Claeys-led WSU defense blows 32 point lead, gives up 67 to 0-3 UCLA at home

This is very simple. there is only so much success to go around. If Claeys' defense has too much success, then there might not be enough success left over for Fleck. So, if Claeys' defense fails, that means there is more success available for Fleck. Claeys fails - Fleck succeeds.

Did I get that right?

(and the truly wacky thing - I obviously meant that to be satirical. But I suspect that some people might actually agree with it......)

No, you missed it. It’s a defense of what the Minnesota AD did and a clap back at those who disagreed. But your point is spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have followed the Gophers since 1971. I'll take Claeys over any other DC we have had.

I saw my first Gopher game in 1968. I can assure you we have had several DC better than TC. In fact, we have one today who makes better adjustments. Plus far better recruiter.

I liked Claeys. He was a good DC. Maybe even really good. And I hope he has success at WSU. We fired him, he didn’t quit or trash us afterwards like Kill, so there is no reason to hate on him. But his reputation has gotten out of hand with some posters that selectively remember every game being like WSU. He had his share of clunkers and melt downs when he was here.

OP is a loyal Gopher fan. And an entertaining clown.

I saw my first Gopher game in 1968. I can assure you we have had several DC better than TC. In fact, we have one today who makes better adjustments. Plus far better recruiter.

Please name one right now since you know several- not after you scan through 12 websites to find one who had a single good year.

Oh- I’ll give you Rossi likely is a better recruiter but Claeys was lauded for bring an excellent halftime adjuster - as usual you’re full of cr@p

I liked Claeys. He was a good DC. Maybe even really good. And I hope he has success at WSU. We fired him, he didn’t quit or trash us afterwards like Kill, so there is no reason to hate on him. But his reputation has gotten out of hand with some posters that selectively remember every game being like WSU. He had his share of clunkers and melt downs when he was here.

There were his share of clunkers. But, despite those clunkers, he posted a 9-4 record, which you have to go back to Mason to match or beat. Dont know that we should be taking shots at his head coaching ability until our current coach tops his win total in a season at least once.

I have followed the Gophers since 1971. I'll take Claeys over any other DC we have had.

Ted Roof was good, and he has a great resume, including a national championship. Had Brewster been able to keep him around he may have lasted longer.

Ted Roof.

He had a single year with the Gophs- did you read my post? Maybe I wasn’t clear in insinuating no DC that spent any significant amount of time here was better than TC- at least not since before my time watching them (post ‘67).

Last edited:

If the Gophers gave up 67 points to a crappy UCLA team at home I would have serious questions about the DC and their game plan. That game was an embarrassment to both teams' defenses.

2018 Illinois (55), Nebraska (53), and Maryland (42) are just as bad as 2019 UCLA.
All 3 could have and would have scored more points if Minnesota had been closer and they had been in need of another 1-3 scores.

Last weekend was a bad game for TC
I don’t like TC
I would’ve dropped my seasons tickets if we brought TC back another year.
But let’s not rip on a guy too bad for giving up a ton of points.

Even Bluebloods are going to have games like that. See Bama getting whipped by Clemson, Ohio state getting whipped by Purdue, etc

2018 Illinois (55), Nebraska (53), and Maryland (42) are just as bad as 2019 UCLA.
All 3 could have and would have scored more points if Minnesota had been closer and they had been in need of another 1-3 scores.

Last weekend was a bad game for TC
I don’t like TC
I would’ve dropped my seasons tickets if we brought TC back another year.
But let’s not rip on a guy too bad for giving up a ton of points.

Even Bluebloods are going to have games like that. See Bama getting whipped by Clemson, Ohio state getting whipped by Purdue, etc
If the Gophers gave up 63 points to Washington State I would be questioning the DC coordinator and their game plan as well. That was my point that this was an embarrassing showing by both defenses. Didn't think I was being too hard on Claeys. With two Power 5 teams playing one another and any team giving up 60+ points in a game should have those in charge questioned.

Ted Roof was good, and he has a great resume, including a national championship. Had Brewster been able to keep him around he may have lasted longer.

Not sure how possible that was. Like Ted's issue might have been that oh man this brew guy is bonkers....

There were his share of clunkers. But, despite those clunkers, he posted a 9-4 record, which you have to go back to Mason to match or beat. Dont know that we should be taking shots at his head coaching ability until our current coach tops his win total in a season at least once.

We’ve been over this. Not a single one of those 9 was an “impressive” win. Luckily this year they all have been.

Remember this is the same guy that rips on people here for not attending games in cold weather, yet he fled the state of Minnesota for Arizona because he can't handle the weather. Yet another gem by him.

I was at the Indiana game. Were you?

CE780857-88A8-4370-B893-108A567AA7F3.jpg

Top Bottom