[POST GAME THREAD] Minnesota defeats Purdue 38 - 31

offense A for sure defense needs a lot of work still

Look at this stat line: 21/22, 396, 4 TD's!!!!! Insane.

All about Tanner Morgan IMO, everything else is secondary. Time to start remove the "game manager" stamp that seems to have been put on him.

Tough game in the end. I'll take the 4 and 0 and learn from it. Much easier to learn and practice hard when you got a good record.

Defense has to figure its stuff out. Or we are gunna get whooped by some upcoming teams.

Offense is obviously awesome.

PJ and Brohm with the mutual blowby handshake. Brohm just has the look of a natural born d-bag

Just win I guess???? This weeks lesson...step on their throat.

99 yard drive. Poor tackling. Lack of urgency.

But hey! It’s a f of a lot better than losing!!!

It’s a win! That’s what matters!

4-0!!! Coming back home with another chance to gROW!!! A chance at 5-0!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The passing offense was wonderful... Pass blocking (for the most part), Morgan, the receivers, the calls.... A+.

The run game.... Ugg. This big line can't get you a per run average over 3 yards? Unacceptable.

Defense? If they don't improve their tackling, my heart may not survive the season.

What could have been a laugh off victory needlessly turned into a nail biter.

Never complain about 4-0. It's also nice to be able to learn from wins as opposed to losses. I expect the D will figure some stuff out before Illinois. Really pumped about the passing game. I hope the coaches realize this is where our strength lies and don't try to hold onto their "establish the run" strategy going forward. We have some teams coming up on the schedule that really struggle to defend the pass (Illinois, Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland). Let's f-ing SLING IT until someone forces us to do otherwise.

Also, not prepared for the onside kick!!! Another special teams blunder. Not sure about having Seth Green in that position??

I noticed that too. Seems to be some lack of friendliness between those two. I like it! Fleck 2-0!

Brohm was still having a tantrum about that obvious pass interference call on TJ. Dude is a major baby.

Brohm was still having a tantrum about that obvious pass interference call on TJ. Dude is a major baby.

No tug on the sleeve, and TJ6 makes that catch. Penalty, period.

Positives

Tanner Morgan with a breakout passing game.
Bateman is a first round NFL talent.
Johnson is going to be good at the next level.
A TE sighting after hearing so much about how the group is going to do BIG things.

Negatives

Tackling. The defense whiffed on so many tackles it felt like the juke stick on rookie mode in madden.
Offensive line can’t protect and can’t run block.
Special teams minus the punter.

Also, not prepared for the onside kick!!! Another special teams blunder. Not sure about having Seth Green in that position??

Lol

For sure not prepared
Only had the hands team on the field.

Who else do you want on the hands team if not a wideout?

Positives

Tanner Morgan with a breakout passing game.
Bateman is a first round NFL talent.
Johnson is going to be good at the next level.
A TE sighting after hearing so much about how the group is going to do BIG things.

Negatives

Tackling. The defense whiffed on so many tackles it felt like the hit stick on rookie mode in madden.
Offensive line can’t protect and can’t run block.
Special teams minus the punter.

Honestly it is a 20 point win if the team tackles at a B level

offense A for sure defense needs a lot of work still

You mean, passing offense. Probably could have come close to 500 yards today if they weren't leashed later in the game.

Last edited:

Again, couldn't run; only 2.7 yards per rush and that was with Smith making a terrific effort on every play. Defense gave up the big play again and again, sloppy tackling, couldn't reach the QB, who was killing us. Once again, Morgan and receivers saved the day. But if we can't run against our first four opponents, who will we be able to run against? With their top QB and best receiver/player out, Purdue still almost won. Nevertheless, a win is a win.

Lol

For sure not prepared
Only had the hands team on the field.

Who else do you want on the hands team if not a wideout?

I want more guys in the middle and not a 6’ 4” 240 pound 6th string receiver that we use as a fullback. Who else was there? Attack the football! I’d have done it again if I was Brohm. It was atrocious.

Last edited:

All 4 ESPN Gameday hosts picked Purdue

Again, couldn't run; only 2.7 yards per rush and that was with Smith making a terrific effort on every play. Defense gave up the big play again and again, sloppy tackling, couldn't reach the QB, who was killing us. Once again, Morgan and receivers saved the day. But if we can't run against our first four opponents, who will we be able to run against? With their top QB and best receiver/player out, Purdue still almost won. Nevertheless, a win is a win.

Um, do we need to run with passing like that??

TM2 is a stud.
D needs to improve.
Best win this season so far.
4-0.

We never play well there so I knew it would be tough. It is always good to get the opener out of the way. I am looking forward to the next 2 games.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brohm looks like an axe murderer at times.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

The onside kick took a perfect hop and skipped into the helmet - it’s not like he couldn’t handle it. Everyone that has ever played an infield position in baseball has had it happen. I wish we could get a lucky kick like that sometime.

TM and the WRs looked like they were throwing in the backyard most of the day. Yeah, it’s Purdue but it was still a historically good performance.
Smith ran hard and picked up some tough yards.
IIRC Durr made a few nice plays, Winfield same. Maybe it’s more they didn’t miss tackles.

Seemed like nobody on defense could tackle or make a play. Their QB was seemingly just out of reach all day. Deroue was tough to tackle early but found out later we couldn’t tackle anyone else either. Lots of green grass in the secondary.
The line seemed to struggle again on run blocking in particular but will wait on the breakdown from Rock and House (and Derek Burns will weigh in on Gopher Gridiron pod).
Placekicker seemingly has an (accurate) peashooter leg. Could be an issue at times.

_

Last edited:

It's going to be one of THOSE seasons...that the Gophers don't usually have.

Folding into the fetal position was an option in any number of playbooks for recent Gopher teams in the past.

NOT THIS TEAM.

Enjoy the ride. Every safe landing is a good landing...

Ski U Mah!

I like that we look like we are improving. Purdue won the time of possession battle but that's because we scored on big plays needing only a minute or two to get down the field. Tanner was spectacular as were the WRs. Rodney had 100+ yards. Special teams barring the on-side kick looked better...especially the punting and kicking. Defense...it was hard to watch the tackling but I thought we did a better job tackling for a loss (6x), getting 2 sacks and 2 interceptions. If the tackling were better it would have been a route. But even defense did a lot pretty well. Missed tackles..ugh but lots of positives here. There are few teams who are still undefeated and we are one of them. And one of the things Fleck likes...we had LOTS of big plays and we had ZERO turnovers. That's how you win games even if you don't tackle well.

Top Bottom