ESPN: Report: NCAA set to notify Kansas of violations

I just laugh at this. If guilty, a lifetime ban for Self and a 5 year postseason ban on the university should be the penalty. They will fight it though and maybe take down a banner or two.

UNC should have been told to do the same. That said, they are just taking advantage of the NCAA to fight themselves out of it. U of M should have done the same thing with Clem. Instead, they bent
over and let the NCAA hammer them into nothingness. It was their surrender that doomed this program several years ago.

Do you think kids care if these schools pays their kids when deciding to go there? Heck no, if anything, they are looking for it. Don't expect anything to change until the NCAA gets tough on this. They will keep
picking winners and losers to fill their pockets and do what is best for them and the level of play in college basketball period.

Most accurate and best post in the history of Gopherhole.

Well done.

excusesrforlosers

levelplayingfield

Most accurate and best post in the history of Gopherhole.

Well done.

excusesrforlosers

levelplayingfield

Here is the transcript of some of the text messages:

Gassnola texted the following to Self: “In my mind it’s KU bill self. Everyone else fall into line , to (expletive) bad, that’s what’s right for adidas Basketball. And I know Iam RIGHT. The more you win, have lottery pics. And you happy. That’s how it should work in my mind.”

Self responded: “That’s how ur (sic) works. At unc and Duke”

Gassnola: “Kentucky as well”

Gassnola: “I promise you. I got this , I have never let you down Except (Dyondre) lol"

I would like to see them hammer Kansas hard for this. Also think they should go after the other cheaters like Coach K, the slimebucket at Kentucky and also tight shirt Roy Williams.
They are all cheaters and it can all be proven. Level this thing out and take away the unfair advantage these blue bloods have when they are able to funnel bunches of money to recruits.

Either let everyone pay them, or no one pay them. It isn't right to let a few get away with it and hammer everyone else.

Gassnola texted the following to Self: “In my mind it’s KU bill self. Everyone else fall into line , to (expletive) bad, that’s what’s right for adidas Basketball. And I know Iam RIGHT. The more you win, have lottery pics. And you happy. That’s how it should work in my mind.”

Self responded: “That’s how ur (sic) works. At unc and Duke”

Gassnola: “I promise you. I got this , I have never let you down Except (Dyondre) lol"

I would like to see them hammer Kansas hard for this. Also think they should go after the other cheaters like Coach K, the slimebucket at Kentucky and also tight shirt Roy Williams.
They are all cheaters and it can all be proven. Level this thing out and take away the unfair advantage these blue bloods have when they are able to funnel bunches of money to recruits.

Either let everyone pay them, or no one pay them. It isn't right to let a few get away with it and hammer everyone else.

Second best post ion the history of GH.

You will never convince the holier than thou GH royalty that there is an unlevel playing field and that it truly does impact non blue blood programs.

Self responded: “That’s how ur (sic) works. At unc and Duke

Wait!!!!!

K does not cheat and is the most wonderful coach!!!!! Right built?

It is foolish but the NCAA actually does not have a rule against a full department of fake classes. They do have a rule against a tutor doing the work which is what hammered Missouri. NCAA tried to hit UNC with improper benefits for athletes which was really a poor legal approach because those classes were available to the general student population. Airtight case for UNC. Really scum by UNC, gutless by the accreditation body, inept by the NCAA for not having the rule.

How exactly did you come up with this? If they were taking sham classes....I would think that would make their players ineligible regardless of whether there is a specifically worded rule against fake classes.

How exactly did you come up with this? If they were taking sham classes....I would think that would make their players ineligible regardless of whether there is a specifically worded rule against fake classes.

Fake classes = OK.

Fake papers = Not OK.

If the sham classes were available only to athletes, the situation would have been different. UNC exploited a loophole by making those sham classes available to all students.

If the sham classes were available only to athletes, the situation would have been different. UNC exploited a loophole by making those sham classes available to all students.

