Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 42
  1. #16

    Default

    I like it!

    Two suggestions, FWIW:

    1) Instead of having each lineman's average represented by a horizontal line, how about just two horizontal lines: one each for the team RER in rushing and pass blocking. That way we can see where a particular player elevated (or brought down) the team average.

    2) Is it possible to stack these, instead of placing them side-by-side? I like my graphics like I like my linemen: the bigger the better.

    Thanks for doing these! They're a most welcome contribution.

    JTG


  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The wrong place
    Posts
    2,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by los venerables View Post
    This is great. I especially like the use of the tenths of a percent to show how precise the measurement is. You'd never know that Minnesota is 12th in the conference in rushing yards per game or 13th in yards per rush. Or 14th in sacks allowed per game as well as tackles for loss allowed per game. But hey, what do those "facts" mean when you've got 4 different guys above "all conference" in one discipline or another?
    It's fun to be sarcastic sometimes, but it's rarely productive.

    Rockford, whether you appreciate his efforts or not, grades Dunlap as miserably below average at run blocking and both Dunlap and Schleuter and Dunlap as barely competent at pass blocking. It only takes one weak link to break a chain, right?
    Iím a light eater. As soon as itís light, I start to eat. And I'm on a seefood diet. If I can see food, I'll eat it.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Fargo
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Am I the only one who noticed Rockford say he was receiving CPR during one of the games? Rockford is all good man?

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The wrong place
    Posts
    2,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tmvander View Post
    Am I the only one who noticed Rockford say he was receiving CPR during one of the games? Rockford is all good man?
    I'm pretty sure he meant College Playoff Revelations. He's a football prophet.
    Iím a light eater. As soon as itís light, I start to eat. And I'm on a seefood diet. If I can see food, I'll eat it.

  5. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tmvander View Post
    Am I the only one who noticed Rockford say he was receiving CPR during one of the games? Rockford is all good man?
    Sorry, man. Thanks for your concern, but I was just trying to be funny.

    "everybody knows my name" was funnier.

    Quote Originally Posted by everybody knows my name View Post
    I'm pretty sure he meant College Playoff Revelations. He's a football prophet.

    JTG

  6. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by los venerables View Post
    This is great. I especially like the use of the tenths of a percent to show how precise the measurement is. You'd never know that Minnesota is 12th in the conference in rushing yards per game or 13th in yards per rush. Or 14th in sacks allowed per game as well as tackles for loss allowed per game. But hey, what do those "facts" mean when you've got 4 different guys above "all conference" in one discipline or another?
    Thanks for your contribution. Where should I begin?

    Well, first, let's look at my original post, which only stated that Andries was playing at an all-conference level.

    Then, let's consider the “fact” that three of these five guys were in fact Honorable Mentions on the media's all-conference team last year. Is it beyond the realm of probability that the performances of these three are at least hovering near all-conference level ths year? (Which, BTW, is a more accurate interpretation of what I said in the OP.)

    Second, the tenths of a percent you deride provide the only meaningful distinction in the data. What is more accurate: a 10-point scale or a 100-point scale?

    Finally, I'll stand by my judgement, which was formed while watching 165 offensive plays from scrimmage somewhere around 900 times.

    Now, I don't claim to be an unassailable authority. (“I've never made any secret of the fact I'm just passing through here on my way to Australia.”) But if you think it's untoward of me to provide my opinion after spending that much time with the material, perhaps you'd be better off reading some other threads.

    JTG
    Last edited by rockford; 09-20-2019 at 11:21 AM.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bloomington, MN
    Posts
    3,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockford View Post
    Thanks for your contribution. Where should I begin?

    Well, first, let's look at my original post, which only stated that Andries was playing at an all-conference level.

    Then, let's consider the “fact” that three of these five guys were in fact Honorable Mentions on the media's all-conference team last year. Is it beyond the realm of probability that the performances of these three are at least hovering near all-conference level ths year? (Which, BTW, is a more accurate interpretation of what I said in the OP.)

    Second, the tenths of a percent you deride provide the only meaningful distinction in the data. What is more accurate: a 10-point scale or a 100-point scale?

    Finally, I'll stand by my judgement, which was formed while watching 165 offensive plays from scrimmage somewhere around 900 times.

    Now, I don't claim to be an unassailable authority. (“I've never made any secret of the fact I'm just passing through here on my way to Australia.”) But if you think it's untoward of me to provide my opinion after spending that much time with the material, perhaps you'd be better off reading some other threads.

