Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Good stuff Rockford. When I read reports like and also from Daniel House, I wished I knew what the coaches would write if they were on this board. Hoping they would have the same thoughts and more.

Awesome insight. Thanks for the effort. Good to see improvement and added depth. As you say Dickson getting time would help later in the season. They have the talent , just need to keep developing as a unit.

Quote Originally Posted by #2Gopher View Post
    Good stuff Rockford. When I read reports like and also from Daniel House, I wished I knew what the coaches would write if they were on this board. Hoping they would have the same thoughts and more.
    Yep. You and Daniel really up the quality of GH. Thanks.

Great news to see Schmitz play and play well. That will be important down the road for sure. Wouldn't be a terrible thing if they started working in one more guy periodically, at least if they ever find themselves in more mop-up duty (wouldn't that be nice for a change?)
    - Respect is the ultimate currency

Thanks, everyone. I really enjoy doing this, but it takes a fair amount of time. So knowing that it's appreciated makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogee Oglethorpe View Post
    Great news to see Schmitz play and play well. That will be important down the road for sure. Wouldn't be a terrible thing if they started working in one more guy periodically, at least if they ever find themselves in more mop-up duty (wouldn't that be nice for a change?)
    Exactly! I've been really happy with how Schmitz has looked through the first three quarters. It will be hard to judge until we see him in 2-3 games, but I certainly get the feeling the young man from Illinois belongs out there.

OTOH, I'm a little surprised they're taking Andries off the field to give Schmitz playing time, since Marshall's finest has probably been the steadiest lineman so far this year. But that's a very tiny quibble. Small price to pay if we end up with another guy we can trust out there.

And like you said, you have to hope there's a third tackle they can throw some reps to. Or maybe that's what they'll do with Andries, if necessary, with Schmitz at C and Olson at G.

Depth, man! Wouldn't that be sweet?

OK, time to get goin' on the final chapter.

JTG

Quote Originally Posted by rockford View Post
    OTOH, I'm a little surprised they're taking Andries off the field to give Schmitz playing time, since Marshall's finest has probably been the steadiest lineman so far this year.
    I thought they were taking out Dunlap and sliding Olson over to RG?

Edit: And now I see, at least on the GIF you shared earlier, the one where Morgan was sacked, that Andries was out and Olson was playing LG.

I'm baffled as well. Anyone who follows rockford's RER analysis each week could tell you that, thus far in the season, Dunlap is the one you would want to take out and slide Olson over to RG (which he is completely capable of playing).

Makes you wonder if other factors are in play.

rockford I'll happily update the graphics once you post the final game stats. Thanks again for doing this awesome work!!! People really care about the performance of our OL. It's so critical to the team, and yet it's a very difficult position for most fans to understand and get a sense of how they're doing. This is great work!

Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    I'm baffled as well. Anyone who follows rockford's RER analysis each week could tell you that, thus far in the season, Dunlap is the one you would want to take out and slide Olson over to RG (which he is completely capable of playing).

Makes you wonder if other factors are in play.

rockford I'll happily update the graphics once you post the final game stats. Thanks again for doing this awesome work!!! People really care about the performance of our OL. It's so critical to the team, and yet it's a very difficult position for most fans to understand and get a sense of how they're doing. This is great work!
    Thanks, MnplsGopher! I was hoping you'd pop in and update the graphics. They're a great help in visualizing the data.

Gonna try to get this wrapped up today, or at least tonight.

Regarding the rotation: The fact they're taking Andries and Olson off the field may indicate this is just as much about building depth as it is any disappointment they have in Dunlap's performance. And with Andries showing he's capable of playing LT in the bowl game last year, this may give them all the depth they need. (Although I'm certainly curious as to what Dickson might bring to the table.)

JTG

Probably the most interesting thing about the fourth quarter is that after Purdue had pulled to within a TD, and we absolutely, positively had to sustain a drive and hold onto the ball ... Dunlap was part of the OL we sent onto the field.

How much can we infer from that? Well, Schmitz turned in a flawless performance (albeit over only 17 plays) in his first extended action. But when the chips were down, we went with Dunlap, despite the early-season struggles we've documented.

Was that a bad decision? No, I don't think so, because Dunlap responded very well in crunch time. Beyond that, it may indicate we shouldn't expect any changes in the starting lineup this week.

