Claeys-led WSU defense blows 32 point lead, gives up 67 to 0-3 UCLA at home

highwayman

Knows Less Than Coaching Staff
Reaction score
Bummer. This is definitely Coyle's fault.

OOPS!!!

What was Mike Leach's post game interview like?

Last edited:

Considering TCs defense was responsible for 32 of the points while the offense and special teams were the root of 35 I’d say your thread title is typical for the crotchety tool that we have come to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OOPS!!!

What was Mike Leach's post game interview like?
Kfans postgame show was over before people could get to their car! With the new 30 mins only postgame show

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Leach is such a great coach, I so wish Minnesota would of pursued and offered him. Darn.

He is entertaining to listen to.

Considering TCs defense was responsible for 32 of the points while the offense and special teams were the root of 35 I’d say your thread title is typical for the crotchety tool that we have come to know.

Second half was still bad though. Their defense gave up TD drives of 75, 37, 94, 51, 70, and 26 yards in the 2nd half. Gave up over 14 yards a play on those TD drives.

Is the point of this thread to vent frustration that we are in year 3 and still waiting for our coach to match the level of success that Claeys had in his first and only full year as head coach here? I'm not sure I'm following the point that is being made.

Is the point of this thread to vent frustration that we are in year 3 and still waiting for our coach to match the level of success that Claeys had in his first and only full year as head coach here? I'm not sure I'm following the point that is being made.

Highwayman is a lunatic.

He is trying to somehow make a point that somehow Claeys defensive failures at WSU has any impact on whether or not Coyle was a snake during the Claeys/Fleck transition. Now, any sane person, regardless of where you stood on that subject would miss the connection. It's really dumb and misses the point. Like I said though, Highwayman is a lunatic.

The funny thing is, when Claeys was our defensive coordinator, if we happened to say something like "Do you think it could make sense for Claeys to get out of the prevent defense?" Highwayman's response would have been something like "They are the coaches. They knew best. Perioid."

I am not aware of the success you are talking about.

I’ve seen posts when he’s done well at WSU, what are the points of those? I think we all know he is an above average DC.

To put into perspective how crazy this was, UCLA still had 17 points, with 4:10 remaining in the 3rd Q. They scored 50 points in 19 minutes of clock time! I wonder if that’s some sort of record? It almost doesn’t seem possible. That’s 7 TDs.

To put into perspective how crazy this was, UCLA still had 17 points, with 4:10 remaining in the 3rd Q. They scored 50 points in 19 minutes of clock time! I wonder if that’s some sort of record? It almost doesn’t seem possible. That’s 7 TDs.

I had turned the game off until Twitter started blowing up.
UCLLLA was dead to rights.

Then instead of kicking like a 30 yard field goal to tie it. They went for it on 4th and 5 and failed to convert with less then 5 minutes left and still won the game. Just nuts.

This must mean he is bad at coaching defense. You are pretty smart and I am sure people in your life are impressed by you.

Remember this is the same guy that rips on people here for not attending games in cold weather, yet he fled the state of Minnesota for Arizona because he can't handle the weather. Yet another gem by him.

I have followed the Gophers since 1971. I'll take Claeys over any other DC we have had.

Everyone has a bad day. It's not like TC's defenses were always world beaters.

Bama loses football games too sometimes.

Guys - say what you want about Highwayman, but everyone is on his ignore list so he won’t see it.

This is very simple. there is only so much success to go around. If Claeys' defense has too much success, then there might not be enough success left over for Fleck. So, if Claeys' defense fails, that means there is more success available for Fleck. Claeys fails - Fleck succeeds.

Did I get that right?

(and the truly wacky thing - I obviously meant that to be satirical. But I suspect that some people might actually agree with it......)

If the Gophers gave up 67 points to a crappy UCLA team at home I would have serious questions about the DC and their game plan. That game was an embarrassment to both teams' defenses.

If the Gophers gave up 67 points to a crappy UCLA team at home I would have serious questions about the DC and their game plan. That game was an embarrassment to both teams' defenses.

If the Gophers gave up 67 to ANY team (including Bama and Clemson), home or away, this place would be inconsolable. If it was UCLA, there would be widespread calls for the entire coaching staff to be fired.

Last edited:

Not to nitpick, but the Wazzu defense did not give up 67 points. Check out the scoring summary and the play-by-play.

That being said, your main point is valid; they spit the bit, no question.

My guess the point is that Claeys is not a football god like some may think.

My guess the point is that Claeys is not a football god like some may think.

Mmmmm... 'football god'? Nope. He is definitely not that.

He did post a 9-4 season under difficult circumstances, though. And, unfortunately, that still stands as the record to beat. That being said, I think we may beat it, and quite soon.

I don't think picking out a single game is a fair criticism, especially against a team like Chip Kelly's.

Claeys has done a really good job as DC everywhere he's been. This one game doesn't change that.

He’s clapping back at all the people who thought Claeys should have been retained as head coach of the Gophers. Really isn’t too difficult to figure out.

I wonder what Tracey’s sister thinks? Maybe someone can dial her up?

Top Bottom