Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Adding Nebraska has been the Big Ten's worst mistake in its history

Mentioned this in the Week 5 other games thread, but want to state it more forcefully, and see if anyone cares to comment (agree, disagree, bring up other facts or opinions, tell me I'm an idiot, and such). So without further ado:

I grow more firm in my conviction that adding Nebraska was the worst mistake in Big Ten history.

Never was a worthy academic/research school. Tiny market. Maryland and Rutgers have these in spades, at least.

They were supposed to deliver an Ohio St level football program, and have absolutely failed. The conditions that allowed them to succeed 15-20 years ago are gone and are never coming back. I believe its ceiling on the football field is somewhere in the spectrum of NW to Iowa. I don't think it can achieve Wisconsin levels of success. Zero chance at achieving Ohio St levels.

Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    Mentioned this in the Week 5 other games thread, but want to state it more forcefully, and see if anyone cares to comment (agree, disagree, bring up other facts or opinions, tell me I'm an idiot, and such). So without further ado:

I grow more firm in my conviction that adding Nebraska was the worst mistake in Big Ten history.

Never was a worthy academic/research school. Tiny market. Maryland and Rutgers have these in spades, at least.

They were supposed to deliver an Ohio St level football program, and have absolutely failed. The conditions that allowed them to succeed 15-20 years ago are gone and are never coming back. I believe its ceiling on the football field is somewhere in the spectrum of NW to Iowa. I don't think it can achieve Wisconsin levels of success. Zero chance at achieving Ohio St levels.
    Worse than adding Rutgers?

I'd gladly swap out Rutgers (or even Nebraska) for Missouri.

For fun: at the time Nebraska was added, and assuming the Big Ten *had* to expand to 12 to keep pace, split into divisions, create a televised championship game, who would've been a better add??

Possible options would have been:
    - Missouri (AAU, rivalry with Illinois)
    - Kansas (AAU, major basketball program, wouldn't have been contiguous to Big Ten states at that time (if you believe that matters), but only barely)
    - Iowa State (AAU, not great programs at the time, but have improved greatly, rivalry with Iowa)

Could've looked at Big East and ACC options as well. Pitt would've been a great option in my opinion.

Blog Entries

I recall the thought to bring in Rutgers and Maryland was for the east coast exposure (money)???

I don't recall what the thought on bringing Nebraska in was for at all. Perhaps the same reason. TV money?.
    Gopher football backer since '62.
    Current GopherHole walk on.

Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post
    Worse than adding Rutgers?

I'd gladly swap out Rutgers (or even Nebraska) for Missouri.
    Rutgers brings a huge market (potential), another eastern program for Penn St (it strongly desired), and major research. Nebraska has brought none of that.

I don't think it's anywhere close to Rutgers. Nebraska has a great environment and fan base. Going to games there is very fun. Just because they don't live up to the hype, I don't think its been a huge mistake.

Nebraska and Rutgers were terrible B10 adds. Maryland a fair addition other than location.
    Please consider donating to this site; especially if you are a frequent poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    I recall the thought to bring in Rutgers and Maryland was for the east coast exposure (money)???

I don't recall what the thought on bringing Nebraska in was for at all. Perhaps the same reason. TV money.
    At the time, you needed 12 teams to split into divisions and hold a championship game. The rules have since changed, but that was the rule at the time. They wanted the extra money and exposure of the championship game, to keep up with the SEC.

Missouri openly lobbied to be included, but ultimately Nebraska won out. Nebraska wanted to join the Big Ten way back at the beginning, but were rejected. I think Nebraska was tired of losing to the Texas schools that were added to the Big 8 when it merged with the Southwest conference.

As long as they're in our division, I have no problem with Nebraska being in the B1G.

JTG

Not going to debate the merits of expansion but the decision to add them was not just about football. And I don't think many expected them to be on the level with Ohio State because they hadn't been that program for a while even before joining the BIG.

Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    Not going to debate the merits of expansion but the decision to add them was not just about football. And I don't think many expected them to be on the level with Ohio State because they hadn't been that program for a while even before joining the BIG.
    Then what other merits did Nebraska get selected on????

At the time it was AAU, sure. But it was a lousy research school, and it later would get kicked out of the AAU for that very reason.

Tiny market. Missouri would be much larger, for example.

Neb was a great addition.

They fit in nicely.

Can't add TV markets for marketing sake all the time, that would be stupid.

Play it like the NFL and next thing you know you are cutting teams and traditions, you are competing with the NFL and College Football is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Neb was a great addition.

They fit in nicely.

Can't add TV markets for marketing sake all the time, that would be stupid.

Play it like the NFL and next thing you know you are cutting teams and traditions, you are competing with the NFL and College Football is dead.
    Sure .... but didn't we already have Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan ..... do I need to name the rest? Really, Minnesota and NW were the only Big Ten teams at the time located in NFL markets.

Let's cut them some slack. Unlike the other teams that have been mentioned in this thread, the Nebraska citizenry are absolutely committed to bringing an Ohio State level program to the B1G. I agree that the conditions that prevailed in the 80's and mid-90's do not and will not prevail now or again. That said, they are adapting and remaining committed and focused. I'd give them time.

Agreed about academics/research. They need to step up their game there. At the time the B1G took them in, there was no mistake that they did not fit in from that aspect - they are a few steps behind. Pressure needs to be applied to have them catch up in terms of becoming a high quality academic and research institute.

Finally, the people of Nebraska are high quality. Best around. Minnesota Nice, one might say. No qualms there. Nebraskans fit right in and improve the culture when compared to the fans of some other (unnamed) programs!

Then what other merits did Nebraska get selected on????

At the time it was AAU, sure. But it was a lousy research school, and it later would get kicked out of the AAU for that very reason.

Tiny market. Missouri would be much larger, for example.
    The idea of Rutgers bringing in a market is silly. There are likely more people in NYC that are Nebraska football fans than Rutgers. Nebraska certainly brings in more more viewers to the BTN.

You do not need to live in a city that has a Big 10 team to get a lot of subscriptions to the BTN.