All Things 2019-2020 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

Timberwolves game delay due to unlevel basket.

Bucks CRUSHED Wolves tonight, 134-106. Wolves shot 36% to Milwaukee's 54. Hope you didn't see it.

It was like watching boys playing men. Really good defensive teams (like Toronto last year and Philly this year) will be able to stop Giannis in the playoffs because he has no outside shot. He can only go straight to the rim and sometimes pass to the corner. The wolves, of course, were helpless because of the size differential and no KAT. Even with KAT they lose by 15-20.

Culver looks like a mighty fine college player. He's not showing NBA chops yet. No strength.

The next three games should be interesting. They should be able to beat a depleted GS at home. Denver, probably not. Detroit is an average team. A road win there would be big. Two of the next three would be an indication of a team that might surpass expectations.

It was like watching boys playing men. Really good defensive teams (like Toronto last year and Philly this year) will be able to stop Giannis in the playoffs because he has no outside shot. He can only go straight to the rim and sometimes pass to the corner. The wolves, of course, were helpless because of the size differential and no KAT. Even with KAT they lose by 15-20.

Culver looks like a mighty fine college player. He's not showing NBA chops yet. No strength.

The next three games should be interesting. They should be able to beat a depleted GS at home. Denver, probably not. Detroit is an average team. A road win there would be big. Two of the next three would be an indication of a team that might surpass expectations.

Denver is beatable. Jokic doesn't look like the guy that was first team All NBA last year. They're at Memphis tomorrow, you're missing that one.

I only watched a little bit last night, but I thought Bell played really well. He took a massive charge against the Freak. I felt it from my couch.

The charge call at the end of the first half that was reversed is a really dumb rule by the NBA. The replay took 10 minutes, it was a split second call as is and to reverse it was questionable at best.

Howl Wolves!!

Karl-Anthony Towns returns from busy suspension, says 'I'm going to defend myself'

“I haven’t thought about it. It is what it is. What happened happened. I’ve just been worried about the opponents. I worried about Washington, I worried about Milwaukee,” Towns said, adding: “I’m ready to move on and get ready for Memphis now officially being back in the jersey.”

Towns also said, “I’m going to defend myself” when asked about the fight, while coach Ryan Saunders said that in general terms he supports players when “they feel they need to stand up for themselves.”

Towns’ teammate Jordan Bell added some perspective.

“Somebody was pushing him, so he pushed back. That’s the way my mom told me. Somebody hits you, you hit ... back,” Bell said. “So I think my mom would be proud of what he did.”

http://www.startribune.com/karl-ant...on-says-i-m-going-to-defend-myself/564518912/

Howl Wolves!!

It sure was fun seeing Wiggins take over the game last night. He's making some nice progress. RoCo and Okogie also played big.

Howl Wolves!!

Winning in the NBA is hard, unless you're a glamor team. Winning with a point guard is very hard. The Wolves have been trying to do that this week.

They went on a 16-0 run in the 4th to send the game into OT.

They're down by 3.

Winning in the NBA is hard, unless you're a glamor team. Winning with a point guard is very hard. The Wolves have been trying to do that this week.

They went on a 16-0 run in the 4th to send the game into OT.

They're down by 3.

Almost as hard as beating the Packers and their Refs in Green Bay.

Nuggets beat Wolves 100 to 98 in O.T.

The Wolves were 6 for 45 from 3-point land yesterday.

Howl Wolves!!

The Wolves were 6 for 45 from 3-point land yesterday.

Howl Wolves!!

No kidding. The Nuggets just dared them to shoot. Except for the 16-0 run to send it into O.T. it worked for Denver too.

Wiggins 4-4 FT, 9-16 inside the 3, 1-6 outside

Towns - 6-8 FT, 5-9 inside, 3-14 outside

Layman - 0-0 FT, 4-6 inside, 0-6 outside

Okogie - 7-11 FT, 2-6 inside, 2-6 outside

Covington, Graham, Dieng? 4 for 18 overall.