    JTG
    I appreciate your efforts with this. Looking at the individual games it shows that our line isn’t necessarily terrible, just wildly inconsistent and not playing as a cohesive unit. Los Venerables is just sore about the beat down we gave his team last year.
    "A lot of guys look good running around in underwear." - 414GopherFan

  8. #23

    Default

    What we are finding out, it is difficult for a young offensive lineman to be proficient at both run blocking and pass blocking. Two different “animals “. Takes A+ coaching to handle this dilemma. Teams that do, have great success.

  9. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeshurun View Post
    I appreciate your efforts with this. Looking at the individual games it shows that our line isn’t necessarily terrible, just wildly inconsistent and not playing as a cohesive unit.
    Yes, to a large extent.

    I wouldn't say we're wildly inconsistent. Our strengths are our strengths, and our weaknesses are our weaknesses. But you nailed it with the "cohesive unit" comment. Last year, I was extremely impressed at the ease with which our linemen handed off attackers. Simple twists were no problem. This year, we botch those plays as often as we execute them.

    Inability to make blocks at the second level is another big part of it. Those blocks are integral to springing backs for longer runs, which we've been lacking. You can get a RB through the line, but if the LB is standing there waiting, he ain't going far.

    Patience is likely the best course. As I said elsewhere, I have about two games' worth left.

    JTG
    Last edited by rockford; 09-20-2019 at 12:19 PM.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,617
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by los venerables View Post
    This is great. I especially like the use of the tenths of a percent to show how precise the measurement is. You'd never know that Minnesota is 12th in the conference in rushing yards per game or 13th in yards per rush. Or 14th in sacks allowed per game as well as tackles for loss allowed per game. But hey, what do those "facts" mean when you've got 4 different guys above "all conference" in one discipline or another?
    So, to summarize...

    Someone puts a ton of effort in to come up with a meaningful way to grade offensive line play, spends a ton of time watching games to grade offensive line play, puts that information on a free website, and your response is to trash his work. Nice.

    Because I'm sure you have data play by play to refute what he came up with, right?

    It's not unreasonable to question the ratings or the methods, but hey, why be respectful or appreciative when you can just be snarky?

    Rockford - thanks for the great analysis!

  11. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockford View Post
    I like it!

    Two suggestions, FWIW:

    1) Instead of having each lineman's average represented by a horizontal line, how about just two horizontal lines: one each for the team RER in rushing and pass blocking. That way we can see where a particular player elevated (or brought down) the team average.

    2) Is it possible to stack these, instead of placing them side-by-side? I like my graphics like I like my linemen: the bigger the better.

    Thanks for doing these! They're a most welcome contribution.

    JTG
    I love it! Thanks for the great work you two are doing!

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bloomington, MN
    Posts
    3,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeville Goldy View Post
    So, to summarize...

    Someone puts a ton of effort in to come up with a meaningful way to grade offensive line play, spends a ton of time watching games to grade offensive line play, puts that information on a free website, and your response is to trash his work. Nice.

    Because I'm sure you have data play by play to refute what he came up with, right?

    It's not unreasonable to question the ratings or the methods, but hey, why be respectful or appreciative when you can just be snarky?

    Rockford - thanks for the great analysis!
    He’s a sconnie troll. What do you expect?
    "A lot of guys look good running around in underwear." - 414GopherFan

  13. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeshurun View Post
    He’s a sconnie troll. What do you expect?
    Maybe he can use the RER and go through the rest of the BIG teams and come up with each OL grade so we can compare the entire league. I'm sure the writers and coaches would appreciate it as they would be able to make their All-Conference selections from it.
    Great work Rockford. Keep it up.

  14. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockford View Post
    I like it!

    Two suggestions, FWIW:

    1) Instead of having each lineman's average represented by a horizontal line, how about just two horizontal lines: one each for the team RER in rushing and pass blocking. That way we can see where a particular player elevated (or brought down) the team average.

    2) Is it possible to stack these, instead of placing them side-by-side? I like my graphics like I like my linemen: the bigger the better.

    Thanks for doing these! They're a most welcome contribution.

    JTG
    v0.1 - split into individual imgs in case someone might actually quote one of these one day (ha!), added season to title, removed cuml. avg. line for each player and replaced with cuml. avg. for team.



  15. #30

    Default

    Very, very nice, @MnplsGopher! Thank you!

    I think this gives a clearer indication of who's elevating the average, and who's bringing it down.

    BTW, is the third data point for Andries missing in the Rushing RER graph?

    Still bummed I don't have full-game data for Fresno St. Anybody have any clues to where I can find video?

    JTG

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •