Tanner Morgan - Nation's #4 Rated Passer

fmlizard

Reaction score
Tanner Morgan, our favorite game manager, is now rated #4 in FBS in passer rating and #3 in yards per attempt. The other top guys all play for Top 5 teams and are in the Heisman race. Tanner's also been sacked more than twice as much as his peers throughout the top 20 passers, suggesting he's overcoming more to be on top.

Passer Rating:
Jalen Hurts Okla 249.9
Joe Burrow LSU 225.6
Tua Tagovailoa Ala 225.1
Tanner Morgan Minn 202.1
Justin Fields OSU 194.4

Yards Per Attempt:
Jalen Hurts Okla 15.2
Joe Burrow LSU 12.3
Tanner Morgan Minn 11.6
Tua Tagovailoa Ala 11.6
Dillon Gabriel UCF 11.2

Too bad our starter is injured.

(We really need a "troll-face" emoji. :))

JTG

Too bad our starter is injured.

(We really need a "troll-face" emoji. :))

JTG

Hard to believe ZA5 could have done any better. Still would like to have him as a backup though so hope he heals quickly.

Hard to believe ZA5 could have done any better. Still would like to have him as a backup though so hope he heals quickly.

I wouldn't predict those stats by ZA.....but I also wouldn't say he couldn't either.

Hey, don't let me derail the vibe with my smart-a** comment (which was made in jest). I've acknowledged before that I was very high on ZA, but there's absolutely no arguing with the tremendous job Morgan has done. He's been outstanding.

JTG

Tanner Morgan=Quiet, but deadly assassin.

Tanner Morgan, our favorite game manager, is now rated #4 in FBS in passer rating and #3 in yards per attempt. The other top guys all play for Top 5 teams and are in the Heisman race. Tanner's also been sacked more than twice as much as his peers throughout the top 20 passers, suggesting he's overcoming more to be on top.

Passer Rating:
Jalen Hurts Okla 249.9
Joe Burrow LSU 225.6
Tua Tagovailoa Ala 225.1
Tanner Morgan Minn 202.1
Justin Fields OSU 194.4

Yards Per Attempt:
Jalen Hurts Okla 15.2
Joe Burrow LSU 12.3
Tanner Morgan Minn 11.6
Tua Tagovailoa Ala 11.6
Dillon Gabriel UCF 11.2

He actually averaged a whopping 19 yards per completion yesterday. He didn't turn the ball over and his throws were right on the money all day long. The only negative I would say from yesterday was he held the ball too long and took some sacks he didn't need to take and also didn't run enough on the RPO even though it looked wide open. He will need to do that once in a while to keep the defenses honest. GREAT GAME for him yesterday! He reminds me of Case Keenum when he was with the Vikings in that no matter what he does people tend to overlook and downgrade what he does. I agree with Fleck in that he is a competitor, he learns from his mistakes and he has the intangible that he is a winner and just knows how to win. He has great poise when the game is on the line. He is 8-2 now as a Gopher QB. He kind of reminds me of some of the unheralded QB's from smaller schools that would come in and torch the Gophers and you wonder "who was THAT guy? Why can't we get a guy like that!!"

Well, now we do!

Passer Rating:
Jalen Hurts Okla 249.9
Joe Burrow LSU 225.6
Tua Tagovailoa Ala 225.1
Tanner Morgan Minn 202.1
Justin Fields OSU 194.4

Yards Per Attempt:
Jalen Hurts Okla 15.2
Joe Burrow LSU 12.3
Tanner Morgan Minn 11.6
Tua Tagovailoa Ala 11.6
Dillon Gabriel UCF 11.2

Tanner has done a nice job so far, but Tua, Jalen and Justin all have amazing feet and can buy more time than Tanner. Jalen is also a top rusher, so these guys all have much better ability to run the ball and thus are a dual threat.

So if the guys on the list next to Tanner Morgan are 4 of ESPN's top 5 Heisman candidates, what should that make our Captain Morgan? :confused:

The only negative I would say from yesterday was he held the ball too long and took some sacks he didn't need to take

And even on the sacks, I was impressed with his ability to hold on to the ball. There were at least two where he could have (and did earlier in the season) fumble. But not yesterday!

As I sit here watching the Vikings defense get shredded by the Bears backup QB, I couldn’t help but draw parallels between Morgan and Chase Daniel, who’s the same size as Morgan, has a similar skill set, and is in his 11th season of earning an NFL paycheck, despite being undrafted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanner has done a nice job so far, but Tua, Jalen and Justin all have amazing feet and can buy more time than Tanner. Jalen is also a top rusher, so these guys all have much better ability to run the ball and thus are a dual threat.

Are you trying to say that Tanner shouldn't be in the Heisman conversation?

Just like Mortell invented an award for best holder, Morgan should invent an award for best game manager. It can go to whichever quarterback exhibits the best qualities of quietly doing their job very well while credit generally goes to the players around them.

Are you trying to say that Tanner shouldn't be in the Heisman conversation?