These guys just can't shoot and without a NBA PG to get them the ball "in their spot" they don't have a chance. This is starting to feel like 2016 all over. New GM/President perfectly fine to throw away any chance to compete this year to "play for the future" throws away all their off-season signings.

For the Wolves since Garnett, that future always sucks. Well, at least it doesn't bother all the "I hate the NBA" guys. Even the ones who like to talk about it. :cool:

Gotta focus on the Gophers. The ones that play football. Apparently the ones that play BB can't really shoot either.

Go Gophers! Ski-u-Mah! Oh and RTB too. ;)

No kidding. The Nuggets just dared them to shoot. Except for the 16-0 run to send it into O.T. it worked for Denver too.

Wiggins 4-4 FT, 9-16 inside the 3, 1-6 outside

Towns - 6-8 FT, 5-9 inside, 3-14 outside

Layman - 0-0 FT, 4-6 inside, 0-6 outside

Okogie - 7-11 FT, 2-6 inside, 2-6 outside

Covington, Graham, Dieng? 4 for 18 overall.

These guys just can't shoot and without a NBA PG to get them the ball "in their spot" they don't have a chance. This is starting to feel like 2016 all over. New GM/President perfectly fine to throw away any chance to compete this year to "play for the future" throws away all their off-season signings.

For the Wolves since Garnett, that future always sucks. Well, at least it doesn't bother all the "I hate the NBA" guys. Even the ones who like to talk about it. :cool:

Gotta focus on the Gophers. The ones that play football. Apparently the ones that play BB can't really shoot either.

Go Gophers! Ski-u-Mah! Oh and RTB too. ;)

I'm really disappointed by Layman. He has flat out sucked so far. I'm trying really hard to not voice what I think of Culver, since he seems like a good dude, so I won't say anything.

I'm really disappointed by Layman. He has flat out sucked so far. I'm trying really hard to not voice what I think of Culver, since he seems like a good dude, so I won't say anything.

- Layman? Except for a game or two, has been awful. He runs the floor well and he hustles. He also gets jobbed often on foul calls. He gets fouled, but doesn't get the call. Biggest problem is he was brought in because he's suppose to be a shooter. He isn't.

- Vonleh? Don't get the love for him at all. He's an okay rebounder, he hustles and can score around the basket. He's a godawful shooter from 7 feet and beyond. Dieng does everything that Vonleh does and he's a much better shooter. He's got a bad contract though, with a guess means Saunders can't play him.

- Graham? Not much of a rebounder and can't shoot. Except at the FT line, but he hardly ever gets there.

- Culver? Yeah, seems like a great kid and he's still young. Maybe he'll get better.

Maybe they'll get better when their Point Guards come back. They should and hope they do. Problem is don't think that Rosas wants them too.

Wolves win 120-114. That 7-9 start from 3 ended-up 15-34. Wiggins had a great night. Towns was in foul trouble by the 2nd Quarter but still got 25-8-6. Layman after last night's debacle got a season high 16 and Dieng because of Towns time on the bench played 17 minutes with 9 pt and 7 rebounds.

The Wolves had lost 8 straight to Detroit.

Up is down. Down is up. Wiggins is killing it.

Wolves 129- Spurs 114. Wolves are now 7-4.

Yep. He's been unreal. He filled the stat line up last night. Both he and Towns are both averaging 25+ a night. He had such promise, and actually played well into his 3rd season. Thibs made sure he killed that.

Obviously gets the lion's share of his improvement. Gotta give Ryan and Towns a little credit for it too.

From the San Antonio perspective:

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Andrew Wiggins is making an impact all over the floor, from the arc to the rim, and the Minnesota Timberwolves are playing with a carefree connectedness that has helped elevate their overall performance.

These developments are not mutually exclusive.

Wiggins kept up his early season surge with 30 points on 12-for-23 shooting, and the Timberwolves handed the San Antonio Spurs their third straight loss, 129-114 on Wednesday night.

“Hey, if you haven’t watched us much, these guys are fun to be around,” coach Ryan Saunders said.

Karl-Anthony Towns scored 28 points and grabbed 11 rebounds, giving Minnesota’s maximum-contract duo a third consecutive game with 25-plus points apiece. Towns and Wiggins are currently the only teammates in the NBA averaging more than 25 points per game.

