Bye bye Jimmy Harbaught

I'm a couple thousand miles away with no sources but, the AD quit unexpectedly, and now the USC Prez comes out and says he does not want Urban Meyer at his school....not squeaky clean in his eyes. (Are the two actions related?) So, the perfect spot for Urban is UCLA.

Also, in response to some of you....I don't think anybody including the thread maker is saying Harbaugh gets fired today or anytime during the season. Like I said, just beating THE Ohio State would calm down a lot of things but he's gotta win some he isn't supposed to and if you are Michigan....how many of those should there really be? Certainly today should not have qualified...I realize it did but again part of the problem...it is Michigan!

I'm pretty sure that I saw a clip of USC installing a new president yesterday on TV, and its a "she." She might have her own ideas about Urban.

Last edited:

I actually predicted JH would fail (on here). Not because he wasn’t a great coach prior but because it looked to me like he started thinking he was God. I equated it to Jimmy Johnson when he went to the Dolphins. Some elite coaches can keep the drive that made them elite - some lose their edge. It is a fine line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For P5 HCs, the odds are in your favor for that kind of "prediction".

His record at Michigan is 40–14 overall and 26–9 in B1G. More wins than the last two HC combined. Three of four years ranked inside top 15.

Yup. Way overblown.

Lost bad today.
But they’ll get no worse than third in the east this year IMO

Fire him at your own risk

I'm just glad we didn't get Brady Hoke. I never thought he was worth a crap, and he was rumored to be one of the front runners when Kill got hired.

Also, how much per win is JH being paid compared to PJ? I could look it up, but I'm lazy.

Right but it's Michigan. However realistic they are paying for 50 and 4 with losses to Alabama...not getting embarrassed by Wisconsin with two weeks to prepare.

It took you guys 15 years to not be embarrassed by Wisconsin, so maybe he's ahead of schedule.

It took you guys 15 years to not be embarrassed by Wisconsin, so maybe he's ahead of schedule.

JFC kid, go home.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/m745dTCAxerHa" width="355" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/nerd-m745dTCAxerHa"></a></p>

I don't understand it. Successful at USD, Stanford, and SF to completely mediocre at Michigan. His turnaround at Stanford was historic, I really don't know where Michigan goes from here.

Mediocre at Michigan? 40-15 with three 10-win seasons in five years...we should be so mediocre.

I know that Michigan fans are frustrated, and they should be. They're accustomed to better performances than that. But I think you overstate your case.

He would not be getting fired for the one game; but for this pattern. 40-14 is worthy of keeping the job when one of those wins is over OSU or he's shown to be competitive in these upper-echelon games. He is struggling.

We all know the pain of sucking at rivalry games. Losing to OSU one more time, after this blow-out, could put him out.

I don't understand it. Successful at USD, Stanford, and SF to completely mediocre at Michigan. His turnaround at Stanford was historic, I really don't know where Michigan goes from here.

I agree. I wanted maturi at the time to try and offer him the Brink's truck of $ to bring him to Mpls.

It doesn't make sense. I assumed he was a sure thing too. Now losing to Ohio State isn't a shame not is getting run over in Madison by Bucky. But the expectations are just so freaking high.

I think he'll keep his job as long as he doesn't lose to IL or Rutgers

he is 40-15 at Michigan

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If voters were to objectively look at results from weeks 1-4 and rank all of the teams for the first time, Wisconsin would absolutely be in everyone’s Top 5.

What's his record vs. top 15 teams? What is his average margin of loss in those games?

~Overall Record: 40-15
~vs. Ranked Opponents: 8-11
~Bowl Record: 1-3
~vs. Top-10 Teams: 1-9

~0-4 against Ohio State
~0-7 as an underdog
~1-6 on the road against ranked opponents

~Five losses by at least 21 points, including three of their last five games

Worth every penny if you’re not a Michigan fan.

At Stanford

• Overall Record: 29-21
• vs. Ranked Opponents: 6-6
• Bowl Record: 1-1
• vs. Top-10 Teams: 2-2

~Overall Record: 40-15
~vs. Ranked Opponents: 8-11
~Bowl Record: 1-3
~vs. Top-10 Teams: 1-9

~0-4 against Ohio State
~0-7 as an underdog
~1-6 on the road against ranked opponents

~Five losses by at least 21 points, including three of their last five games

Worth every penny if you’re not a Michigan fan.

At Stanford

• Overall Record: 29-21
• vs. Ranked Opponents: 6-6
• Bowl Record: 1-1
• vs. Top-10 Teams: 2-2

40-11 against everyone not named Ohio State
32-4 against unranked teams
39-6 against teams not ranked in the top 10

If he gets fired by Michigan, every team in the big ten outside of Ohio State and Wisconsin should look seriously to see if they could land him.

Michigan's offense is a complete mess. Wisconsin looks good, but I don't think they're unbeatable.

Yeah. Although I think Harbaugh is way underrated by people, it was a mistake to switch to their current OC short term.
We will see if it was smart long term or if They switch back to JH calling the offense.

He needs a big win versus a rival or quality team, but I don't think he is in as big of trouble as people want him to be.

He needs a big win versus a rival or quality team, but I don't think he is in as big of trouble as people want him to be.

I agree. He is still beating the people he is suppose to beat and I'm still expecting Michigan to beat the teams on the schedule not named OSU, Notre Dame, or Penn State. But I think they win the rest of their games. MSU and Iowa will be tough though so we will see but I'm not ready to predict losses in those games.

If he does start losing the games he is suppose to lose then I would expect his seat to get awfully warm but right now, I think it's an overreaction. I suppose it did take him double OT to beat Army.

I agree. He is still beating the people he is suppose to beat and I'm still expecting Michigan to beat the teams on the schedule not named OSU, Notre Dame, or Penn State. But I think they win the rest of their games. MSU and Iowa will be tough though so we will see but I'm not ready to predict losses in those games.

If he does start losing the games he is suppose to lose then I would expect his seat to get awfully warm but right now, I think it's an overreaction. I suppose it did take him double OT to beat Army.

If the played the Gophers this year and lost, he would be gone.

Losing to MN is an automatic firing for most Michigan coaches.

40-11 against everyone not named Ohio State
32-4 against unranked teams
39-6 against teams not ranked in the top 10

If he gets fired by Michigan, every team in the big ten outside of Ohio State and Wisconsin should look seriously to see if they could land him.

That's exactly why Michigan paid him all that money. To beat unranked teams, lose to Ohio St. every year, get blown out in bowl games, be winless as an underdog, and go 1-9 vs top 10 teams. They seem to be getting their money's worth don't they?

You're crazy if you think every BT team outside of OSU and WI would be interested in Jim Harbaugh. SOME might be interested at half his current salary.

If we look only at full and completed seasons as head coach, Harbaugh is only averaging half a win more per season at Michigan than Claeys did here. We fired our coach, I assume Michigan thinks they are at least half a game better than Claeys at MN.

If we look only at full and completed seasons as head coach, Harbaugh is only averaging half a win more per season at Michigan than Claeys did here. We fired our coach, I assume Michigan thinks they are at least half a game better than Claeys at MN.

I have never heard anyone suggest that his W/L record was a factor at all in that firing.

The Jim Harbaugh hot seat debate is entirely about not being able to compete with the top-tier teams in college football.

The country is catching on. After they fire Harbaugh(t), their first call will be to Claeys with an offer of $15MM /year.

Top Bottom