Gophers open -1 @ Purdue

This game is going to have a huge impact in terms of the optimism around this team. If we win, all of a sudden we are a 4-0 B1G team with a road B1G win, and I think the nonsense about our earlier wins not being by a big enough margin starts to die down.

On the other hand, if we lose, we give credence to everyone who said we aren't very good despite going 3-0, because after scraping by weak out of conference competition, we lost the first time we ran into a pretty weak conference opponent.

I feel like if it is an "ugly" win... still gonna be the same level of concern.

Maybe with some extremists. I think when you start talking B1G road games, the vast majority start to get in line with the notion that "a win is a win", in a way that they dont for mid major or FCS opponents.

Maybe with some extremists. I think when you start talking B1G road games, the vast majority start to get in line with the notion that "a win is a win", in a way that they dont for mid major or FCS opponents.

I guess I might be an extremist.

But then again who isn't labeled as one these days?

If we win close, shouldn't be

If we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot and pull out a win, questions will linger

I'd expect the line to creep up a bit in Minnesota's favor with Sindelar's uncertainty. Maybe Minnesota -3 or -4. Felt like he was probably going to play but now seems more 50-50.

I wouldn't expect to know for sure until kickoff but if Brohm does announce Plummer will for sure start then I'd expect the line to go to Minnesota -6 or -7.

Last edited:

the emergence of Demetrious Douglas last game was huge...we now have four legit wide receiver threats who have to be confident in what they can do...the Rock and Tanner have to have confidence in all four as well....

Morgan has to really confident after his battle tested, non-con clutch wins

if we are getting our top running backs healthy, the 30 point plus offense a lot of us expected could take up a step up to a 40 point plus offense

just need to get o-line playing like it was last year late season...

I think Rossi will have his group a little more aggressive and focused for Big Ten play

12-0 still on the table! 10-2 very doable...get to 5-0 versus Boilers and Illini, have a fun home atmosphere win vs Huskers with another ass kicking like last time PJ faced them at TCF...take care of business vs bad Rutgers team on road and year zero Maryland here...rest up and scheme in bye week and have a really fun November vs Penn State at home, a down NW on road, an Iowa offense that looks down, and then dominate Wisconsin again while they freeze in the shady side at the Bank!

the emergence of Demetrious Douglas last game was huge...we now have four legit wide receiver threats who have to be confident in what they can do...the Rock and Tanner have to have confidence in all four as well....

Morgan has to really confident after his battle tested, non-con clutch wins

if we are getting our top running backs healthy, the 30 point plus offense a lot of us expected could take up a step up to a 40 point plus offense

just need to get o-line playing like it was last year late season...

I think Rossi will have his group a little more aggressive and focused for Big Ten play

12-0 still on the table! 10-2 very doable...get to 5-0 versus Boilers and Illini, have a fun home atmosphere win vs Huskers with another ass kicking like last time PJ faced them at TCF...take care of business vs bad Rutgers team on road and year zero Maryland here...rest up and scheme in bye week and have a really fun November vs Penn State at home, a down NW on road, an Iowa offense that looks down, and then dominate Wisconsin again while they freeze in the shady side at the Bank!

I'll have what he's having....

It's been years since I bet much, but the rule-of-thumb used to be home field was worth 3 points (more in some places, but consistently at least 3). That would mean that anything at Purdue -3 is viewed as a coin-flip by the book.

I took a peek over at what I could find for Purdue boards and although things were fairly reasonable there was at least one guy that seemed to really have a chip on his shoulder. He was really upset the football board over here is named the 7 National Championships Football Forum. He sounded like a Wisconsin fan as he described they were in the distant past, but then added his own unique irony as he talked about Purdue having a winning record over the Gophers during the time he cares about, but failed to mention the Gophers hold a comfortable edge in the overall series with Purdue Football AND more recently with wins in 7 out of the last 10. Apparently the only history that matters is his sweet spot where Purdue has a winning record against the Gophers. What came before, and after that doesn't count.

There was also a spirited debate about how their non-conference schedule has been more impressive than the Gophers. Nevada was declared equal to Fresno State, and it was determined to be illegal to speak of Fresno State's good season last year.