Fourth quarter RER:

Rushing:
    Schlueter (8) 91.7%
    Andries (8) 83.3%
    Olson (8) 95.8%
    Schmitz (3) 100%
    Dunlap (5) 86.7%
    Faalele (8) 87.5%

Passing:
    Schlueter (4) 100%
    Andries (4) 100%
    Olson (4) 100%
    Schmitz (1) 100%
    Dunlap (3) 100%
    Faalele (4) 91.7%

Let's look at a few plays:

via GIPHY

This was a crucial down late in the game, when we needed to hold onto the ball. Where do we go? Behind Faalele. What does Big Daddy do? Gets totally freakin' abused. Comes out too high and gets discarded like a used napkin. The play is a success only because of the blocking of TEs Paulson and Kieft, and RB Smith's willingness to put his head down and get the yardage we needed.

I included this play because one of the disappointments regarding the OL this year is the fact that Faalele has not seemed to progress from his performance as a freshman. This was a crucial play, and Faalele didn't show up.

I've always thought football -- especially in the trenches -- is a game that requires both physical and mental toughness. Doesn't matter how damn big you are if you play small and timid, or fail to execute properly. Faalele is guilty of both sins here. Yeah, announcers swoon over him, because that's what announcers do, but it's time Big Dan takes the next step. From his first game as a starter to today, I get the impression he requires constant motivation. He needs to realize that motivation must come from within.

And now for some positivity:

via GIPHY

Since Dunlap gets a fair amount of criticism, let's take a good look at this play. I've noted before he's been totally ineffectual when attacking the second level. Not this time. Dude gets a bump on the DL, then slides off and picks up the LB and drives him with authority. Beautiful play, and hopefully a sign of what's to come from him. And you gotta like that little bounce in his step at the end of the play. To me, that says, "Bring it on, loser," which I love in a lineman.

And now, getting back to what I said earlier about mental toughness, let's take a look at Paulson (#80, lined up as a flanker next to Faalele):

via GIPHY

Paulson drives his man four yards downfield, turns around and drives him four yards upfield, then puts him on the ground and lands on him. Now that's a block. Keep in mind that this was the play that sealed the victory.

Hang tight. Game totals coming shortly.

JTG
    Last edited by rockford; 10-01-2019 at 03:16 PM.

...Paulson drives his man four yards downfield, turns around and drives him four yards upfield, then puts him on the ground and lands on him. Now that's a block. Keep in mind that this was the play that sealed the victory.

Hang tight. Game totals coming shortly.

JTG
    Paulson really kicked his guy's ass on that play. There's no less vulgar way to say it.

On that last play as Schluetter does a nice job of sealing off his guy away from the play, he heads to the rugby scrum and gets pushed from the side/behind by Purdue's number 90. Loved the way the line got this big push to seal the win.

This was far and away the best performance we've seen from the OL.

Team RER:
    Rushing (31 plays) 92.5%
    Passing (26 plays) 94.4%

Going into the game, our season numbers were 89.2% rushing and 88.6% passing, so this was a sizeable improvement.

(My play totals won't necessarily jibe with official numbers, because I include plays that were negated by penalties. I'm trying to measure overall acumen, so those plays still count in my book.)

Rushing
    Schlueter (31) 93.5%
    Andries (28) 92.9%
    Olson (31) 94.6%
    Schmitz (11) 100%
    Dunlap (23) 89.9%
    Faalele (31) 88.2%

Passing
    Schlueter (26) 93.6%
    Andries (24) 98.6%
    Olson (26) 96.2%
    Schmitz (5) 100%
    Dunlap (23) 91.3%
    Faalele (26) 91%

(@Mnpls Gopher, the season baseline is now 90% for rushing and 90.1% for passing.)

Schmitz's playing time came primarily at the expense of Dunlap, who sat out 11 plays. Andries sat out five plays.

Judging from PJ's comments at the presser, we'll continue to see the rotation, which I think is a good thing. As we've said earlier, it's always important to build depth. Secondly, there doesn't appear to be any falloff when Schmitz is in there. Finally, Dunlap may have been motivated a bit by the change, because he probably turned in his best performance of the season.

One last thing to look at, and that's P3. These are the percentage of plays each player performed without a demerit.