Wiggins, who added eight rebounds and seven rebounds, drained a pull-up 3-pointer from the left wing in the waning seconds of the third quarter to give the Wolves their biggest lead of the night at 106-95 before they breezed through the final 12 minutes. Wiggins, who has shown a sharp improvement in shot selection under Saunders, received a standing ovation when he was removed late in the game
“I feel like everybody is happy for each other,” Wiggins said. “When someone does good, there’s genuine love.”..

“I think opponents see our organization a little differently. They’ve been so used to us taking mid-ranges and layups and whatever the case may be, that we never adjusted to what the game has changed to,” Towns said. “Not only have we now changed to what the modern NBA is, we are excelling at it tremendously well and being pioneers of excellence with it.”

Towns and Wiggins have 35 games with 25-plus points apiece, the fourth-most in the NBA since Towns was a rookie in 2015-16. Wiggins hit the 30-point mark for the fourth time in five games.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports...Wolves-with-30-points-in-129-114-14833579.php

Wolves 129- Spurs 114. Wolves are now 7-4.

Yep. He's been unreal. He filled the stat line up last night. Both he and Towns are both averaging 25+ a night. He had such promise, and actually played well into his 3rd season. Thibs made sure he killed that.

The most impressive play I have seen from him this season was during last nights game. He went up for a block but the shooter pump faked. Right when Wiggins landed he jumped again and made the block (I think backhanded). I never, ever saw him do something like that before.

The most impressive play I have seen from him this season was during last nights game. He went up for a block but the shooter pump faked. Right when Wiggins landed he jumped again and made the block (I think backhanded). I never, ever saw him do something like that before.

Backhanded? Can't really say I've seen anyone do that before.

Backhanded? Can't really say I've seen anyone do that before.

He was all turned around and was still able to get his fingers on the ball. Very pogo like. Effort like we haven't seen from him before. I also only noticed him getting lost of defense a couple of times compared to many, many times. I'll keep praising him if he keeps this up.

Timberwolves rookie Jarrett Culver is coming of age in the NBA

One of the most encouraging sequences of the season for Timberwolves rookie Jarrett Culver happened in the span of 11 seconds during the second quarter of Wednesday’s 129-114 victory over the Spurs.

Culver was guarding Spurs guard Dejounte Murray on the right wing, and Murray put the ball on the floor to head to the rim. As he was going up to shoot, Culver stripped the ball.

Then after getting the ball back from Karl-Anthony Towns, Culver drove down the floor on Bryn Forbes and got a layup.

It’s moments like that when you can see the kind of player Culver can become in the NBA — a consistent two-way threat thanks to his length, intelligence and ballhandling capabilities.

Slowly but surely Culver is trying to piece it together amid the weight that comes with being the No. 6 overall pick. When asked if he was settling into life in the NBA, Culver said, “It for sure feels that way.”

“Coaches watch a lot of film, and they help me a lot,” Culver said. “So just the work I’ve put in, my teammates are helping me out, and the film helps the game slow down.”

http://www.startribune.com/timberwolves-rookie-jarrett-culver-is-coming-of-age-in-the-nba/564959872/

Howl Wolves!!

Wiggins isn't playing tonight. His Grandmother died yesterday. 39-30 Wizards after 1st Quarter. Most the Wolves have given up in a single quarter this season.

Timberwolves' Jordan Bell seeking more playing time after stint on injury report

Jordan Bell came to the Timberwolves in part because he wanted the chance to play and re-prove himself in the NBA.

Those plans have gotten off to a slow start for Bell, who has dealt with a pair of injuries — first a calf injury, then a shoulder sprain — since training camp.

But now he is off the injury report, as the Wolves have tried to boost Bell’s spirits despite having to go on the mend so early in the season.

“Jordan has had some things happen that are out of his control and we care about Jordan as the person,” coach Ryan Saunders said. “We talk about that a lot. We care about his health too. He’s doing everything to work himself back into the fold.”

Howl Wolves!!

Top Bottom