LVI currently lists PU as -1....O/U 56 1/2

I took a peek over at what I could find for Purdue boards and although things were fairly reasonable there was at least one guy that seemed to really have a chip on his shoulder. He was really upset the football board over here is named the 7 National Championships Football Forum. He sounded like a Wisconsin fan as he described they were in the distant past, but then added his own unique irony as he talked about Purdue having a winning record over the Gophers during the time he cares about, but failed to mention the Gophers hold a comfortable edge in the overall series with Purdue Football AND more recently with wins in 7 out of the last 10. Apparently the only history that matters is his sweet spot where Purdue has a winning record against the Gophers. What came before, and after that doesn't count.

There was also a spirited debate about how their non-conference schedule has been more impressive than the Gophers. Nevada was declared equal to Fresno State, and it was determined to be illegal to speak of Fresno State's good season last year.

Nevada did beat a Big 10 school...

So I think Purdue has very little run game. I worry most about teams with a good run game, because our D-line and linebackers have been up and down so far. I think our secondary has been most impressive defensively so far. I do think they’ll be passing a lot. If it’s going to be with the backup QB, and us having Winfield back there, I see some great chances at a couple nice picks (maybe a pick 6). Sounds like Purdue’s secondary is pretty bad, and we have 2 amazing WR’s, 2 above average WR’s, and TE’s that haven’t been showcased at all yet. I think with Morgan’s accuracy, we should be able to burn them with our passing game. Now we have Brooks cleared to play. If Rodney is good to go, Brooks, and Ibrahim..I feel one of those three should be able to gash Purdue with the run. Even if our O-line is shaky again this Saturday, one of those three RB’s should be able to fight for their own yardage and make stuff happen. Ibrahim and Brooks are both pretty good at getting a couple, if not quite a few, yards after contact. I think people are projecting this game to be way closer than it will be. I’m going Gophs: 42 Boilermakers: 17 (for most of the game, with a late garbage TD to make it 24)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the word on their QB?

I just listened to a Purdue football podcast and they said he practiced on the Wednesday before the TCU game, but then had some sort of setback and hasn't practiced since. Tough break for him because he had too pretty special games through the air so far.

I think people are projecting this game to be way closer than it will be. I’m going Gophs: 42 Boilermakers: 17 (for most of the game, with a late garbage TD to make it 24)

I hope so. I've been to an away game for the last 5 years and we lost all of them --- I'd like to finally see a victory!

So I think Purdue has very little run game. I worry most about teams with a good run game, because our D-line and linebackers have been up and down so far. I think our secondary has been most impressive defensively so far. I do think they’ll be passing a lot. If it’s going to be with the backup QB, and us having Winfield back there, I see some great chances at a couple nice picks (maybe a pick 6). Sounds like Purdue’s secondary is pretty bad, and we have 2 amazing WR’s, 2 above average WR’s, and TE’s that haven’t been showcased at all yet. I think with Morgan’s accuracy, we should be able to burn them with our passing game. Now we have Brooks cleared to play. If Rodney is good to go, Brooks, and Ibrahim..I feel one of those three should be able to gash Purdue with the run. Even if our O-line is shaky again this Saturday, one of those three RB’s should be able to fight for their own yardage and make stuff happen. Ibrahim and Brooks are both pretty good at getting a couple, if not quite a few, yards after contact. I think people are projecting this game to be way closer than it will be. I’m going Gophs: 42 Boilermakers: 17 (for most of the game, with a late garbage TD to make it 24)

My fear is that while we "should" be able to run, we haven't shown we can against other teams we "should" be able to run against already...

I hope so. I've been to an away game for the last 5 years and we lost all of them --- I'd like to finally see a victory!

I'm 1-7 on road trips, lone win, last years Axe!

Gophers now back to 1 point favorites.

tenor.gif

I'm tempted to bet Purdue

I bet on Purdue last year, didn't work out for me. Never been so happy to lose $20

I bet on Purdue last year, didn't work out for me. Never been so happy to lose $20

If I were to bet on Purdue, it would purely be as a hedge against my frustration in case we lose. We are a better team, and I think we will show it on the field.

Please don’t go.

I have a similarly rough track record. Saw a win at Maryland in 2016, but other than that, I have traveled to losses at OSU, PSU, Michigan, and two Insight Bowls. Dont worry, I'll be watching this road game from home.

2 point favs now....Sindelar's status I'm guessing reason for swing.

You can shop this line and get a nice price for either side.

As of 4pm CST on Sept 24th:
Westgate LV: PK (-110)
WilliamHill: Minn -1 (-110)
Draftkings: Minn -1.5 (-110)
Pinnacle: Purdue -1 (-111)

I bet on Fresno when the Gophers were -3 for that game. Worked out pretty well getting a push and a win.

Top Bottom