If Gophers go undefeated in the BIG, I will fully endorse Tanner for the Heisman. In the meantime, Tanner aint no Justin, Tua or Jalen.

If Gophers go undefeated in the BIG, I will fully endorse Tanner for the Heisman. In the meantime, Tanner aint no Justin, Tua or Jalen.

Nobody is saying he’s as good as those three, so I don’t understand the need to make that case. We’re not going to get those guys to come here. The best we can hope for is to develop 3 to low 4 star kids.

Meanwhile, I wonder how much better Morgan’s numbers would be if he was Oklahoma’s QB, where they get better protection, and basically play pitch and catch.

As I sit here watching the Vikings defense get shredded by the Bears backup QB, I couldn’t help but draw parallels between Morgan and Chase Daniel, who’s the same size as Morgan, has a similar skill set, and is in his 11th season of earning an NFL paycheck, despite being undrafted.

Reminds of Todd Bouman. Bouman has to one of the unlikeliest long-time NFL QBs in history (and he actually played some legit games over the years). Height and average arm strength are not a total bar to the NFL as my guy Kellen Moore got a a multi year NFL ticket despite going undrafted - had one coach like him. Sometimes it goes like that and you just never know.

Reminds of Todd Bouman. Bouman has to one of the unlikeliest long-time NFL QBs in history (and he actually played some legit games over the years). Height and average arm strength are not a total bar to the NFL as my guy Kellen Moore got a a multi year NFL ticket despite going undrafted - had one coach like him. Sometimes it goes like that and you just never know.

Trevor Siemian is another one. He didn’t exactly have a stellar college career. I doubt many people expected him to have a long NFL career. It proves how hard up the league is for talent at the position.

Yeah, I know what you mean. However, I have three questions:

1) Have Tua, Justin or Jalen led their team from behind to win as many times as Morgan has this season?

2) How many times have Tua, Justin or Jalen faced 3rd and 30 from shadow of their own goal post, with time running out — and eventually made the first down, then proceeded to drive the length of the field, and win the game, as Morgan has?

3) Have Tua, Justin or Jalen completed a 20-yard TD pass on fourth and 13 to tie a game with :46 seconds remaining, and help send it to overtime? On the road?

ANSWERS:

1) No.

2) No.

3) No.

I know Morgan doesn't have the dots, the stars, the hype, the press; and he doesn't play for a playoff contender (... or does he?). But he's pretty good.

Just like Mortell invented an award for best holder, Morgan should invent an award for best game manager. It can go to whichever quarterback exhibits the best qualities of quietly doing their job very well while credit generally goes to the players around them.

Next time they release the rosters I hope they list Tanner Morgan as the starting Game Manager and Cole Kramer as the GM2. Jacob Clark would be listed as a quarterback because he got 4 stars on one of the sites.

Not sure if you are implying Bouman had average arm strength, but if you are, I would very much disagree. Remember seeing him throw a pass from midfield at SCSU to the end zone, from one sideline to the other. Dude had a bazooka arm for college, and was considered above average for NFL.

1) Have Tua, Justin or Jalen led their team from behind to win as many times as Morgan has this season?

2) How many times have Tua, Justin or Jalen faced 3rd and 30 from shadow of their own goal post, with time running out — and eventually made the first down, then proceeded to drive the length of the field, and win the game, as Morgan has?

3) Have Tua, Justin or Jalen completed a 20-yard TD pass on fourth and 13 to tie a game with :46 seconds remaining, and help send it to overtime? On the road?

ANSWERS:

1) No.

2) No.

3) No.

I know Morgan doesn't have the dots, the stars, the hype, the press; and he doesn't play for a playoff contender (... or does he?). But he's pretty good.

Are you aware that you answered a "how many times" question with "no"?

Not sure if you are implying Bouman had average arm strength, but if you are, I would very much disagree. Remember seeing him throw a pass from midfield at SCSU to the end zone, from one sideline to the other. Dude had a bazooka arm for college, and was considered above average for NFL.

No just meant he was unheralded, unrecruited, but had some legit skills. Now Moore is more analogous to TM as he is very accurate, clutch factor 10, but average arm and below average height for college and definitely beyond the second standard deviation in the pros. But, he could do some things. I wouldn’t say TM is to his level yet but could happen.

Back in his HS days, if TM was 6 ft 4 with the same ball skills he would have been a much higher rated QB and all the bigger schools would be after him. As it stands now he has all the mental qualities to be a very good QB but since his physical #'s did not pass the eye test he was over looked and PJ got him. Similar situation as Antoine Winfield Jr.

Back in his HS days, if TM was 6 ft 4 with the same ball skills he would have been a much higher rated QB and all the bigger schools would be after him. As it stands now he has all the mental qualities to be a very good QB but since his physical #'s did not pass the eye test he was over looked and PJ got him. Similar situation as Antoine Winfield Jr.

That’s what happened with Drew Brees. He put up monster numbers in Texas, and led his team to an undefeated season and state championship, yet only had offers from Purdue and Kentucky.

ANSWERS:

1) No.

2) No.

3) No.

He had a tour de force game, but let's not get carried away.

Top Bottom