Rushing
    Schlueter 26-31 83.9%
    Andries 23-28 82.1%
    Olson 27-31 87.1%
    Schmitz 11-11 100%
    Dunlap 19-23 82.6%
    Faalele 25-31 80.6%

Passing
    Schlueter 22-26 84.6%
    Andries 23-24 95.8%
    Olson 23-26 88.5%
    Schmitz 5-5 100%
    Dunlap 19-23 82.6%
    Faalele 21-26 80.8%

This is a new metric I just started calculating last week, and I don't know yet whether it's telling us anything meaningfully different or not. We'll give it a few more weeks.

JTG

Quote Originally Posted by Panthadad2 View Post
    Paulson really kicked his guy's ass on that play. There's no less vulgar way to say it.
    You're right. No other way to put it.

I wish I had figured out the Giphy thing earlier in the year. Remember that LB SDSU had, the guy with the long hair? By all accounts, that kid is a quality football player who may play on Sundays, and he had a good game against us. But early in the game Paulson came out and walloped him and put him right over on his back.

If somebody can point me to a full broadcast of that game, I'll find it and post it, 'cuz it's my favorite hit of the year ... so far.

JTG

With all the attention on the Dunlop, Andries is is a waist bender not knee bender causing him problems. I can see why he is taken out some times. Schmitt needs to be out their and Dunlop and Andries battle for one guard spot.

This was far and away the best performance we've seen from the OL.

Team RER:
    Rushing (31 plays) 92.5%
    Passing (26 plays) 94.4%

Going into the game, our season numbers were 89.2% rushing and 88.6% passing, so this was a sizeable improvement.

(My play totals won't necessarily jibe with official numbers, because I include plays that were negated by penalties. I'm trying to measure overall acumen, so those plays still count in my book.)

Rushing
    Schlueter (31) 93.5%
    Andries (28) 92.9%
    Olson (31) 94.6%
    Schmitz (11) 100%
    Dunlap (23) 89.9%
    Faalele (31) 88.2%

Passing
    Schlueter (26) 93.6%
    Andries (24) 98.6%
    Olson (26) 96.2%
    Schmitz (5) 100%
    Dunlap (23) 91.3%
    Faalele (26) 91%

(@Mnpls Gopher, the season baseline is now 90% for rushing and 90.1% for passing.)

Schmitz's playing time came primarily at the expense of Dunlap, who sat out 11 plays. Andries sat out five plays.

Judging from PJ's comments at the presser, we'll continue to see the rotation, which I think is a good thing. As we've said earlier, it's always important to build depth. Secondly, there doesn't appear to be any falloff when Schmitz is in there. Finally, Dunlap may have been motivated a bit by the change, because he probably turned in his best performance of the season.

One last thing to look at, and that's P3. These are the percentage of plays each player performed without a demerit.

Rushing
    Schlueter 26-31 83.9%
    Andries 23-28 82.1%
    Olson 27-31 87.1%
    Schmitz 11-11 100%
    Dunlap 19-23 82.6%
    Faalele 25-31 80.6%

Passing
    Schlueter 22-26 84.6%
    Andries 23-24 95.8%
    Olson 23-26 88.5%
    Schmitz 5-5 100%
    Dunlap 19-23 82.6%
    Faalele 21-26 80.8%

This is a new metric I just started calculating last week, and I don't know yet whether it's telling us anything meaningfully different or not. We'll give it a few more weeks.

JTG
    How are you getting the 90% and 90.1% grand averages for the team through Purdue? I must be doing something wrong.

This is the data I have:

rush_grades = [[89.2, 95.6, 91.2, 93.5],
    [94.6, 88.9, 86.8, 92.9],
    [87.4, 88.9, 86.8, 94.6],
    [100.],
    [82.9, 82.2, 85.1, 89.9],
    [88.3, 97.8, 93.9, 88.2]]

pass_grades =[[75.8, 100., 85.7, 93.6],
    [86.4, 97.0, 93.5, 98.6],
    [97.0, 97.0, 89.7, 96.2],
    [100.],
    [85.7, 97.0, 83.3, 91.3],
    [84.9, 75.8, 91.3, 91.]]

Are you taking the average of each player's average over the games, or the average over all the numbers? They would be the same, except now with Schmitz it gives different numbers. But I can't get it to come out like yours.