline is now 90% for rushing and 90.1% for passing.)

Schmitz's playing time came primarily at the expense of Dunlap, who sat out 11 plays. Andries sat out five plays.

Judging from PJ's comments at the presser, we'll continue to see the rotation, which I think is a good thing. As we've said earlier, it's always important to build depth. Secondly, there doesn't appear to be any falloff when Schmitz is in there. Finally, Dunlap may have been motivated a bit by the change, because he probably turned in his best performance of the season.

One last thing to look at, and that's P3. These are the percentage of plays each player performed without a demerit.

Rushing
Schlueter 26-31 83.9%
Andries 23-28 82.1%
Olson 27-31 87.1%
Schmitz 11-11 100%
Dunlap 19-23 82.6%
Faalele 25-31 80.6%

Passing
Schlueter 22-26 84.6%
Andries 23-24 95.8%
Olson 23-26 88.5%
Schmitz 5-5 100%
Dunlap 19-23 82.6%
Faalele 21-26 80.8%

This is a new metric I just started calculating last week, and I don't know yet whether it's telling us anything meaningfully different or not. We'll give it a few more weeks.

JTG

How are you getting the 90% and 90.1% grand averages for the team through Purdue? I must be doing something wrong.

This is the data I have:

rush_grades = [[89.2, 95.6, 91.2, 93.5],
[94.6, 88.9, 86.8, 92.9],
[87.4, 88.9, 86.8, 94.6],
[100.],
[82.9, 82.2, 85.1, 89.9],
[88.3, 97.8, 93.9, 88.2]]

pass_grades =[[75.8, 100., 85.7, 93.6],
[86.4, 97.0, 93.5, 98.6],
[97.0, 97.0, 89.7, 96.2],
[100.],
[85.7, 97.0, 83.3, 91.3],
[84.9, 75.8, 91.3, 91.]]

Are you taking the average of each player's average over the games, or the average over all the numbers? They would be the same, except now with Schmitz it gives different numbers. But I can't get it to come out like yours.

Top Bottom