[POST GAME THREAD] Minnesota defeats Purdue 38 - 31

Okay, there is only one storyline for this game: Tanner Morgan had the best game of any Big Ten quarterback of the entire history of the Big Ten today. The impossible just happened. We just grew our helmet size today. The kid is not just starting, he IS the STARTER from now on. Annexstad will have to be absolutely amazing to beat TM out of the job.

The amount of groaning on here after a Big Ten road game you’d think we lost rather than dominated before a late run by Purdue.

This is a 6-6 Team by years end. May go 6-0 and lose the last 6 games. Here comes another Pizza Bowl!

All that matters is what Brohm says in the post game presser.

I heard he is the gold standard. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a 6-6 Team by years end. May go 6-0 and lose the last 6 games. Here comes another Pizza Bowl!

You might be right. As of right now they’re 4-0. Try and enjoy it. I know it’s hard but give it a try.

Positives

Tanner Morgan with a breakout passing game.
Bateman is a first round NFL talent.
Johnson is going to be good at the next level.
A TE sighting after hearing so much about how the group is going to do BIG things.

Negatives

Tackling. The defense whiffed on so many tackles it felt like the juke stick on rookie mode in madden.
Offensive line can’t protect and can’t run block.
Special teams minus the punter.

Laughable! Bateman is all world by Gopher standards, first round draft choice, NO!

Laughable! Bateman is all world by Gopher standards, first round draft choice, NO!

No clue where any of the Gopher WR will be drafted.

Bateman & Johnson right now look like they will get a chance to play on Sunday.

No Mo Ibraham today?

I thought i saw Mo in there for one play at least. He probably is not really healthy yet, and since Smith looked very shifty, and was effective, despite the bad blocking he stayed on the sideline.

Shannon Brooks did not really have much of a chance to do anything, as the defenders were on him almost immediately the few times he had a carry. I expect Shannon will look more like himself as the year goes on though.

Morgan was great for sure, but a lot of credit needs to go to the OC. They saw the weakness and just hammered at it. If I was a Purdue fan and saw that RPO work time and again for huge chunks, I would have smashed my TV.

Morgan was great for sure, but a lot of credit needs to go to the OC. They saw the weakness and just hammered at it. If I was a Purdue fan and saw that RPO work time and again for huge chunks, I would have smashed my TV.

The receivers make those long runs after the catch because the passes are absolute strikes, and delivered at the perfect moment. Morgan hits those guys right in stride, time after time, and because the receivers are great athletes they simply outrun the defense.

If we can simply get our run blocking back to late last season's level, we will be awfully hard to defense.

If there ever was a trap game, next week is the one. Can't overlook Illinois with Nebraska coming on 10/12.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The receivers make those long runs after the catch because the passes are absolute strikes, and delivered at the perfect moment. Morgan hits those guys right in stride, time after time, and because the receivers are great athletes they simply outrun the defense.

If we can simply get our run blocking back to late last season's level, we will be awfully hard to defense.

Some of this was also poor game plan by Purdue. Their LBs did absolutely nothing in pass defense and they sold out on the run all day. Purdue also kept at least two LBers in all game.

One point to remember, we ran the ball better than people are talking about on here. If you take our Morgan's sacks (like they do in the NFL), we ran the ball 30 times for 120 yards (4.0 average).

Gotta love the frequent shots of the enraged Purdue DC. That in itself probably enhanced my viewing enjoyment of the game more than anything else.

Some of this was also poor game plan by Purdue. Their LBs did absolutely nothing in pass defense and they sold out on the run all day. Purdue also kept at least two LBers in all game.

One point to remember, we ran the ball better than people are talking about on here. If you take our Morgan's sacks (like they do in the NFL), we ran the ball 30 times for 120 yards (4.0 average).

Ok, but that’s not very good particularly against a defense like Purdue. And you can’t do that.

Really happy to see that Rodney Smith starting to get his legs back. Starting to look like the stud Rodney we've seen in the past.

Learned a little more about the team but still walked outta the stadium wondering how good MN really is...or can be. Prolly going to be at least one horrible loss this year (either unexpected or a blowout) and similarly a surprising win. And a lot of really close games.

OL protected a lot better today. Somebody said earlier in the thread the OL can't protect, but they were much improved IMO. Gophers ran a bunch of long-developing RPOs today, including many double moves that took 4ish seconds to develop. I was pleased with the progress up front and the rotation trying to find the best combo.

Thought the DL was really good in pass rush, but a plethora of uncalled holding penalties + the elusiveness of Plummer made it look worse. PU still ran the ball better than I thought they would, so I'm curious if it was the DL, LBs, or just all the missed tackles.

Rodney looks like his old self.

Anyone complaining about the running game needs their head examined. Purdue sold out to stop the run and we put up 400 yards passing and 38 points. If you can’t enjoy 21-22 from Morgan, go find a new hobby.

If there ever was a trap game, next week is the one. Can't overlook Illinois with Nebraska coming on 10/12.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’m not convinced NE is much better than IL.

Went back and watched the DVRd game since I had other stuff going on most of the afternoon. Really surprised how many missed tackles the Goph D had behind the line of scrimmage on key downs. This game could have been a complete blowout if not for just a handful of those missed tackes. On the bright side, the Gophs are 4 and 0 and haven't come close to playing a complete game yet.

Anyone complaining about the running game needs their head examined. Purdue sold out to stop the run and we put up 400 yards passing and 38 points. If you can’t enjoy 21-22 from Morgan, go find a new hobby.

Totally agree. Purdue really did sell out on the run...thus huge wide open slant plays in the first half. Glad the coaches went with the past first strategy today.

That's not inconceivable. He's just a soph. But, you're probably right. Stefon Diggs was only a 5th rounder.

Top Bottom