So an athlete is still eligible if another non-athlete student also takes the fake class. Got it. [emoji2357]Not sure where this world is headed with that logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So an athlete is still eligible if another non-athlete student also takes the fake class. Got it. [emoji2357]Not sure where this world is headed with that logic.

I'm not defending UNC, but I can see why it would be hard for the NCAA to punish a team for allowing players to take a class that is available to every student at an accredited university. Clearly it's BS that those players were allowed to be in such easy classes as I'm sure they were intended to give the athletics programs an advantage, so I get the frustration, but I'm not sure how you would define/enforce rules against it. It's easy if the classes are only available to athletes, but more complicated when any student can take the class.

I'm not defending UNC, but I can see why it would be hard for the NCAA to punish a team for allowing players to take a class that is available to every student at an accredited university. Clearly it's BS that those players were allowed to be in such easy classes as I'm sure they were intended to give the athletics programs an advantage, so I get the frustration, but I'm not sure how you would define/enforce rules against it. It's easy if the classes are only available to athletes, but more complicated when any student can take the class.

I read somewhere that these fake classes being available to all students was only a formality. Athletes would obviously be given the first chance to sign up for these classes (and most were directed to them by advisers), and IF there was anything left over, UNC would theoretically keep seats open to general students when they were allowed to sign up for the semester, but open seats were very rare.

These absolutely were designed for athletes, but UNC knew the loophole would work. Just bullsh$t. Accreditation should be completely stripped...

I read somewhere that these fake classes being available to all students was only a formality. Athletes would obviously be given the first chance to sign up for these classes (and most were directed to them by advisers), and IF there was anything left over, UNC would theoretically keep seats open to general students when they were allowed to sign up for the semester, but open seats were very rare.

These absolutely were designed for athletes, but UNC knew the loophole would work. Just bullsh$t. Accreditation should be completely stripped...

I don't doubt that at all.

This is an affront to reason and common sense. It’s not permissible to provide athletes special privileges that other students can’t access. Athletes can’t stay eligible if they take fake classes. Mash those two ideas together and we’re supposed to swallow that athletes can take fake classes and stay eligible as long as those fake classes are available to non-athletes? And the NCAA wonders why the have a credibility problem with fans.

Spot on.

That was a complicated situation. There's no way the NCAA could have levied any punishment against UNC without opening a can of worms far above their pay grade.

Spot on.

That was a complicated situation. There's no way the NCAA could have levied any punishment against UNC without opening a can of worms far above their pay grade.

So then, their job is to pick and choose "cans of worms". Just like they pick and choose winners and losers.

#excusesareforlosers

It’s not about athlete privilege, it’s about academic eligibility. And it should not be difficult to punish an athletic team whose school is not adhering (especially knowingly) to its accreditation regardless of any bias towards athletes, while the whole remaining body of ncaa schools adheres.

It’s not about athlete privilege, it’s about academic eligibility. And it should not be difficult to punish an athletic team whose school is not adhering (especially knowingly) to its accreditation regardless of any bias towards athletes, while the whole remaining body of ncaa schools adheres.

This. NCAA shouldnt have a problem holding student athletes to a certain standard. They do it for enrollment; some athletes dont make the cut but could still attend the school if they wanted)

So then, their job is to pick and choose "cans of worms". Just like they pick and choose winners and losers.

#excusesareforlosers

They stick to the rules and policies they have in place. Punishing UNC would have involved creating an entirely new set of rules to monitor something that is way beyond the scope of what the NCAA does.

There are lots of reasons to hate on the NCAA. The UNC situation isn’t one of them. Be mad at the school for finding a loophole.

This is an affront to reason and common sense. It’s not permissible to provide athletes special privileges that other students can’t access. Athletes can’t stay eligible if they take fake classes. Mash those two ideas together and we’re supposed to swallow that athletes can take fake classes and stay eligible as long as those fake classes are available to non-athletes? And the NCAA wonders why the have a credibility problem with fans.

