Iowa president questions whether the annual Cy-Hawk game should continue

https://youtu.be/KvNas_K24Fw. The incident.

They decided to parade through there 6 across, swinging their instruments around and then got upset because they weren't being well recieved by the fans around them. Idiots.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

That does seem like a poor exit route..... also why not wait all of a minute for the crowd to disperse?

That does seem like a poor exit route..... also why not wait all of a minute for the crowd to disperse?
Pretty dumb on their part.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

According to the Iowa State Athletic Director this is what happened (quote below from ESPN article), which looks to be supported by the video. Seems to me that the Iowa marching band acted like pompous jack asses.

"Have this vision: It was 30 minutes after the game, and the only people remaining in the football stadium were the Iowa marching band and the Iowa State marching band," Pollard said. "... Our security personnel advised the Iowa marching band it would be best for them to exit to the east through Gate 1 like our band did and had no issues because the gate was wide open.

"For whatever reason the Iowa marching band did not do that," Pollard said. "They chose to leave the field through the west side of the Jacobson building where there were thousands of people still shoulder-to-shoulder in a snail's pace trying to work through that small entry way. The Iowa marching band marched in formation playing their instruments through the back of that crowd and essentially forced their way through a crowd there was no place for anybody to move to

According to the Iowa State Athletic Director this is what happened (quote below from ESPN article), which looks to be supported by the video. Seems to me that the Iowa marching band acted like pompous jack asses.

"Have this vision: It was 30 minutes after the game, and the only people remaining in the football stadium were the Iowa marching band and the Iowa State marching band," Pollard said. "... Our security personnel advised the Iowa marching band it would be best for them to exit to the east through Gate 1 like our band did and had no issues because the gate was wide open.

"For whatever reason the Iowa marching band did not do that," Pollard said. "They chose to leave the field through the west side of the Jacobson building where there were thousands of people still shoulder-to-shoulder in a snail's pace trying to work through that small entry way. The Iowa marching band marched in formation playing their instruments through the back of that crowd and essentially forced their way through a crowd there was no place for anybody to move to
This is the Iowa band’s fault. Don’t want a confrontation with Iowa State fans. Don’t go out of your way to piss people off after a really tough loss.

Remember it's Iowa States Super Bowl

It's also Nebraska's Super Bowl

It's Minnesota's Super Bowl

Due to Iowa's absolute greatness, they have no Super Bowl They are just too good. LMAO

Here is a good summary of known events and the ISU police chief’s (Newton) outlook. Trumpeting ear splitting UIowa school music, swinging tubas and instruments around in a very crowded frustrated crowd of enemy fans is pretty stupid and ruthless. It doesn’t mean throwing beer etc is ok but agitating an upset crowd that just lost a rivalry game is probably not a wise decision.

Pollard: Band erred in choosing exit

During Tuesday's news conference, Pollard chastised the Iowa band for failing to exit from the open east gate and, instead, exiting through a crowded west gate with "thousands" of people.

Pollard acknowledged that the Iowa band's buses were closer to the west entrance, but he implied it would have been easy for band members to walk the extra distance.

"For whatever reason, the Iowa marching band did not do that," Pollard said. "They chose to leave the field through the west side ... where there were thousands of people still shoulder-to-shoulder in a snail's space trying to work their way through the tunnel."

The band and fans were leaving about six hours after kickoff because of about three hours of weather delays. Iowa won the game, 18-17.

Newton said there was a skirmish as the band exited the stadium because members of the band were marching in formation, pushing into the backs of people as they walked out of the stadium.

“They were marching faster than people could walk,” Newton said.

Newton encouraged any potential victims to make a police report by calling 515-294-4428.

"Not a single student has come forward to us," Newton said, adding that he asked UI Police to forward relevant reports to his department. "At this point, UI Police have still not received any word from those band members."

Asked why the victims had to come to police, rather than police reaching out to people who have spoken out, Newton said: "A victim needs to come forward to the police first. Generally, the police don't reach out to a victim. And actually, from the social media reports and other reports that are out there, I don't know that those folks are the victims. They're saying these things happened. It doesn't appear that, from the ones I've seen, that people are saying that happened to them, necessarily."

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...yclones-hawkeyes-press-conference/2427484001/

Last edited:

Like all of a few minutes later and ....no traffic, but they still go through.

Hopefully our band is watching and keeping notes on what not to do.

Like all of a few minutes later and ....no traffic, but they still go through.

Hopefully our band is watching and keeping notes on what not to do.

Almost like they were intentionally rubbing their noses in it...hmm.

If they discontinue I would love to play ISU every year. It is an easy road trip for both schools.

There is no rule that says "They have to play two buy games against FCS, Sun Belt, MAC every year.

If they want 7 home games for budgetary purposes (and all B1G teams do, including MN), and there are 9 Big Ten games.....then yes, they do have to have two buy games every year. Do the math.

They played Pitt in 2014 & 2015 with the 9 game BT schedule.

No they didn't.

Last edited:

They decided to parade through there 6 across, swinging their instruments around and then got upset because they weren't being well recieved by the fans around them. Idiots.

Got upset after they were accosted by Cyclone fans...adults, not students. Iowa State follows their clown, Jamie Pollard.

