Fake Kneel

Both sides did stand up and play patty-cake. It's not like the Oline blew off the line in this play and just pancaked the whole defense.

Like I said why not just remove every trick play then? If your punter is out there you have to punt. If your field goal kicker is out there you have to kick. Wildcat? you have to run can't throw it!

This play was genius and somewhat executed, should have been a TD if done properly.

Should we take the fake spike out of football too?
I agree with this 100%

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you watch their D-line they actually went at it right away. In fact, every defensive player was moving at the snap, not just standing up like you see on a kneel down. I actually think they were expecting something. They had a safety darn near in the end zone - you don't do that for a kneel down. I just think they played it poorly.

High school has a rule in place for plays of deception that become unsportsmanlike conduct. You can still do trick plays, but you cannot deceive in a way that is not common to the game. For example, you can't have a player act like something is wrong signaling to the bench for help and then snap the ball.

This play is interesting in that it's a formation in which teams kneel down 99% of the time. Now if they just lined up in the formation and ran, it's one thing, but if the QB or players are verbally saying they are taking a knee, it would be an issue.

Bingo.

Schiano was destroyed in the media for doing that. I mean, just obliterated. And that's why this play was bush league - the defense can't do anything to stop it.

Right. And it’s a travesty. We all feel horrible for poor Greg Schiano.

His team was also losing by a bunch of points, not tied and playing in what was clearly a still undecided game.

I hope the people objecting to this play aren’t the same ones with rejection letters from Tulane.

I don't think it should be banned but if you do it once you should expect every defense that ever plays against you to try to get to the QB on every kneel play. Even if many years down the road their star QB gets hurt badly by a defensive lineman on a real kneel play, they would have no right to complain or look for a flag.

What I really hope doesn't happen is that teams get penalized for playing through until they're sure they've heard the whistle. If that happens there's no good way to defend against this because you risk either letting them get the trick play off or getting a penalty or worse on a normal kneel play. Pretty much the same as what is happening in the NFL now with players faking going out of bounds where defensive players are afraid to touch them and it leads to embarrassing football.

Right. And it’s a travesty. We all feel horrible for poor Greg Schiano.

His team was also losing by a bunch of points, not tied and playing in what was clearly a still undecided game.

I hope the people objecting to this play aren’t the same ones with rejection letters from Tulane.

You are so far away from the point that you're barely in the same area code. I'm not surprised.

Right, the DL blows up the OL the next time someone lines up in a victory formation, and they get unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, bad-mouthed in the media, and the coach takes a hit to his reputation while being called dirty. Yes, great point.

Spot on, as usual.

At reading all these posts I found myself changing my mind from time to time. By the end I decided that a fake is a fake and if you want to do it go for it. Onside kicks etc. that happen when not expected are part of the game. However I agree that the refs had better not call penalties on the defense as they don't know when a fake is going to come. Unfortunately part of it is sportsmanship that will go out the window as you may plow into someone when you shouldn't, yet you didn't know if it was going to be a fake or not. Tough one, but you'll have to play it out.

Top Bottom