More impressive analytics for Morgan

I really like Tanner as a QB but to be fair to previous gopher qbs, Tanner has the best receiving corps of my 40+ year lifetime.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

No doubt it is a good combo.

Tanner hasn't quite shown the regular over / under throw to an open guy here or there that some QBs would make too.

No doubt it is a good combo.

Tanner hasn't quite shown the regular over / under throw to an open guy here or there that some QBs would make too.
The only Leidner throw I can recall was in the GSU game, where he skipped a pass in the dirt. Probably has a few more, but they are rare, which is nice.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Tanner's got some obvious growth opportunities -- he needs to look off receivers more, know when to throw it away, and learn when to hold it on the RPO.

He's still shaping up to be the best QB in school history, and it would take some serious statistical regression at a point where most QBs grow for it not to happen. Accuracy and moxie will take a QB far.

He's a better passer than Leidner or Weber, and is now hitting at 66%, the highest I can remember for any QB other than Abdul-Khaliq, who hit 63% his senior year (2003) and led the nation in passing efficiency. But Morgan is also an emotional leader, a good field general, and a QB who can escape tackles and get a great pass off under pressure. My only worry about Tanner, is that he might get hurt.

All Tanner Morgan does is be productive quietly. Sooner or later, some Gopher records will be eclipsed.

The only Leidner throw I can recall was in the GSU game, where he skipped a pass in the dirt. Probably has a few more, but they are rare, which is nice.

Yeah that's the only one I thought of too.

Just nothing regular enough to remember.

He had a few dimes against Mizzou in that bowl game.

It might be more than you think. They think he’s the backup, and we’d be better off with Annexstad. I’m talking about the more casual fans, not Gopherhole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The offense was immediately and noticeably sharper and better when TM took over after the half at Nebraska. TM has really shined when the bullets are flying, the rush is on, and/or he has to get out of the pocket. For whatever reason, arm strength, decision-making, or intangibles/leadership PJ prefers/preferred ZA and sure ZA may have made the second year jump this season but I don’t think the team finishes as strong last year at least...

How long has it been since we’ve had a pretty good feeling we can convert a third and long? TM has been nothing short of incredible on big downs either with his arm or occasionally running for the first down. I’d argue he’s under appreciated even if yeah he locks on a guy or fails to locate the open guy. Sure he could be better but least of our worries.

Morgan is what, nine starts into his career?

Weber (2007 12 games) 258-449 57.5% 2,895 yds 6.4 YPA 24 TD 19 int 120.8 rating
Morgan (18-19 9+ games) 137-224 61.2% 2,100 yds 9.4 YPA 18 TD 8 int 154.9 rating

Well, he's off to a hell of a start.

And, just for kicks:

Annexstad (2018 7 games) 97-187 51.9% 1,277 yds 6.8 YPA 9 TD 7 int 117.6 rating

I'm a big Annexstad guy. But Morgan has surpassed the expectations I had for any Gopher QB the last two years. Hell, compare his passer rating to Weber's freshman year. And keep in mind that Weber put up his program-record numbers by having pretty much the exact same season (statistically) his next three years.

You wonder about reversion to the norm. But with Morgan -- and really, the whole team -- their hasn't been enough time to really know what the "norm" is.

In its current form (with both Morgan and Faalele starting) this offense has only played nine games.

Wherever Morgan's norm ends up being, he's set a high bar.

JTG

Morgan is what, nine starts into his career?

Weber (2007 12 games) 258-449 57.5% 2,895 yds 6.4 YPA 24 TD 19 int 120.8 rating
Morgan (18-19 9+ games) 137-224 61.2% 2,100 yds 9.4 YPA 18 TD 8 int 154.9 rating

Well, he's off to a hell of a start.

And, just for kicks:

Annexstad (2018 7 games) 97-187 51.9% 1,277 yds 6.8 YPA 9 TD 7 int 117.6 rating

I'm a big Annexstad guy. But Morgan has surpassed the expectations I had for any Gopher QB the last two years. Hell, compare his passer rating to Weber's freshman year. And keep in mind that Weber put up his program-record numbers by having pretty much the exact same season (statistically) his next three years.

You wonder about reversion to the norm. But with Morgan -- and really, the whole team -- their hasn't been enough time to really know what the "norm" is.

In its current form (with both Morgan and Faalele starting) this offense has only played nine games.

Wherever Morgan's norm ends up being, he's set a high bar.

JTG

Zach played on the run and hurt so I don't really think too much of those stats.

Morgan's completion percentage is great as is his and his WRs able to convert drive saving 3rd downs.

The offensive game plans seem to be geared toward limiting potential mistakes by the QB. Perhaps that’s just how these guys bring up young QBs, and it could be a big reason for Morgan’s gaudy efficiency numbers. At some point, they need to take off the training wheels...especially if they’re unable to bet the running game going. Going forward, we’ll have to wait and see what Fleck means when he talks about adding more to the offense, week by week.

The offensive game plans seem to be geared toward limiting potential mistakes by the QB. Perhaps that’s just how these guys bring up young QBs, and it could be a big reason for Morgan’s gaudy efficiency numbers. At some point, they need to take off the training wheels...especially if they’re unable to bet the running game going. Going forward, we’ll have to wait and see what Fleck means when he talks about adding more to the offense, week by week.

