PJ Fleck Interview new - Sunday 9-22-19

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher FB coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle on WCCO Radio on Sunday.

Sid: how does the Bye week help you?
PJ: wanted to get healthy. we were able to do that. able to work on things we saw in the 1st three games that we needed to improve on. very productive. coaches got out recruiting.

Sid: surprised in WI and MI games?
PJ: I follow football, but just the scores. I'm worried about the Gophers. that's the only thing I'm focused on. I saw some scores. had some big match-ups. lot of teams were upset, a lot of teams won. don't really know how it happened - I was out recruiting.

Max: for guys on 3rd or 4th team, how do you keep them involved, develop them?
PJ: young kids need time - work on individual skill sets, drills we work on every day. they go run scout team. on Sundays we have a scrimmage and they play. after regular practice then we scrimmage. Our coaches are coaching them in our system.

Mona: you talked about self-scouting. what does that mean?
PJ: bye week is a time to reflect on yourself. look at your tendencies on offense and defense. what are we good at, what are we not good at. after three games we finally have data to evaluate. we spent a day and a half on ourselves. just ourselves. evaluate tendencies. evaluate the offense - evaluate the defense. how do we continue to get better?

Sid: will injured players be ready for Purdue?
PJ: got a lot of guys back. there are still some guys who are getting better. we should have the majority of them back

Sid: do you use the Bye week to install new things?
PJ: great opportunity to evolve. we kept things pretty simple for the 1st three games. we will continue to add to the game plan - determine what our players can handle. have to find that out. we are a different team this year. have to find out what can this team do well - how do we get everybody the football on offense? what are our strengths and weaknesses on offense, defense, special teams.

Mona: update on Brooks. tell us about recruiting
PJ: Shannon. we'll see. haven't got the official word yet. hope to have him back in 2 or 3 days. Recruiting: coaches left Thursday - went out to different places. got to go see some HS games. we were all over the country. excited about the progress we're making with the 2020 class, 2021. very productive week on the road. recruiting hard.

Sid: Can you use Bye week to correct problems?
PJ: have to find out what you're really good at. want to highlight the positives. at the same time, need to clean up the catastrophic mistakes. we did a good job of self-evaluation. we invested more time in that this year than we did last year.

Max: turnovers. how do you coach against it? scoop-and-score last week?
PJ: part of the game. it's inevitable. things happen. the ball is the program. we work on ball security, ball disruption every day. that's the biggest thing. when we're good with the ball, we're really good. that's where the 78% statistic comes from. we obsess about it. we've had some players who are high-profile make mistakes with the ball. we have to get that out of their system. we focus on it every single day. we've done it for the last three years- for the 7 years I've been a head coach. there are times when it happens - the question is how do they respond.

Mona: Tanner Morgan has been strong.
PJ: he's got a lot of room for improvement. we need to put him in the best situations that favor him. we've got a lot more data on him now. what he does well, doesn't do well. want to highlight the positives. eliminate weaknesses. he's a winner - tough - has the ability to respond. the team responds well to him, follows him.

Sid: changes in club? maybe some guys who didn't play well, move them out.
PJ: the Depth chart is constantly evolving. you have got to be able to perform on Saturday. we finally have competition. that's really good. how you play - how much you play in the following game is based on that. people create their own opportunities. we have to hold guys accountable.

Sid: it's great. no matter what people say, you're 3-0. wish you the best against Purdue. Murray's.
PJ: RTB, Ski-U-Mah, Go Gophers.

Thanks Son. Fleck seems to be a little concern and is not going overboard about anything. As a reader I like to hear great stories. Not getting that today like he normally would. Am I wrong here?

Thanks Son. Fleck seems to be a little concern and is not going overboard about anything. As a reader I like to hear great stories. Not getting that today like he normally would. Am I wrong here?

In general, PJ seems a bit different this year, from his interviews to his appearance on the sideline during games. I don't know what to make of it, if anything. But he seems a bit less ... I don't know, self-assured, perhaps.

Is it just me, or does anyone else pick up that vibe?

(Oh, and thanks, SON. Always appreciate these recaps.)

JTG

What I’ve noticed is that he doesn’t speak with as many Fleckisms in interviews as he used to. Maybe some of the mocking by the local media has finally gotten to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks SON.

I sensed the concern too. To me, he looked rattled in the GSU post game interview.

As the Offensive Line goes, so does that season. This is on top of other foibles.

On another note, 2021 recruit Lakeville 4-Star OT Riley Mahlman committing to Wisconsin is not the kind of news one likes to hear. The Gophers need to get lucky and get a couple of homerun OL commitments.

IF the OL continue to struggle, is PJ Fleck going to change his best on the OL coach? GAry Patterson at TCU has made numerous coaching changes at TCU.

Last edited:

He looked frazzled/worn out at the GSU presser. Fleckisms are down and that is a good thing.

In general, PJ seems a bit different this year, from his interviews to his appearance on the sideline during games. I don't know what to make of it, if anything. But he seems a bit less ... I don't know, self-assured, perhaps.

Is it just me, or does anyone else pick up that vibe?

(Oh, and thanks, SON. Always appreciate these recaps.)

JTG

I really believe that PJ is as miffed about his team after three games as his fan base is. And furthermore, I'm not sure he knows exactly what to do to fix it.

I think the Gophers outplayed all three of their opponents but self destructed with penalties and turnovers which has to frustrate the hell out of the coaching staff.

I hope PJ isn't toning it down.

I wanted to go to a bar and get in a fight and then have some difficult conversations after his speech when he showed up. I like that PJ.

Anyway what the hell sid.... I need to know about freshmen!

I have found PJ way more tolerable lately. Maybe these tough games have been a blessing after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pj has always said that once you get the players to live the culture it becomes a players team and not the coaches. I keep hearing Fleckisms from his players in the interviews. Somehow I find this more annoying than just coming from PJ.

Maybe I’m reading too much into to his comments about Morgan, but I’m not getting the impression they’re going to be opening things up any time soon. Sounds like we might see a different flavor of vanilla. I’m starting to get annoyed with this.

PJ: he's got a lot of room for improvement. we need to put him in the best situations that favor him. we've got a lot more data on him now. what he does well, doesn't do well. want to highlight the positives. eliminate weaknesses. he's a winner - tough - has the ability to respond. the team responds well to him, follows him.

Maybe I’m reading too much into to his comments about Morgan, but I’m not getting the impression they’re going to be opening things up any time soon. Sounds like we might see a different flavor of vanilla. I’m starting to get annoyed with this.

I think you are reading too much into it.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I think Fleck is talking slower and not as "salesy" is how I would put it.

On day 1 when he arrived he was 200 MPH.
He might be closer to the Minnesota speed limit now.

That could be attributed to age, maturity, quiet confidences, or worries.

Who knows.

I think over time he will only settle down more.
He's not as fast coming out of the tunnel as he was on day 1. Which is probably okay.

Player led team is probably good.

What you read here is why ZA was going to be the starter. No knock on TM. He is good and will get better.

Top Bottom