Iowa band and leadership looking worse by the day

Jamie Pollard continues to prove his childish nature with each passing comment. He's Trumpian with his pandering and continual red herrings.

But yes, it's the band's fault they were assaulted. They deserved it because they walked into a crowd of opposing fans. And we all know how vicious marching bands are!

I can't believe we're almost through page 3 and are still calling it the CyHawk series instead of its proper name, ¡El Assico!

Jamie Pollard continues to prove his childish nature with each passing comment. He's Trumpian with his pandering and continual red herrings.

But yes, it's the band's fault they were assaulted. They deserved it because they walked into a crowd of opposing fans. And we all know how vicious marching bands are!

Not vicious just kind of dumb/childish. Play with matches, fingers/hot stove type stuff. Yes, it doesn’t excuse any bottle throwing or actual assault but a little shoving in such close quarters seems pretty assured and probably to be expected, no?

And still no police reports filed. Interesting?

So if a band goes through a crowd and swings their instruments it's okay if fans assault them?

Both schools are trying to use "these sorts of things happen almost every year and go both ways" as an excuse. That just shows how incompetent they are. Violence from the fans and sexual harassment/assault shouldn't be an accepted part of college football. If they know that these things happen there should be enough cops around to address those issues, even if the visiting band leaves through the wrong exit or swings their instruments. If they can't do that, they shouldn't invite the visiting band.

At the end of the day it's the job of the host school to ensure that everyone is safe on campus the day of the game. They can make whatever excuses they want but they don't justify it. It always seems like we have enough police and security at home games. I was in the band at the U and saw people get tackled and ejected from the stadium for much less than what the Iowa band alleges. When Iowa's band came here a few years back I really doubt they would have been at risk if they went out the wrong exit and swung their instruments.

I’m starting to think ISU would be fine without the band, and vice versa. The ISU facilities manager asked them to leave out the back door - why? To avoid trouble. The Iowa guys wanted to have a parade and insisted on trooping through a group of tired, frustrated, and likely inebriated ISU fans - what do you think might happen? If you go looking for trouble, sometimes you’ll find it. Common sense?

Provocatively Arrogant, Cocky, Stupid, Iowee Band. They were saying they were victimized? What kind of response do they expect out of rain delayed pissed off drunken ISU fans? They marched in formation through a throng of ISU fans playing and swaying their band instruments widely. That is taunting. Only in Iowa downwind from MN.

:pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig:

Last edited:

So if a band goes through a crowd and swings their instruments it's okay if fans assault them?

No, but where is the assault? Remember, this whole thing started with some Facebook posts by band members in which it was claimed, among other things, that band members were physically and sexually assaulted. Not against the posters themselves, mind you, but they heard it happened.

Once again, there has been no police report filed. The Ames chief of police has basically said he has detectives ready and waiting to investigate if somebody, anybody, would come forward to report that he or she was assaulted. The phone has yet to ring.

The Iowa band going out the same entrance as all those fans was deliberate. The northwest exit and northeast exit flank the Jacobson Athletic Building, and both lead directly to the buses you see in the video. The northeast exit was clear. The band chose to go the route they went.

In addition, GoGophersUMN, are you claiming that "if a band goes through a crowd and swings their instruments" that this is a bit of harmless fun? Are you kidding me? Have you held a sousaphone? I played trombone, and I once accidentally clocked a saxophone player's head in front of me when we were playing at the state hockey tournament. It hurts.

All I can say is, this was an extremely poor and STUPID decision. After a very tough, emotional, rivalry game .... to me, the only way you can get to that level of stupid, is that someone *wanted* that band to push their way through, in a gloating manner that it very much was. Almost daring the pissed off, some drunk, Iowa State fans to "do something".

I don't know who made the decision. It could've been the band members themselves, in which case you say "dumb kids make dumb decisions". But it also could've been the band leader or some other adult(s) affiliated with the band. And even if it was the band members making the decision, where were the adults to see that it was obviously a terrible choice and to stop them? Either way, the blame falls on the adults that should've been in charge of the band.

That said, keep in mind that the comments by the Iowa President are being (purposefully, of course) chopped up, to turn a much more overall benign comment into a much more provocative statement. He in fact said, that the game shouldn't be played ... *IF* people don't want to come to the table. The second part was (purposefully, of course) swept under the rug, and the focus was put on the first part.

Of course people are going to come to the table. This series isn't going anywhere.

Iowa didn't plan this out ahead of time. They're not smart enough for that. They could however try to take advantage of it, after the fact, to win some kind of concession. And if Iowa St really does stonewall them, sure, they could try to weasel their way out of the game. But Iowa lawmakers would, I think, and would absolutely be in the right, force them to keep playing. That's my opinion, on that.

Last edited:

I don't think anyone has said that, nor is there anything to prove that actually happened...

An armchair rube like me can always question, after the fact. That said .... the video pretty clearly shows them marching in formation the whole time, never stopping.

If one of your band mates really got assaulted by ISU fans ..... would you just keep marching on?

If those swinging instruments hit the people in the crowd that the band was trying to force it's way through (cant see from the video whether or not that happened), then the band members were doing the assaulting.

This may not be a precipice of WWIII situation, but on highly charged situations/emotions/provocation

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YZuMe5RvxPQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Top Bottom