Interesting STrib read: Dwindling youth pipeline puts Minneapolis football on edge

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jim:

The number of players on the field for any Minneapolis South football practice can vary, from the low 30s to a possible 40 or more, but never reaches the full 49 listed on the official roster.

“Forty-seven now,” said coach Rodney Lossow. “We had two more kids quit.”

Participation in Minneapolis Park Board football has declined significantly and tackle football at Minneapolis middle schools has dried up. And the effects are being felt by high school teams.

Most suburban teams inherit a large percentage of their players from community youth programs. Those players often come equipped with a basic knowledge of football: positioning, technique, verbiage. Basic fundamentals.

But in the city, many are recruited by coaches simply through perceived athleticism. Often, the high school program is their first exposure to the rigors of football.

With already limited rosters, Minneapolis high school football coaches are frequently left shorthanded, without viable substitutes in game situations.

“A good 30 percent of our roster is new to football,” said Roosevelt coach Adam Flanders, who is in his eighth season at the school. “They help with numbers and roster size but they aren’t really able to help you on the field. Too often, you’re putting in a player who’s had just two games and 15 practices in his life.”

http://www.startribune.com/dwindling-youth-pipeline-puts-minneapolis-football-on-edge/560837172/

Go Gophers!!

There are some very good/talented youth football programs in the city. Well, off the top of my head I know of one, but I assume there are more.

Do these kids transfer out of MPS teams to play elsewhere? Or perhaps they all try to get into Washburn's team?

South has a new field, which is nice. Roosevelt's field is also actually very nice. But I don't think either of those squads have had a DI level player in quite some time? Or won the Mpls conference (which I guess is now defunct in football, it's all MSHSL-dictacted districts)?

Don't forget about North. The Polars have produced D1 players and competed for state titles in recent years.

There are some very good/talented youth football programs in the city. Well, off the top of my head I know of one, but I assume there are more.

Do these kids transfer out of MPS teams to play elsewhere? Or perhaps they all try to get into Washburn's team?

South has a new field, which is nice. Roosevelt's field is also actually very nice. But I don't think either of those squads have had a DI level player in quite some time? Or won the Mpls conference (which I guess is now defunct in football, it's all MSHSL-dictacted districts)?

Wasn't Hageman from Roosevelt? I'm probably wrong. To lazy to look it up too. :(

EDIT: Nevermind. I remember. It was Washburn. (Facepalm emoji)

Last edited:

I played 9-Man football in high school. We were allowed 27 players, I think we might have had about 22. I would have thought in the city there would have been more people who wanted to play than available roster spots.

Most current residents of the City of Minneapolis are disinterested in football in general. I’ll bet less 10% have been to a game since HS, and many never have. Check out the demographics in the Roosevelt area. Many residents don’t even know football at all.

Top Bottom