What grade would you give the Gophers coaching staff in the win over Purdue?

• A

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • B

Votes: 46 52.3%
  • C

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • D

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

B. And that equates to above average. The passing offense pulled the score up to the B.

A for offense (marred only by a couple of running calls that didn't fit the situation and went nowhere). D for defense - almost lost the game. A- for kicking game.

A-

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

A for offense. C- for defense. Kicking game lifts overall grade to to B. (Woulda went with B- if available.)

JTG

I thought the coaches did a good job today. Never easy to win a conference game on the road. Managed to keep their Defense off-balance most of the game by good play calling. Good clock management at the end of the first half (used the remaining TO at exactly the right moment). Barring the onside kick, a massive improvement on special teams to where we were at the start of the season. The only thing that frustrated me at times was the poor tackling on Defense.Others with more knowledge of the game might tell me otherwise but I don't think there were particularly bad play calls on Defense or anything about the scheme.

Are we allowed to say our honest opion or will we get banned for "trolling"?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Pass offense A
Run offense D
Run defense D
Pass defense D

Won the game so overall I’d say a C or C+. B- max.

Not a big fan of having issues keeping just 11 guys on the field, but I thought we had a great game plan and were generally prepared. Road B1G victory! A- for me. Well done PJ and team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B+. Almost an A. He is now 4 and 0 for the year. Hopefully this week more teaching and players absorbing information to do better yet.

Can't give an A because TACKLING, but the team looked generally improved so good job.

I thought the offensive and defensive game plan were good.

I hated a couple of things. There were a couple of times where we had 3rd and like 3/4 and I really wish we would have just looked at those situations like we were going to run the ball two times in a row and see what happens.

The first time they did it was that inside screen that never works and we kicked a field goal. The second time we got sacked. I know hindsight is 20/20 with playcalling, but I was begging for a run on both of those 3rd downs.

I also hated some of our defensive calls on third and long. I don't think Plummer was going to sit in the pocket and pick us apart. I would have liked for us to make him try. When we blitzed it created man-to-man jump balls and opportunities for him to run. I like that gamble in other situations, against this team at this time, I didn't see the point.

Again, hindsight is 20/20 and we won on the road, but parts of the game really annoyed me.

I’ll go with A-

Poor tackling was the problem, not the defensive game plan. I expect they will do a lot of tackling drills this week.

Thought the coaching staff did an excellent job putting players in a position to win. THey can't do anything about the tackling, DL getting held constantly, or Purdue making good plays down the stretch with MN players in position. Also loved the rotation on the OL looking for their best combo of 5. Lots of new stuff on O today, tons of double moves on RPO, more outside zone/stretch. They did a nice job over the bye week. Game was WAY too close for comfort at the end, but it was domination for a large portion...

Counting to 11 and the consumption of timeouts to check the math continues to be an irritant for me.

What grade would people give Brohm?

Played w/o his two best offensive players, made it work, looked prepared, and team fought till the end. Didn’t win tho. I’d say B, how about you?

Played w/o his two best offensive players, made it work, looked prepared, and team fought till the end. Didn’t win tho. I’d say B, how about you?

If I was a Purdue fan I’d give him a D. His defense didn’t adjust at all.

Interesting that Brohm gets the benefit of the doubt because his top 2 players were out. I don’t remember PJ getting that last year when he was missing his top 3 players for pretty much the entire season.

The coaches can’t do anything about fundamentals??

I assume you’re talking about tackling? Of course they can, but it’s up to players to execute. Not every single mistake is the fault of a coach.

I wonder how many Purdue fans gave Brohm a B?

Were they that impressed with holding Morgan under 400 passing yards?

I wonder how many Purdue fans gave Brohm a B?

Were they that impressed with holding Morgan under 400 passing yards?

You are a sensitive guy. LOL.

I'd hope they would. That team fought really hard and had a rough go of it. If they had gotten blown out, yeah, a D makes sense. They lost by a score on a day they lost their best two players.

I know you said earlier that you don't remember people giving Fleck the benefit of the doubt last year, I think they did. People seemed good with Fleck after Iowa and Northwestern. I'd bet the grade was significantly higher than a D and I'd imagine those post game threads talked about being without Rodney and Shannon.

People were pissed after Illinois, rightfully so. That was ugly.

A for offense (marred only by a couple of running calls that didn't fit the situation and went nowhere). D for defense - almost lost the game. A- for kicking game.

Agree with grades. We have to be the worst tackling team in the Big Ten.

You are a sensitive guy. LOL.

I'd hope they would. That team fought really hard and had a rough go of it. If they had gotten blown out, yeah, a D makes sense. They lost by a score on a day they lost their best two players.

I know you said earlier that you don't remember people giving Fleck the benefit of the doubt last year, I think they did. People seemed good with Fleck after Iowa and Northwestern. I'd bet the grade was significantly higher than a D and I'd imagine those post game threads talked about being without Rodney and Shannon.

People were pissed after Illinois, rightfully so. That was ugly.

If the Gophers were down 38-17 to Purdue in the 4th quarter and gave up 400 yards to Sindelar, no one would care that we only lost by 7. The Gopher coach, whoever it was, wouldn’t have any B’s in the poll. I’m sure Brohm doesn’t have many B’s on Purdue’s message board.

You also need some new material.

I can't seem to find Fleck's post game press conference. Anyone have the link?

Top Bottom