Brohm and Fleck: Bad Blood?

Rescooter

Section 243
Reaction score
Do these two have a history? I have always seen Fleck be very gracious with coaches of opposing teams. After the game handshake barely existed and Purdue certainly didn't give us a place for an after game news conference (looked like it was outside on a grassy knoll). Even Iowa and Wisconsin are polite hosts compared to Purdue. What's up?

Well, PJ has kicked Brohm’s ass the last two years so maybe that’s it!

What direction is the bad blood? Looks like PJ blew Brohm off. Isn't it normally the winning coach who finds and "consoles" the losing coach? That blow by is just below Brewster's encounter with Bulimia a few years back.

What direction is the bad blood? Looks like PJ blew Brohm off. Isn't it normally the winning coach who finds and "consoles" the losing coach? That blow by is just below Brewster's encounter with Bulimia a few years back.

I think the bad blood is pretty mutual at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purdue certainly didn't give us a place for an after game news conference (looked like it was outside on a grassy knoll).

I thought the same thing so I watched the Vanderbilt postgame. Their presser appeared to take place in the same outdoor area.

While there was the usual obligatory gracious coach speak early in his comments PJ did seem miffed and indicated that this was a good game "in the last few minutes." Having just watched the two coaches pass each other, I may have read more into that than what he meant, but he is usually pretty precise in what he conveys and I took it to mean we kicked their asses most of the afternoon.

Brohm can't believe he lost to this team. I have a feeling he better get use to it.

Could be worse

LEACH-F-U.gif

I think the handshake is being overblown.

Yeh, they are competitors. PJ isn't going to put his arm around everyone.

Also, Brohm's kid was a huge PJ Fleck fan a couple years ago. Brohm probably didn't care for that much.

In a few years these two coaches won't be coaching against each other anymore.

I think Brohm saw last year as a fluke ("we were unprepared for the weather"), and wanted to prove that this year. Obviously that didn't happen, even with their 4th quarter rally.

Also last year he had a chance to jump ship to his alma mater, but didn't. At this point, if the job opens up again, they may not want him. He may also be beginning to think coming to Purdue it's going to kill his career.

Leach is decidedly old school and maybe a ... bit undiplomatic at times even with his own players. Some people hate the lack of grace and coach speak others find it refreshing and entertaining. He’s on record as hating postgame handshakes and halftime interviews.

Definitely PJ is not a Brohm fan. He spoke with a deliberate, defiant, direct and passionate tone on the radio post game. He said in slow strong emotional tones how before they left campus he presented each player with a quote from Brohm how it was Purdue’s worst loss of the year last year because Minnesota was the worst team they played last year. (Something close) And went on to say he had the team read this quote together out loud before they left Minnesota. How this is how the Gophers are perceived by opponents. If they wanted to start to change that perception they needed to prove it on the field tomorrow.

Something along those lines but again...he was angered, proud , defiant, emotional, speaking in calculated stern tones about the win post game. Basically saying FU Purdue as politically correct and carefully as he could.

My interpretation of what I heard.

Definitely PJ is not a Brohm fan. He spoke with a deliberate, defiant, direct and passionate tone on the radio post game. He said in slow strong emotional tones how before they left campus he presented each player with a quote from Brohm how it was Purdue’s worst loss of the year last year because Minnesota was the worst team they played last year. (Something close) And went on to say he had the team read this quote together out loud before they left Minnesota. How this is how the Gophers are perceived by opponents. If they wanted to start to change that perception they needed to prove it on the field tomorrow.

Something along those lines but again...he was angered, proud , defiant, emotional, speaking in calculated stern tones about the win post game. Basically saying FU Purdue as politically correct and carefully as he could.

My interpretation of what I heard.

The quote wasn't from Brohm, it was from one of the defensive players. Brohm was busy berating an official about the PI on Tyler Johnson, which was absolutely a penalty. Purdue would've gotten the ball back with a chance to tie. He was pissed and didn't handle himself well, but I don't think there's any love lost between the 2.

I love how Fleck handled the quote. Instead of using it as fuel or motivation, he used it as a teaching tool about how to handle yourself with the media and how they have to earn respect from other teams.

The quote wasn't from Brohm, it was from one of the defensive players. Brohm was busy berating an official about the PI on Tyler Johnson, which was absolutely a penalty. Purdue would've gotten the ball back with a chance to tie. He was pissed and didn't handle himself well, but I don't think there's any love lost between the 2.

