Golden Gophers Open @ -14.5 vs Fighting Illini

spermophilus

Reaction score
We shall see if there is movement from there.

Would set up nicely for a big lead and a first time hold for Casey O'Brien

Very aggressive. I think we win, maybe by 14, but I wouldn’t touch that line with GWG’s money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d bet Illinois to cover

get to 5-0 and generate some excitement for a fun home game environment versus Huskers.

Huskers blind faith in Frost has to be wavering.

Path to 8-0 is wide open!

I was thinking it’d be 7-9. Interesting.

Very aggressive. I think we win, maybe by 14, but I wouldn’t touch that line with GWG’s money.

Good call. Illinois is ranked higher in the talent rankings.

get to 5-0 and generate some excitement for a fun home game environment versus Huskers.

Huskers blind faith in Frost has to be wavering.

Path to 8-0 is wide open!

If Gophs put together a complete game, I think they win by at least 2 TDs

The Illini are 4-24 in conference games under Lovie. The only decent Big Ten team they have beaten is last year's Gophers team. The other 3 conference wins came against:
2016 Rutgers 2-10 (0-9)
2016 Michigan State 3-9 (1-8)
2018 Rutgers 1-11 (0-9)

I'm worried that the Illini rush offense and the Gopher rush defense will keep prevent the Gophers from having anything resembling a comfortable win.

I'm worried that the Illini rush offense and the Gopher rush defense will keep prevent the Gophers from having anything resembling a comfortable win.

We will load the box, shut down the run and get up by 2 TD early. Illini will fold like a cheap hooker who got hit in the stomach by a fat guy with sores on his face. Gophers 34-17.

Well, OK, but they better have a better pass defense than Purdue.

The O/U has got to be in the 70's. I would have to take Illinois and the points to cover and over whatever the total is set at.

I think most would agree, if they had to bet that line they’d take the Illini. I hope the odds makers are more than right in the Gophers favor.

I don't recall any part of our team making comfortable wins. Maybe the pass offense last week, on its own. But otherwise our pass defense isn't great (we give up way too many 3rd and longs) and our rush offense and special teams are nothing great.

I don't recall any part of our team making comfortable wins. Maybe the pass offense last week, on its own. But otherwise our pass defense isn't great (we give up way too many 3rd and longs) and our rush offense and special teams are nothing great.

"Maybe" the Gopher pass offense made 'comfortable wins'?

What would you need to see in order to label it 'definitely comfortable'? What kind of numbers would they have to put up?

Reggie Corbin scares me, but Peters is pretty inaccurate. Also, Illinois defense is giving up 400 yards a game to very bad teams. I think we should be passing all over them, and that will open up the run game a bit. Similar to the Purdue game. But if our defense improves on its tackling issues from the Purdue game, I don’t see this being a close contest. I think the score will resemble the Purdue game minus the bad 4th quarter.

"Maybe" the Gopher pass offense made 'comfortable wins'?

What would you need to see in order to label it 'definitely comfortable'? What kind of numbers would they have to put up?

I wasn't trying to say they didn't do their job. They did and had an outstanding week. I was just saying we have more holes on the team than just rush defense.

That line is way too far in our favor. I could see -10.

I think most would agree, if they had to bet that line they’d take the Illini. I hope the odds makers are more than right in the Gophers favor.

I think it’d probably be about 50/50

Weren’t we a huge favorite last year also and we lost horribly? I’m concerned for this game also. Excited to see it, glad it’s at home. Hoping for another W!

Reggie Corbin scares me, but Peters is pretty inaccurate. Also, Illinois defense is giving up 400 yards a game to very bad teams. I think we should be passing all over them, and that will open up the run game a bit. Similar to the Purdue game. But if our defense improves on its tackling issues from the Purdue game, I don’t see this being a close contest. I think the score will resemble the Purdue game minus the bad 4th quarter.

So, kinda like the 414 we gave up to Purdue's offense led by their back-up QB without their two best receivers? or the 646 we gave up to the Illini last year? In all fairness, after giving up 207 yards in the 1st Quarter last year, i can see why we feel that we'll simply blow them out of the building by showing up.

We should beat this team, but then again we should have spanked them last year. PJ Fleck coached teams have not shown they can beat teams with speed on the edge, and this is the first of many teams we play with just that in the Big 10. This is a bigger test than many seem to think it is, in my opinion. Until we show we can deal with inferior teams with speed, I'll be less optimistic than most, I guess.

So, kinda like the 414 we gave up to Purdue's offense led by their back-up QB without their two best receivers? or the 646 we gave up to the Illini last year? In all fairness, after giving up 207 yards in the 1st Quarter last year, i can see why we feel that we'll simply blow them out of the building by showing up.

We should beat this team, but then again we should have spanked them last year. PJ Fleck coached teams have not shown they can beat teams with speed on the edge, and this is the first of many teams we play with just that in the Big 10. This is a bigger test than many seem to think it is, in my opinion. Until we show we can deal with inferior teams with speed, I'll be less optimistic than most, I guess.

I think I said this game against Illinois should resemble the Purdue game minus the bad 4th quarter. Which is where most of those 414 yards came from, I believe. Haven’t seen a Qtr by Qtr yardage breakdown, but I don’t think the bigger chunks of that 414 came when we were up 28-10 or 38-17. Personally I think we’d have done better against Purdue’s starting QB with Rondale out there. They weren’t doing much while they were in. We were up 14-3 with them on the field. And I don’t care about how we played Illinois last year. That season is dead and gone. This is the 2019 season. If you want to live in the past that’s fine. I’d like to see this as a brand new year with entirely new outcomes on the table. It’s college football. Continuity for these matchups season to season is minuscule. Your pessimism is a cancer that many Gopher fans plague these boards with. Wondering when people like you will be happy. Bet you bitched about Morgan not completing all 22 passes Saturday.

They want money coming in on Illinois, no way Gophers cover 14 1/2. Gophers defense too weak to be favored by 14 1/2.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Top Bottom