STrib: Richard Pitino wants bigger Oturu to be more physical, shoot some threes

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

The next step for Oturu was getting stronger. Now Pitino wants his talented young big man to be more physical posting up and setting screens. On the team’s foreign tour to Italy this summer, Oturu also displayed some three-point shooting ability.

“If you can pop every now and then, that will help,” Pitino said Tuesday. “He just has to figure out where his bread is buttered. Not falling in love with the three, but every coach loves a
who can shoot.”

Oturu isn’t the only Gophers post player who got bigger since last season. Sophomore forward Jarvis Omersa gained 10 pounds and is now 6-7, 235. Omersa played some center Tuesday with Oturu out sick and redshirt junior big man Eric Curry’s contact limited coming back from a foot injury.

Curry and Omersa could play behind Oturu at center this season. Oturu’s tested his added strength against another big body in 6-10, 240-pound freshman Sam Freeman this offseason.

“I like playing against a player like that because it gives me a feel for what it’s like in the Big Ten,” Oturu said. “He’ll help the team a lot based on his strength, rebounding and defense. Sam works hard and wants to be good. So, having him to compete against me every day is helping a lot.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-center-daniel-oturu-returns-bigger-and-better/561286562/

Go Gophers!!​

Love his comments about Freeman helping with his development

Top Bottom