Greenberg: 50 former basketball players still in transfer portal with nowhere to go

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

So once they enter portal, if not signed by another team they cannot rejoin their original team if there are still scholarships available? Don't get me wrong it would be awkward to rejoin your team after requesting a transfer, but it would still beat being on no team at all.

So once they enter portal, if not signed by another team they cannot rejoin their original team if there are still scholarships available? Don't get me wrong it would be awkward to rejoin your team after requesting a transfer, but it would still beat being on no team at all.

It goes to show how unique it was for Pitino to let Stockman play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I understand it, a school no longer has an obligation to honor a scholarship for a player once that player enters the transfer portal. They can certainly take a player back if they would like. But they don't have to. And clearly many of the schools choose not to.

Well, the players in the portal who have had no takers may have to re-assess their skill level. If they were on a D1 roster, they must have some talent. Just not enough for another power-conference team to want them.

If they really want to play basketball, I have to think there are lower-level schools that would give them an opportunity. Unless there are red flags on their resume - possibly the same red flags that led to no takers after entering the portal.

I just don't think that you've got a bunch of bona-fide solid D1 players who for some nefarious reason are not getting offers. There is a reason for everything. They may just have to look at low-level D1 or DII schools if they want to play badly enough.

First schools need an opening. Then if they aren't grad transfers you gotta give this guy a scholarship for two years minimum. That's going to cause some hesitation most places. They has to have some talent and if they have any issues, real or perceived, you'll probably pass. We have an open scholarship, I believe...so I doubt this available group is news to our staff.

“I am in limbo, and in limbo there are no races, no prizes, no changes, no chances. There are merely degrees of endurance, and endurance never was my strong point.”

― Keri Hulme
The state of uncertainty or as the Temptations like to say:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb8JZ5wQGKI

Top Bottom