I'd also say it isn't permissible to provide athletes with special privileges (fake classes) even if other students are allowed access and goes against common sense but the ncaa didn't see it thatway. It isn't about being fair to other students in that school, it's not fair to the other schools that don't have fake classes in the ncaa.

They stick to the rules and policies they have in place. Punishing UNC would have involved creating an entirely new set of rules to monitor something that is way beyond the scope of what the NCAA does.

There are lots of reasons to hate on the NCAA. The UNC situation isn’t one of them. Be mad at the school for finding a loophole.

They could still have slapped them with lack of control etc. Letting them off with nothing was a joke.

It is a known fact in the Big 12 (at least to an assistant coach that I talked to) that Kansas has the inside track on several AAU programs because they are willing to pay the “contact” fee - some at least $10,000 - to receive permission to talk to the athlete and/or his guardians before the legal contact dates. Hopefully the NCAA throws the book at them.

Yeah I noticed that too, Self clearly does not care at this point

The UNC precedent had to give him a lot of confidence. He perhaps should be concerned that his KU franchise is not nearly as valuable as the UNC branch of NCAA, Inc. I'm still boiling about UNC. If Self and KU intimidate the NCAA the way the Tar Heels and Roy did, I'll be in need of coronary care.

More evidence that the whole system is decaying from the inside out, and it could fall much more quickly than most of us who are part of it because we like basketball think. My sympathies lie with the 90% of programs and players who don't cheat and aren't there to cash in, but play the game they enjoy and get an education. They will be the ones to get most burned when the system crashes.

Kansas not slowing down on pulling out all the stops

Funny that they're so connected to the hip hop world that they call him Snoop Doggy Dogg, a stage name he hasn't used since 1998 when he shortened his name to Snoop Dogg because of contractual issues with Death Row Records. So KU is only 20+ years behind the curve, which sounds about right for that school and state.

Funny that they're so connected to the hip hop world that they call him Snoop Doggy Dogg, a stage name he hasn't used since 1998 when he shortened his name to Snoop Dogg because of contractual issues with Death Row Records. So KU is only 20+ years behind the curve, which sounds about right for that school and state.

Just like it will likely take the NCAA 20 years to enforce some penalties on them

Is this what they call in the business a big “F you” to the NCAA? Hard not to chuckle at the very frontal Adidas slant.

At least he is wear a shirt from the people who pay him!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Everyone saying that the NCAA couldn't do anything....and there was no rule against this forget what the NCAA is. NCAA can do whatever they want. UNC got off on an EXTREME technicality. The NCAA could have easily slapped them with anything. And it should have been harsh. UNC certainly isn't bigger than the NCAA. And I highly doubt that enough schools would back UNC on this.

The NCAA didn't do anything because of money. It's good for them when they are on top with Duke.

Everyone saying that the NCAA couldn't do anything....and there was no rule against this forget what the NCAA is. NCAA can do whatever they want. UNC got off on an EXTREME technicality. The NCAA could have easily slapped them with anything. And it should have been harsh. UNC certainly isn't bigger than the NCAA. And I highly doubt that enough schools would back UNC on this.

The NCAA didn't do anything because of money. It's good for them when they are on top with Duke.

Yes, still difficult for me to think a less prominent school pulling the same nonsense would have gotten off scot- free.
Im not a lawyer, but spirit of the rules was certainly violated at least and hard for me to imagine ncaa woyldnt have tried to make some penalty stick if a "lesser" school. Why not at least make the ATTEMPT at a penalty. Maybe there is a reason, but ain't seeing it.

Last edited:

Yes, still difficult for me to think a less prominent school pulling the same nonsense would have gotten off scot- free.
Im not a lawyer, but spirit of the rules was certainly violated at least and hard for me to imagine ncaa woyldnt have tried to make some penalty stick if a "lesser" school. Why not at least make the ATTEMPT at a penalty. Maybe there is a reason, but ain't seeing it.

Also, even if unc wins in court, their brand takes a serious hit with all the additional negative publicity and ncaa maintains a modicum of integrity.

Top Bottom