Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1

    Default Brohm and Fleck: Bad Blood?

    Do these two have a history? I have always seen Fleck be very gracious with coaches of opposing teams. After the game handshake barely existed and Purdue certainly didn't give us a place for an after game news conference (looked like it was outside on a grassy knoll). Even Iowa and Wisconsin are polite hosts compared to Purdue. What's up?


  2. #2

  3. #3

    Default

    Well, PJ has kicked Brohm’s ass the last two years so maybe that’s it!

  4. #4

    Default

    What direction is the bad blood? Looks like PJ blew Brohm off. Isn't it normally the winning coach who finds and "consoles" the losing coach? That blow by is just below Brewster's encounter with Bulimia a few years back.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Man View Post
    What direction is the bad blood? Looks like PJ blew Brohm off. Isn't it normally the winning coach who finds and "consoles" the losing coach? That blow by is just below Brewster's encounter with Bulimia a few years back.
    I think the bad blood is pretty mutual at this point.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescooter View Post
    Purdue certainly didn't give us a place for an after game news conference (looked like it was outside on a grassy knoll).
    I thought the same thing so I watched the Vanderbilt postgame. Their presser appeared to take place in the same outdoor area.

    While there was the usual obligatory gracious coach speak early in his comments PJ did seem miffed and indicated that this was a good game "in the last few minutes." Having just watched the two coaches pass each other, I may have read more into that than what he meant, but he is usually pretty precise in what he conveys and I took it to mean we kicked their asses most of the afternoon.

  7. #7

    Default

    Brohm can't believe he lost to this team. I have a feeling he better get use to it.

  8. #8

    Default

    Could be worse


  9. #9

    Default

    I think the handshake is being overblown.

    Yeh, they are competitors. PJ isn't going to put his arm around everyone.

    Also, Brohm's kid was a huge PJ Fleck fan a couple years ago. Brohm probably didn't care for that much.

    In a few years these two coaches won't be coaching against each other anymore.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

  10. #10

    Default

    I think Brohm saw last year as a fluke ("we were unprepared for the weather"), and wanted to prove that this year. Obviously that didn't happen, even with their 4th quarter rally.

    Also last year he had a chance to jump ship to his alma mater, but didn't. At this point, if the job opens up again, they may not want him. He may also be beginning to think coming to Purdue it's going to kill his career.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Could be worse

    It's a classic.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,373

    Default

    Leach is decidedly old school and maybe a ... bit undiplomatic at times even with his own players. Some people hate the lack of grace and coach speak others find it refreshing and entertaining. He’s on record as hating postgame handshakes and halftime interviews.

  13. #13

    Default

    Definitely PJ is not a Brohm fan. He spoke with a deliberate, defiant, direct and passionate tone on the radio post game. He said in slow strong emotional tones how before they left campus he presented each player with a quote from Brohm how it was Purdue’s worst loss of the year last year because Minnesota was the worst team they played last year. (Something close) And went on to say he had the team read this quote together out loud before they left Minnesota. How this is how the Gophers are perceived by opponents. If they wanted to start to change that perception they needed to prove it on the field tomorrow.

    Something along those lines but again...he was angered, proud , defiant, emotional, speaking in calculated stern tones about the win post game. Basically saying FU Purdue as politically correct and carefully as he could.

    My interpretation of what I heard.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 60's Guy View Post
    Definitely PJ is not a Brohm fan. He spoke with a deliberate, defiant, direct and passionate tone on the radio post game. He said in slow strong emotional tones how before they left campus he presented each player with a quote from Brohm how it was Purdue’s worst loss of the year last year because Minnesota was the worst team they played last year. (Something close) And went on to say he had the team read this quote together out loud before they left Minnesota. How this is how the Gophers are perceived by opponents. If they wanted to start to change that perception they needed to prove it on the field tomorrow.

    Something along those lines but again...he was angered, proud , defiant, emotional, speaking in calculated stern tones about the win post game. Basically saying FU Purdue as politically correct and carefully as he could.

    My interpretation of what I heard.
    The quote wasn't from Brohm, it was from one of the defensive players. Brohm was busy berating an official about the PI on Tyler Johnson, which was absolutely a penalty. Purdue would've gotten the ball back with a chance to tie. He was pissed and didn't handle himself well, but I don't think there's any love lost between the 2.

    I love how Fleck handled the quote. Instead of using it as fuel or motivation, he used it as a teaching tool about how to handle yourself with the media and how they have to earn respect from other teams.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NWMetroGopherFan View Post
    The quote wasn't from Brohm, it was from one of the defensive players. Brohm was busy berating an official about the PI on Tyler Johnson, which was absolutely a penalty. Purdue would've gotten the ball back with a chance to tie. He was pissed and didn't handle himself well, but I don't think there's any love lost between the 2.

    I love how Fleck handled the quote. Instead of using it as fuel or motivation, he used it as a teaching tool about how to handle yourself with the media and how they have to earn respect from other teams.
    You donít think he used it as motivation?

    I have zero issue that he did, just curious how you donít think this story tells that?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •