USC beat Utah

ComoGopher

Reaction score
That helps the Sagarin rating for our beloved rodents.

Fun game.

And definitely makes Fresno look better although I think USC probably has improved a bit.

Fun game.

And definitely makes Fresno look better although I think USC probably has improved a bit.

USC won with a 3rd string QB tonight I believe. I think they might just be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's almost no chance a PAC team gets CFP invite.

It almost certainly requires perfection, as it does from the ACC (which has an almost guaranteed path to that for Clemson).

Right now at least, Cal, Washington State, and Arizona State are perfect.

This is obviously biased to past results, and is completely naive of why people were predicting great things for them this year, but: I never believed Utah was going to do anything amazing this year. Didn't seem real.

It almost certainly requires perfection, as it does from the ACC (which has an almost guaranteed path to that for Clemson).

Right now at least, Cal, Washington State, and Arizona State are perfect.

There is no chance any of those 3 go unscathed. Washington (isn't it supposed to be their year every year?) and Utah could still win out and look good, but seems unlikely. This is probably better new for Georgia than the Big Ten.

This is obviously biased to past results, and is completely naive of why people were predicting great things for them this year, but: I never believed Utah was going to do anything amazing this year. Didn't seem real.

I'm with you on this...Utah is overrated. So is Texas. My sense is Auburn is as well.

This is why playing 9 conference games is insane.
If Cal upsets Ole Miss today, they might have a chance. But it is unlikely they get through Utah, USC, and ASU without a loss. If they were in the SEC, they would not be playing one of those three games.

If Cal upsets Ole Miss today, they might have a chance. But it is unlikely they get through Utah, USC, and ASU without a loss. If they were in the SEC, they would not be playing one of those three games.

All P5 conferences should be required to play 9 conference games.

All P5 conferences should be required to play 9 conference games.

By who though? The CFP committee clearly offers no preference for the additional conference game. CFP appearances per team (by conference):

8 conference games:
SEC 6 = .428
ACC 5 = .357

9 Conference games:
B1G Ten = .214
PAC 12 = .166

The SEC and ACC don't play 9 because they each have four teams that play each other (ACCvSEC), so forcing 9 would really be forcing 10 for those teams. Every other P5 plays 9 conf games. And many in the SEC and ACC schedule 9 P5 games anyway, like as you mentioned Miss scheduled Cal.

If Cal wins at an SEC team, on the road, in the southern heat, I think that makes them a very legit team. You're right though, they have a very tough slate to make it through undefeated.

By who though? The CFP committee clearly offers no preference for the additional conference game. CFP appearances per team (by conference):

8 conference games:
SEC 6 = .428
ACC 5 = .357

9 Conference games:
B1G Ten = .214
PAC 12 = .166

What about the Big XII (9 conf games)?

And of those selections for the ACC/SEC, how many of them played 9 (or more) P5 games total?

8 conference games:
SEC 6 = .428
ACC 5 = .357

9 Conference games:
B1G Ten = .214
PAC 12 = .166

Preference from the CFP is not my point. I suspect it would level the field if those conferences had to play another conference game.

What about the Big XII (9 conf games)?

The Big XII has fewer than the ACC and SEC too (though more than the Big Ten). I left them out originally because they are a weird conference post-realignment (few teams, no divisions, wide disparity, everyone plays each other, no CCG originally, now CCG is a rematch, etc).

Last edited:

Top Bottom