ESPN: Report: NCAA set to notify Kansas of violations

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Kansas is expected to receive a notice of allegations from the NCAA regarding alleged men's basketball recruiting violations that surfaced during a federal criminal trial last year, according to the Kansas City Star.

The latest development was expected after NCAA executive vice president Stan Wilcox said earlier this summer that at least six schools would receive notices of allegations, which are expected to include Level I allegations -- the most serious under NCAA rules.

It is unclear whether Jayhawks coach Bill Self will be charged with a coach control violation, which could result in his suspension for as long as one season.

Self, 56, has guided Kansas to at least a share of 14 consecutive Big 12 regular-season titles, three NCAA Final Four appearances and the 2008 NCAA championship. He was president of the National Association of Basketball Coaches in 2017-18.

Earlier this month, former Adidas consultant T.J. Gassnola was sentenced to probation and fined for his role in pay-for-play schemes to steer recruits to Kansas and other Adidas-sponsored schools.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...2997/report-ncaa-set-notify-kansas-violations

Go Gophers!!

Hmmm. Very interesting. A couple of high-level MN recruits might want to consider this information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They'll fight everything. The playbook is out there. Go the UNC route. Be completely shameless. As long as you get away with it, keep your scholarships, and keep your banners, then nothing else matters to these schools.

They'll fight everything. The playbook is out there. Go the UNC route. Be completely shameless. As long as you get away with it, keep your scholarships, and keep your banners, then nothing else matters to these schools.

Going the UNC route where they provided the same classes to some students in the general student body fell outside the domain of the NCAA. This one pertains to the recruiting benefits to players connected to the coaching staff. This is like the scum at Louisville, Louisville got hammered.

Going the UNC route where they provided the same classes to some students in the general student body fell outside the domain of the NCAA. This one pertains to the recruiting benefits to players connected to the coaching staff. This is like the scum at Louisville, Louisville got hammered.

You're right and wrong. UNC could have been hammered in many ways. The NCAA didn't have the balls to do it.

I honestly don’t know how that department didn’t lose their accreditation status. Sports completely aside.

You're right and wrong. UNC could have been hammered in many ways. The NCAA didn't have the balls to do it.

Believe me, they should have been but being a lawyer , when i read the whole report and the UNC defense found a hole that was not covered . The spent a ton of cash to weasel their way out.

I honestly don’t know how that department didn’t lose their accreditation status. Sports completely aside.

I agree. UNC as a school should have lost academic accreditation! If they will accept such meaningless classes towards degree fulfillment then they have no academic standards. They sacrificed the academic integrity of the school in order to escape cheating by their athletic department. That is totally inexcusable!

Such scum. They got accreditation probabation for one year after taking measures after the scandal was revealed.

I still have never figured out how that is since taking a fake class (whether or not other students can too) would make a player ineligible. Seems right square in the middle of ncaa domain to me.

I still have never figured out how that is since taking a fake class (whether or not other students can too) would make a player ineligible. Seems right square in the middle of ncaa domain to me.

It is foolish but the NCAA actually does not have a rule against a full department of fake classes. They do have a rule against a tutor doing the work which is what hammered Missouri. NCAA tried to hit UNC with improper benefits for athletes which was really a poor legal approach because those classes were available to the general student population. Airtight case for UNC. Really scum by UNC, gutless by the accreditation body, inept by the NCAA for not having the rule.

It is foolish but the NCAA actually does not have a rule against a full department of fake classes. They do have a rule against a tutor doing the work which is what hammered Missouri. NCAA tried to hit UNC with improper benefits for athletes which was really a poor legal approach because those classes were available to the general student population. Airtight case for UNC. Really scum by UNC, gutless by the accreditation body, inept by the NCAA for not having the rule.