I sometimes wonder if letting a QB sling it a lot would accelerate their growth ... but would probabbly lose games more often.

I sometimes wonder if letting a QB sling it a lot would accelerate their growth ... but would probabbly lose games more often.

That seems to be the strategy TCU is using with Max Duggan, and he’s near the bottom in the country in a lot of categories. We’ll have to wait and see how that works out in the long run.

That seems to be the strategy TCU is using with Max Duggan, and he’s near the bottom in the country in a lot of categories. We’ll have to wait and see how that works out in the long run.

My other theory is that great QBs are just born and you really can't "train" them as much as they either have the tools and it eventually shines through or they don't.

They're not exactly complementary theories, but not entirely different either.

I'd just like to remind people that Tanner Morgan has started 9 games at the collegiate level.

The kid is good, he's only going to get much better.

So if we look at it, Morgan isn’t even a full season’s worth of games played yet. He’s basically still a freshman as far as in game experience under his belt. I’d say he looks incredible compared to any Gopher QB’s we’ve had that I’ve been alive for. And like a few have already said, he should/will only get better from here. He seems like a very mature player too. He keeps his composure, and he doesn’t seem to let a bad drive ruin his performance for the rest of the game. He loses a fumble on a drive, turns around the next drive and goes 8/9 for 75 yards and a TD pass. I mean he really knows how to respond after making a mistake, and he is one of the most clutch QB’s I’ve seen. He carries the team WITH the receivers. I’d like to see Leidner play the last three games with the same scenarios at the end, and see if we win any of those games with him trying to mount the comeback. I just don’t see it. I’ve never felt more at ease with our team going late into a game with the score close, than I do with Morgan at QB. Against GSU, I was almost sure we’d have a game saving drive at the end. The games where we were down with under 5 minutes left back under all the other coaching staffs we’ve had since Mason, I had basically counted those games as losses before they were over. Now I feel I don’t need to do that anymore.

Against GSU, I was almost sure we’d have a game saving drive at the end.

You’re funny. If your recollection is correct you were likely the only one in the stadium (or TV) with that thought whom wasn’t on the field.

Has there ever been a Minnesota QB that has had a higher winning game percentage than Tanner? Has there ever been a Minnesota QB that has had as high a QB rating?

My gut tells me that there has not been. The kid throws great passes at a high percentage. And, he has improved since last year. The rest of this conversation is meaningless to me. I am moving on to more interesting things.

Has there ever been a Minnesota QB that has had a higher winning game percentage than Tanner? Has there ever been a Minnesota QB that has had as high a QB rating?

My gut tells me that there has not been. The kid throws great passes at a high percentage. And, he has improved since last year. The rest of this conversation is meaningless to me. I am moving on to more interesting things.

Have we ever had a QB with so many game winning drives in the 4th qtr in their entire career let alone 1 season?

The most important thing out of all the things a QB must be good at is throwing a football accurately. Without this nothing else works. Tanner Morgan is maybe the best we have ever had at that. So while he has his limitations, he's going to be at a minimum good and potentially really good.

You’re funny. If your recollection is correct you were likely the only one in the stadium (or TV) with that thought whom wasn’t on the field.

Well, as usual, by the end of the 3rd Quarter a lot of our fans had already left (like the ****ty fans they are). And maybe I was the only one who thought that. All I know is I did think we’d do something to save the game in the last couple minutes

The Gophers had 3rd and 30 on their own 4 yard line in the waning moments and needing a TD. I honestly felt like there was a chance. That's the most impressive analytics I need on Captain Morgan.

Stat: NCAA quarterback ratings on third down this season:

1. Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma, 286.9
2. Tanner Morgan, #Gophers, 246.2
4. Joe Burrow, LSU, 217.0
9. Jake Fromm, Georgia, 193.5
10. Justin Fields, Ohio State, 191.1
11. Adrian Martinez, Nebraska, 186.3

https://twitter.com/andygreder/status/1177236367618772992?s=21

Boot camp is over. The real battle begins. If only the Offensive Line can start clicking on all cylinders...

After 4 games...

Rating: 202.1 - 4th in the country, behind Hurts, Burrow, and Tua

Yards per attempt: 11.6 - 3rd in the country behind Hurts and Burrow

Completion %: 73.4 - 11th in the country.

The most important thing out of all the things a QB must be good at is throwing a football accurately. Without this nothing else works. Tanner Morgan is maybe the best we have ever had at that. So while he has his limitations, he's going to be at a minimum good and potentially really good.

I thought it was the quality of the spiral he throws?

The most important thing considering his accuracy is his humbleness and leadership.

He is quietly improving game to game.

All Tanner Morgan does is be productive quietly. Sooner or later, some Gopher records will be eclipsed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Golden_Gophers_football_statistical_leaders

Career Passing Yards
1Adam Weber10,917
2-9......
10Tony Dungy3,515
...Tanner Morgan2,651
*396 yards vs Purdue ties for 7th best in a single game.*

Career Passing TD's
1Adam Weber72
2-8......
9Tony Dungy25
10Tanner Morgan22

Single Season Passing TD's