POLL - If we were an SEC Team, who would we be?

If we were an SEC Team, who would we be?

• Total voters

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
POLL - If we were an SEC Team, who would we be?

I went with Kentucky. Long losing streak to FL recently overcome.
A national title long ago.

By the way, Michigan might be the next Tennessee, although some could argue Tennessee=Nebraska

I voted Arkansas but I think you can make a case for South Carolina or one of the Mississippi schools. Definitely not the Vanderbilt or Kentucky level, that would be Rutgers or Indiana but we are more in the upper bottom half over recent years. Those teams have had some success but have generally been mediocre.

That's not the teams fault.

So your question is the actual team on the field or the program?

If it's the team on the field, Vanderbilt.

If it's the program, probably Kentucky.

Why would you put A&M and Mizzou on the same line? I could make an argument that we're Mizzou-like (I think they're the SEC team most like us), but A&M has had a Heisman winner in the last decade, their current coach won a national championship in 2013 (albeit with Florida State), they play in a stadium that's more than double the capacity of TCF Bank and regularly sell it out, and they're in the fertile recruiting territory of Texas. They're head and shoulders above us as a program.

Why would you put A&M and Mizzou on the same line? I could make an argument that we're Mizzou-like (I think they're the SEC team most like us), but A&M has had a Heisman winner in the last decade, their current coach won a national championship in 2013 (albeit with Florida State), they play in a stadium that's more than double the capacity of TCF Bank and regularly sell it out, and they're in the fertile recruiting territory of Texas. They're head and shoulders above us as a program.

I put them on the same line from a newness factor. Recent addition to the conference. I wish I had adequate spots for all.
Figured MO and A&M would be compared with the Penn St / Rutgers / Maryland / Nebraska group more because of lack of history with the conference.

I tried to view through the lens of us being a perennial power beofre most of us were born and now suck. So i chose ole miss.

Since I spend a bunch of time in Mississippi had to go with Mississippi State

Tennessee - a formerly great program trying to find success. Stadiums a little different, but they're both by rivers.

Ole Miss.
Pretty good in the 60s

Bad since with a couple of resurgent seasons that just never won the conference.

Recent success against Bama

Chose Tennessee for historical connection of Warmath to General Neyland.
Suppose I could have chosen Mississippi State as well. But reasons were historical ties, I guess.

South Carolina, easy.
`1) We struggle to win and as soon as we see light at the end of the tunnel, it is a high speed train. 2) we have shared coaches: Holtz, Tom Gadd, Ray Jones (basketball). 3) neither can produce an NFL QB. Give me time I'll report a few more.

Went with South Carolina. Although they did have three straight 11 win seasons from 2011-2013....so maybe the comparison isn't quite right.

Went with South Carolina. Although they did have three straight 11 win seasons from 2011-2013....so maybe the comparison isn't quite right.

Agree, those 11 win seasons are a difference. Somewhat peripheral connections/similarities are that President Gabel's previous stop was in Columbia, and former Gamecock AD Mike McGee was an assistant to Warmath in earlier days.

Hasn't Mizzou won the SEC east a couple times since they joined? I don't see the similarity.

They won the east in 2013 and 2014

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I voted Arkansas but I think you can make a case for South Carolina or one of the Mississippi schools. Definitely not the Vanderbilt or Kentucky level, that would be Rutgers or Indiana but we are more in the upper bottom half over recent years. Those teams have had some success but have generally been mediocre.

If you look at KY's record the last ten years, I think it's a lot closer to the Gophers' record than you might want to believe...

If you look at KY's record the last ten years, I think it's a lot closer to the Gophers' record than you might want to believe...

But relative to the rest of the SEC, they have generally been one of the bottom two teams with Vanderbilt. The gophers typically have not been one of the bottom two teams over the last 10 years, thats more Indiana and Rutgers. So I would compare those programs to Vandy and Kentucky.

Tulane. They were smart in leaving the SEC to focus on academics versus football -- other than maybe Vanderbilt, the SEC is really low on academics.

Why are A&M and Missouri together? I would have chose Missouri but can't because we are no A&M.

Why are A&M and Missouri together? I would have chose Missouri but can't because we are no A&M.

I put them together because they were recent adds. (Penn St, Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland)

Top Bottom