Not at all an apology, just want to say this: I believe the NCAA was set up by the conferences to conduct national tournaments (in sports outside of football, which already had bowl games), and enforce recruiting rules (to catch cheaters, but not too often, just often enough). Certainly you want players to be in "good academic standing" at their school, to maintain athletic eligibility. But if you start going down the rabbit hole of telling schools how they must run their operations to ensure that .... eventually you wind up with the NCAA running every college in the nation. No one wants that.

Should the NCAA been able to hammer UNC because it did not prevent a rouge professor from offering no-show A's to athletes in a fake class? Yes, it should have been able to do that. Most people agree. But it can be a bit tricky how to word such a rule, given the previous paragraph. Tricky to write, and even trickier (and costly) to enforce.

Not at all an apology, just want to say this: I believe the NCAA was set up by the conferences to conduct national tournaments (in sports outside of football, which already had bowl games), and enforce recruiting rules (to catch cheaters, but not too often, just often enough). Certainly you want players to be in "good academic standing" at their school, to maintain athletic eligibility. But if you start going down the rabbit hole of telling schools how they must run their operations to ensure that .... eventually you wind up with the NCAA running every college in the nation. No one wants that.

Should the NCAA been able to hammer UNC because it did not prevent a rouge professor from offering no-show A's to athletes in a fake class? Yes, it should have been able to do that. Most people agree. But it can be a bit tricky how to word such a rule, given the previous paragraph. Tricky to write, and even trickier (and costly) to enforce.

Great post. We all know what right and wrong looks like and some just do not care. Cheaters cheat. This is why how you conduct yourself is the most important thing you do.

Anyone know the penalties for level 1 allegations?

Anyone know the penalties for level 1 allegations?

yep. no self control. usually comes with harsh penalties. looks like KU will fight it:
"In the meantime, though, it is already clear from an initial review that the University will fiercely dispute in detail much of what has been presented." should be entertaining

yep. no self control. usually comes with harsh penalties. looks like KU will fight it:
"In the meantime, though, it is already clear from an initial review that the University will fiercely dispute in detail much of what has been presented." should be entertaining

UNC 2.0.

Why the show of putting them on notice then? Just to let people know they are still here? lol

When is the last time the NCAA served a blue blood a notice ! Think carefully if you say UNC.

For basketball I would say Kentucky in the 90s. Edit, forgot about Indiana in the 00s.

Regarding others fearing this is a repeat of NC, I do not see it that way. Syracuse & Louisville while not "blue bloods" are pretty high up on the food chain have gotten slapped with sanctions. Football USC & Ohio St have also been been handed penalties.

Last edited:

Why the show of putting them on notice then? Just to let people know they are still here? lol

Obviously Kansas is a blue blood, but in my opinion, the NCAA definitely views them as below the holy trinity of college basketball: Duke, UNC, and Kentucky. The NCAA has shown (nowadays) that they won't touch those three programs, but if they can push around Kansas (and possibly Arizona), then it will look like the NCAA isn't playing favorites... in hopes that this will scare the living daylights out of all non-blue bloods.

Now whether they actually give Kansas the full punishment it deserves is anyone's guess, but the NCAA is hoping this makes them look tough.

I agree. UNC as a school should have lost academic accreditation! If they will accept such meaningless classes towards degree fulfillment then they have no academic standards. They sacrificed the academic integrity of the school in order to escape cheating by their athletic department. That is totally inexcusable!

Nailed it.

I just laugh at this. If guilty, a lifetime ban for Self and a 5 year postseason ban on the university should be the penalty. They will fight it though and maybe take down a banner or two.

UNC should have been told to do the same. That said, they are just taking advantage of the NCAA to fight themselves out of it. U of M should have done the same thing with Clem. Instead, they bent
over and let the NCAA hammer them into nothingness. It was their surrender that doomed this program several years ago.

Do you think kids care if these schools pays their kids when deciding to go there? Heck no, if anything, they are looking for it. Don't expect anything to change until the NCAA gets tough on this. They will keep
picking winners and losers to fill their pockets and do what is best for them and the level of play in college basketball period.

Top Bottom