Chip: Barber family's long Gophers journey is nearing an end, or is it?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Thomas has left his own mark on the program. A productive player on the field but so much more than that. He already has his degree and volunteers considerable time with various community service initiatives.

“I’m happy that I got to — they won’t let me say live up to because they always say I’ve exceeded — but as a younger brother and a son, it’s something I’m glad I could be what they were on this campus and set examples off the field as well,” Barber said.

The end of his career means his parents will no longer be football parents. They attended as many road games as possible in those 12 seasons, logging thousands of miles on their car.

When Dom was in high school, they’d leave after his Friday night game so they could watch Marion III the next day wherever the Gophers played. They’ve attended every bowl game. They plan to be in West Lafayette on Saturday.

What will they do next year as football empty-nesters?

“Enjoy our grandbabies,” Karen said.

Dom and his wife have three kids — twins (boy and girl) who turn 4 next month and a two-year-old son. They look up to their Uncle Bubba the same way he idolized his older brothers as a young child.

So maybe the Barber tree will continue with Gophers football in about 15 years?

“That’s a strong possibility,” said Marion, the man who started it all.

http://www.startribune.com/barber-f...journey-is-nearing-an-end-or-is-it/561540472/

Go Gophers!!

Based on the families track record at the U I would bet whenever there is a Barber ready to go the college route again there will be spot for them at the U of M on the football team.

Great kids, great family, solid football players.....unfortunate we will have to wait 15 years or so before the next one is old enough to keep the family legacy going.

The 'ol man was one of my favorites in the '70's.

Safe to say Papa Barber was the most important recruit in modern Gopher football history.

Unreal dividends.

A pleasure to watch!

Safe to say Papa Barber was the most important recruit in modern Gopher football history.

Unreal dividends.

A pleasure to watch!

Yeah, only shame is they didn't end up with twin boys or a few more kids along the way :). I get the feeling that if any of them had expressed a strong desire to go anywhere other than the U of M it would not have sat well with the old man.

Crazy part of all of this is that MB3 was a late addition to the class and wasn't viewed as much of a RB prospect. We all know how that one worked out.

They've had an awesome run!

I think it would be a cool poster to have them all in their maroon game jerseys with their signatures. Could be nice perq for ST holders.

Does anyone have any updates or know how Marion Barber III is doing lately? I hope he's ok, the last I heard was when he pulled that gun out at a church 5 years ago, and they didn't really provide any updates on him in the article like they did with Dom.

I still remember watching him at Wayzata play both ways, and pick off Joe Mauer 3 times in a win over Cretin. Heck of an athlete.

Top Bottom