I love how Fleck handled the quote. <b>Instead of using it as fuel or motivation, </b>he used it as a teaching tool about how to handle yourself with the media and how they have to earn respect from other teams.

You don’t think he used it as motivation?

I have zero issue that he did, just curious how you don’t think this story tells that?

Nothing wrong with it if there is. Adds excitement to the game every year.

I love how Fleck handled the quote. Instead of using it as fuel or motivation, he used it as a teaching tool about how to handle yourself with the media and how they have to earn respect from other teams.

You are talking about something different. What I was talking about occurred on Friday and PJ referred to it post game exclusively on the radio. Nothing to do with anything but the score regarding the game just played.

Ryan Burns has talked about this a couple times on his GopherGridiron Radio podcast including this past week in the Purdue preview episode. Burns either doesn't know or won't say what lead to the bad blood, but he mentioned that multiple coaches not associated with the Gophers have brought up Brohm bad mouthing Fleck to him. On the most recent podcast he mentinoned an FCS coach who was visiting Purdue (either for a camp or practice) who told him the Brohm brought up Fleck unprompted and completely out of context while coaching on the field while he was there.

Ryan Burns has talked about this a couple times on his GopherGridiron Radio podcast including this past week in the Purdue preview episode. Burns either doesn't know or won't say what lead to the bad blood, but he mentioned that multiple coaches not associated with the Gophers have brought up Brohm bad mouthing Fleck to him. On the most recent podcast he mentinoned an FCS coach who was visiting Purdue (either for a camp or practice) who told him the Brohm brought up Fleck unprompted and completely out of context while coaching on the field while he was there.

That is weird.

Apparently, PJ lives rent free inside Brohm’s head.

Word on the street is that PJ was Purdue's Number one choice and brohm always took that as a slight against him. Plus Brohm's kid is in love with PJ. Brohm has said on more than one occasion that he doesnt like PJ's style so there is that too.
I think PJ has special motivation too when basically all of our flagship radio personalities were saying that Brohm was the better hire for the first two seasons, and looks like that might not be the case.

I also heard that Brohm told Tanner that he was not a D1 player while at WKU, and so Tanner had this game (and last years) circled for some payback, so hats off to him that he showed up in a big way on saturday.

Word on the street is that PJ was Purdue's Number one choice and brohm always took that as a slight against him. Plus Brohm's kid is in love with PJ. Brohm has said on more than one occasion that he doesnt like PJ's style so there is that too.
I think PJ has special motivation too when basically all of our flagship radio personalities were saying that Brohm was the better hire for the first two seasons, and looks like that might not be the case.

I also heard that Brohm told Tanner that he was not a D1 player while at WKU, and so Tanner had this game (and last years) circled for some payback, so hats off to him that he showed up in a big way on saturday.

There is a layer with Brohm and his son, Brady.
When PJ was still at WMU, Brady reached out to Fleck and Fleck was open to working with him. Fleck said it could get awkward when they start coaching against each other.

Article on it.
https://www.fccnn.com/sports/4337356-new-purdue-coachs-son-fleck-fan

My guess is Fleck isn't all that popular with a fair number of coaches at other programs. The slogans and the energy come off solely as self-promotion in their eyes and many won't cotton to Fleck's style. Brohm strikes me as this "no nonsense/X's and O's" guy who sees Fleck as his polar opposite. It's one of those "It's not enough for dogs to win; cats must lose" situations.

You are talking about something different. What I was talking about occurred on Friday and PJ referred to it post game exclusively on the radio. Nothing to do with anything but the score regarding the game just played.

No, he's talking about the same thing. The quote was from Purdue player (#55), who said it during the week leading up to the game. PJ said something like #55 said this, this week.....and I showed my team they have to earn respect.

Brohm won 5 conference games his first year. And 4 in his second year.

Dude needs to chill.

That’s an interesting angle. That rumor is currently sourceless and nameless, but certainly plausible. If that slight played into his great performance in that game, he needs to figure out how to bottle that up, and unleash it on every P5 who didn’t offer (everyone except Louisville and Wake Forest).

There is a layer with Brohm and his son, Brady.
When PJ was still at WMU, Brady reached out to Fleck and Fleck was open to working with him. Fleck said it could get awkward when they start coaching against each other.

Article on it.
https://www.fccnn.com/sports/4337356-new-purdue-coachs-son-fleck-fan

That article didn't sound like it had bred bad blood. I saw the handshake and it wasn't affectionate, but they often aren't. Doesn't necessarily mean there is bad blood.

Top Bottom