The Most Underwhelming Team in the B1G

Gophers probably aren't the most underwhelming of the 14 teams, but the body of the analysis is mostly accurate. They have been underwhelming and do risk winding up right back at 6-6. I think the article does underrate the quality of the Fresno win and how the Gophs statistically dominated GSU.

You don't need to use that snarky sarcasm to make a point. <b>Just tell me what you think next time.</b>

Isn’t that what I have been doing? Not sure I have ever been accused of being subtle on here before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I would agree that the way we won the games may very well prepare us better for B1G play - but that isn’t my point at all. We aren’t discussing the final result this year or if the NC games will prepare us better. We are discussing how we looked in the first 3 games.

This pessimist predicted a 9-win season before the year and still think we can do that. We most likely needed to start 3-0 to get there and I’m glad we are 3-0. Let’s be honest tho, we have been very underwhelming. If we play like we did in (pick 1 of the 3) who would we beat in the B1G other than maybe Rutgers?

I’m not saying we will continue to play that way. In fact, I doubt we will. I would be shocked if we didn’t play far better starting next weekend after the bye. But I’m not about to be bothered by a media member calling a spade a spade nor do I buy into this idea that a “real fan” is always positive about the team. So Minnesotan.

I don't know how anyone can argue with Spoofin on this. We have been underwhelming. But we are 3-0. And it's hard not to like the fact that this team was able to get its act together in time to win each game.

I also thought this was going to be somewhere around a nine-win season. And while what I've seen hasn't left me bursting with confidence, I have no doubt we're still capable of a nine-win season.

JTG

I don't know how anyone can argue with Spoofin on this. We have been underwhelming. But we are 3-0. And it's hard not to like the fact that this team was able to get its act together in time to win each game.

I also thought this was going to be somewhere around a nine-win season. And while what I've seen hasn't left me bursting with confidence, I have no doubt we're still capable of a nine-win season.

JTG

I don't think anyone is arguing that the Gophers have been underwhelming. But several of us want to know how the Gophers have been more underwhelming than other B1G teams with losses.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the Gophers have been underwhelming. But several of us want to know how the Gophers have been more underwhelming than other B1G teams with losses.

And others have explained why they think that. You don’t agree. Noted.

I'd pick Michigan as most underwhelming. Picked as a potential playoff contender and they've just looked like they aren't even interested in playing

And others have explained why they think that. You don’t agree. Noted.

You're right, I don't agree a team that's 3-0 is just as underwhelming as a team that's 1-2. Especially when Purdue's losses were against a Mountain West team that's worse than the one we played, and were blown out by a TCU team that was average at best last season, and is starting a true Freshman QB.

You're right, I don't agree a team that's 3-0 is just as underwhelming as a team that's 1-2. Especially when Purdue's losses were against a Mountain West team that's worse than the one we played, and were blown out by a TCU team that was average at best last season, and is starting a true Freshman QB.

What will our win margin be vs this horrible team. Please note I have no idea and am waiting on more data.

Oh, OK. I guess I'm just far less concerned about what somebody in the media says or writes.

When I was in high school, I spent my summers working at a vegetable canning plant. (6 p.m. to 4 a.m., six nights a week. I earned an extra dollar a day for working the overnight. :p) A short time later, I started a 20-year stint (I won't call it a career) in journalism.

Ever since I haven't been able to open a can of food or a newspaper (or website) and enjoy it because I know how all that crap got in there.

Believe me, very few people working in any facet of the media have any special insight. Taking issue with a media member for an inane comment is like taking issue with a dog for barking or a pig for squealing.

JTG

"I’m no longer optimistic Minnesota has any chance of contending in the West. Even with a favorable crossover schedule that doesn’t include Ohio State, Michigan or Michigan State, the Golden Gophers are struggling right now in ways that we didn’t think an experienced team would. If Minnesota continues to play this way, it will be right back at 6-6 or 7-5, even with a great schedule lined up."

------

Hmmm... "if Minnesota continues to play this way..."

How, exactly, has Minnesota been playing? Let's analyze a little more thoroughly...

Despite shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly, and even though they've played down to their competition, Minnesota has kept their composure and rallied to win three times in three games. They've made mistakes, but they have overcome them 100% of the time.

Take that into careful consideration, and then tell me that the Gophers will win only 2 or three more games "if they continue to play this way" ... which is exactly what this writer is predicting.

------

"But this is college football. Style points matter."

------

Nah. Screw your 'style points'; I'll take the wins.
The OL is the biggest concern at this point and we need to see significant improvement in the Purdue game.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I think the most underwhelming team is Michigan, after what has happened in the first half of this game.

Believe me, very few people working in any facet of the media have any special insight. Taking issue with a media member for an inane comment is like taking issue with a dog for barking or a pig for squealing.

JTG

This is one of the more insightful comments I've read in awhile. I enjoyed that. Thank you!

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

Believe me, very few people working in any facet of the media have any special insight. Taking issue with a media member for an inane comment is like taking issue with a dog for barking or a pig for squealing.JTG

Really?

I've been told — repeatedly and vehemently — that sportswriters know more about the overall college football picture than the coaches do, and therefore writer's polls are more accurate than coach's polls.

Really?

I've been told — repeatedly and vehemently — that sportswriters know more about the overall college football picture than the coaches do, and therefore writer's polls are more accurate than coach's polls.

Really? By who?

That has accurately predicted 5 of 6 of Purdue and Minnesota's games so far.

so we'll be 3-6 in the B1G with wins over Northwestern, Purdue, and Rutgers, and losses to Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Nebraska, Penn State, and Wisconsin. Got it.

From handling WI to seeing the direction WI has gone while we've had three narrow victories.

Easy to see why we are underwhelming.
Not a shock.

3-0. Just win Baby! Don't give a sh** how you win. Haters gonna hate.

so we'll be 3-6 in the B1G with wins over Northwestern, Purdue, and Rutgers, and losses to Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Nebraska, Penn State, and Wisconsin. Got it.

Let’s hope not. I’ve never said it’s 100% accurate.

From handling WI to seeing the direction WI has gone while we've had three narrow victories.

Easy to see why we are underwhelming.
Not a shock.

Yeah.
Wisconsin underachieved last year. They’re playing like their 2018 preseason rating

Top Bottom